Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory versus new with refreshed design

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About to put a deposit down for new 90d and tesla advisor found an inventory car that has pretty much the same specs with 1k miles
- at a 5k savings. This seems like a good trade off - I like the old design, won't miss the hepa filter, and can buy the new console. And I get it right away. I would like the new headlights but doesn't seem like it is worth the cost or wait.

Am i wrong/will regret it later?

Thanks!!!

It if was me and I wanted the middle console, I'd try to negotiate the retrofit, because
1) I don't see it available in the store anymore
2) It's not cheap and would eat up a good chunk of your savings.

Other than that, given your preference, sounds like a good deal. Btw, personally all I'd want from the refresh is the HEPA, but would not pat $5K for it. The LED lights you actually may not want IMO, here is why:
1) they will probably take longer to defrost in the winter, as LED's are supposed to be more efficient (i.e. produce less heat). It's been a pet pieve of mine and I have the old lights and live in WA, not NY.
2) the old cornering lights offer similar functionality except the extra LED's are near the fog lights instead of in the main light housing.

Oh, one more thing, if you are getting the 19", the old ones look much better IMO. The new slipstreams look similar to turbines in Design Studio, but you have to see them in person, they look like hubcaps IMO (for some odd reason they are cast with a deep groove around the wheel making it look like a separate piece - that groove may also accumulate mud IMO and could be difficult to clean - you can see a little it at the bottom this picture).

Attachments

• slipstream.jpg
    slipstream.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Me, I'd go new. I thought I read that there were 300+ changes under the skin. A year from now once the face lifted models start getting out there, the older S wil, we'll look older. You can call it classic all you want, but short term it will just be "oh look, there's an old one."

The proof will be in early reviews. Me, I'm hoping for further noise reduction, all around, and maybe a faster CPU in the computer to make the interface and browser faster. They need to kick that up a few notches.

The flip side, is that if you can get another $2,500 or more off, than maybe yes.

I still think the delta between old and new is about 10k, or soon will be.

Is the $5k discount in addition to an already depreciated price? If so, and if resale value doesn't play much factor, then it sounds like a good deal. Plus you like the old design anyway.

Although personally I'd do more research on those 300+ changes first.

Take the old one.

If it's a demo car,must think of the amount of nervous sweaty butts sat in that seat projecting hope and good luck in their virgin drive. How many times some confused freshman almost busted a nut under the strong restraint and body weight of lord ludicrous speed.

It's still new, but isn't pure as the drive snow,many she now knows a few things.

Me, I'd go new. I thought I read that there were 300+ changes under the skin. A year from now once the face lifted models start getting out there, the older S wil, we'll look older. You can call it classic all you want, but short term it will just be "oh look, there's an old one."

The proof will be in early reviews. Me, I'm hoping for further noise reduction, all around, and maybe a faster CPU in the computer to make the interface and browser faster. They need to kick that up a few notches.

The flip side, is that if you can get another $2,500 or more off, than maybe yes.

I still think the delta between old and new is about 10k, or soon will be.
I agree with this. With $2500 more off I'd consider it, maybe. Another $5000 off, I'd consider it a deal.
Only $5000 off minus the $1250 for the new middle console and basically receiving an "old model", not much of a deal IMHO.

Can you give more details on the specs you are looking at?

At TeslaInventory.com, I can see in the Discount column that there are 150 inventory cars with discounts of $5000 or more. While most of those are P90D, it looks like there are 20 S90D with discounts that large.

If I didn't already have an S90D on order, I would definitely be tempted by some of these discounts.

It's amazing how little Tesla discounts their "used" cars. If bought a brand new one, owned I for a few months, and put very little miles on it (100-500), what would some of you pay for it?

One other consideration, imagine the amount of interior wear that a showroom car gets.....just something to keep in mind.

What I don't understand when looking at $100,000 cars is why $5,000 is a big concern? If it were a $25,000 car, then sure, I get it. But if you want an old S, then push hard for maximum discounts, because eventually Tesla will do what every car manufacturer does, keep reducing price until they are all cleared.

Will you feel ok getting a $5,000 discount today two weeks from now when you see the same or better specced S $10,000 less? It will happen, and a year from now when there is more data you will start to see a little ledge in the used price differential between the models.

• Informative
Reactions: SΞXY P100D