Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inside the Model X mule - Looking closely...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too bad we can't tell the difference between the gold and the inaccurate predictions (at least until reveal day). From a logic standpoint, if you can't tell the difference, it renders everything as inaccurate. :crying:

Possibly, but then no information at all can also be very inaccurate, because it can surprise you very badly - like when Tesla comes out with new features you just missed. :)

Some times one thing works, at other times another. People need critical reading and thinking, of course, be it official or unofficial data - both data will be inaccurate, official data through omission (they won't tell you what's coming even though they know and it will affect you), unofficial data through unreliability.

It's fun to speculate -- the anticipation and excitement of this moment in time will give way to real X's all over the roads soon enough, and in some small way you'll miss this time -- but I will say that I don't think the exposed A-pillar is worth reading into AT ALL. As a Bay Area resident since Tesla's inception, I've seen enough Validation Prototype Roadsters and Alpha Model S's up close to know that the interiors of these cars are often torn-apart messes for two reasons: they're working on/testing one area of the car and so they don't care about others (in this case the interior appearance or fit and finish), and they're not meant to be seen by the public (en masse).

It's fun to speculate -- the anticipation and excitement of this moment in time will give way to real X's all over the roads soon enough, and in some small way you'll miss this time -- but I will say that I don't think the exposed A-pillar is worth reading into AT ALL. As a Bay Area resident since Tesla's inception, I've seen enough Validation Prototype Roadsters and Alpha Model S's up close to know that the interiors of these cars are often torn-apart messes for two reasons: they're working on/testing one area of the car and so they don't care about others (in this case the interior appearance or fit and finish), and they're not meant to be seen by the public (en masse).

Thank you for the insight on mules past. Good to have that tidbit. Appreciated. That is the kind of stuff an old-timer can bring to the table that some us who live in places that think EVs are something you can measure time with or eat, don't. Definitely something to factor in as we look at possible future photos.

I agree with your message entirely. In some ways many of us will miss the anticipation. It is the same with buying any car and waiting for it to arrive, only amplified. Ancipation during the order wait may be in some ways more enjoyable the car itself ever will be. :) All this will mostly be forgotten and become useless trivia once the release happens. Except for the same reason you gave above: This history may offer glimpses into the next round of Tesla anticipation and analysis, because history can sometimes tell us things about the present.

Some glimpses into the interior (and exterior) of the mules may glean actual information. I don't think the A pillar episode anymore does, though. Since we were able to confirm the A pillar was merely exposed, the chances of it meaning anything special went down from something to pretty much nothing.

I'll post photos for this comment here, so as to not start more threads or populate too generic threads.

Andex23 said:
Best picture yet for some interior speculation...
Zoom in on the passenger A-pillar. Notice anything missing, like a cross brace? I know there was speculation earlier in the thread but this seems to be the best picture that shows the front windshield going all the way back to the B-pillar. That, as a design feature, is substantially different than the Alpha version. It also means that the shape of the car must be fairly close to final.
I'm sure it's been suggested but if the windshield sweeps all the way to the falcon doors the top must electronically tint, if I can dream maybe I you just swipe your finger down or tap to where you want it to darken, also acting like a sun visor.
A screen up top acting as the "mirror" would then be an interesting design option.

All wild ideas and speculation, but nice to imagine Tesla playing w the basic assumptions of what parts a car should have- even if I am the sort of guy who'd rather look at mirrors than at a screen.

FWIW, nearly a year ago an image allegedly leaked on the internet resulted in discussion of side-mounted sun visors on Model X and a windshield extending - without a cross brace - all the way to the falcon wing doors.

The images of the mules at least don't preclude this possibility, indeed it seems a front cross brace is missing - in the gorilla glass thread I speculated might the windscreen be a prime candidate for gorilla glass for extra durability in crashes?

attachment.php?attachmentid=76874&d=1428088025.jpg

The lack of a rear-mirror is discussed in the thread Model X mule(s) show signs of nVidia Tegra X1 Drive PX platform - no rear mirror!

As for speculation of darkening options - of course e.g. Mercedes has done the electrically darkening sunroof, but as a separate element:

Untitled-1_5_jpg_677x1000_q100.jpg

I'll post photos for this comment here, so as to not start more threads or populate too generic threads.
Thanks!
FWIW, nearly a year ago an image allegedly leaked on the internet resulted in discussion of side-mounted sun visors on Model X and a windshield extending - without a cross brace - all the way to the falcon wing doors.
As many others have said before - my biggest worry here is replacement cost. Just because you CAN do it, doesn't always mean it's a sound idea.
The images of the mules at least don't preclude this possibility, indeed it seems a front cross brace is missing - in the gorilla glass thread I speculated might the windscreen be a prime candidate for gorilla glass for extra durability in crashes?
And that might be the answer to the "cost when you get a chip" issue, but then of course the initial cost might be prohibitive. But looking at different pictures that have been posted so far I have to agree, they all seem to sign a (camouflaged) window extending past the "normal" top of the front window.
As for speculation of darkening options - of course e.g. Mercedes has done the electrically darkening sunroof, but as a separate element:
They's have to have a way to darken it. Sadly they tend to prefer all controls on the center console (someone else speculated about a user interface where you would swipe a finger over the glass to dim it). And the more controls are on the center console, the more cluttered and confusing it will get and the harder it will become to operate the individual features. My kids are already quite frustrated with the rear heated seats in the Model S. In our Leaf they have their own switch they can operate. In the Tesla they have to ask me...

Thank you. On-topic is always great! :)

I'm a bit torn on the topic of LCDs on the steering wheel. I mean, I'd love the configurability - and with Tesla I love the fact that when they have hardware that allows software modification they take that to the extreme eventually, so you'd never know how much cool stuff Tesla might do with additional touchscreen... That said, I'm with you about the tactile and ergonomic issues regarding steering wheel controls.

I don't know what to wish for in this case. I wonder if tactile touchscreen technology is too much to wish for yet - or whether it would help at all either.

it could potentially be tactile & a touchscreen. Remember the blackberry.... uhh.. can't remember the model number. That was before the touchscreens were as good as you were today, around 2009 I believe. Instead of a proper touchscreen, they mounted the screen over (essentially) lots of small buttons. A lot of people were a bit annoyed as you got a tactile response from using the "touch" screen. But for a car, this may be exactly what we need?

edit: it was called blackberry storm!
blackberry-9500-storm1.jpg
As you can see it has a touchscreen but the layout looks more like big physical buttons.

Last edited:
From your sig line..

I at least have a reservation on a 135, instead of a 105 :)
Funny - you're the first one to notice and I've had that there for a couple of months :)
I assume there will be a bigger battery at some point, I'm hoping it will be at launch. 40(RIP)/60(RIP)/70/85 so the next one could be 100 or (I'm an optimist (sometimes)) 105. I don't see 135 for another couple of years...

Funny - you're the first one to notice and I've had that there for a couple of months :)
I assume there will be a bigger battery at some point, I'm hoping it will be at launch. 40(RIP)/60(RIP)/70/85 so the next one could be 100 or (I'm an optimist (sometimes)) 105. I don't see 135 for another couple of years...

As a Canadian Res holder, it might be a couple of years before I get an X :)

it could potentially be tactile & a touchscreen. Remember the blackberry.... uhh.. can't remember the model number. That was before the touchscreens were as good as you were today, around 2009 I believe. Instead of a proper touchscreen, they mounted the screen over (essentially) lots of small buttons. A lot of people were a bit annoyed as you got a tactile response from using the "touch" screen. But for a car, this may be exactly what we need?

edit: it was called blackberry storm!
blackberry-9500-storm1.jpg
As you can see it has a touchscreen but the layout looks more like big physical buttons.

Sounds plausible, this would make a lot more sense on a steering wheel (where it would allow, say, four tactile-feeling touch buttons) than on a phone too. :)

A lot of new sightings in recent days including sights inside a mule - the old Model S seat suggests non-final interior and the dash has a interesting protrusion:

model_x_interior_may2015.jpg

Posted on TM forums by Gert van Veen | May 27, 2015

VWVortex.com - Tesla Model X finally spotted testing
View attachment 82261
View attachment 82262
View attachment 82263

- - - Updated - - -

He's positively glowing actually. Hmm.. the martian theme is strong here.

This post was published in the Model 3 thread but this Model X was spotted recently by "Jersey Girl".

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/47953-Check-out-the-prototype-I-drove-by-today?p=1022110&viewfull=1#post1022110

View attachment 82343
Cant get the full resolution of the pic as a file. Flickr won't allow for me to get the file.. Can be sun glare or computer screen..

Does it seem this part of the dash its wrapped?

It indeed seems wrapped but most importantly it seems higher than usual. It may be testing gear only, of course. The other protrusions that come to mind are the 19" screen from the original Model X prototype as well as HUD systems from competitors.

I have no idea what that Model X mule shot shows, though, if anything.

It indeed seems wrapped but most importantly it seems higher than usual. It may be testing gear only, of course. The other protrusions that come to mind are the 19" screen from the original Model X prototype as well as HUD systems from competitors.

I have no idea what that Model X mule shot shows, though, if anything.
This is almost torture, mind you, I'm really not trying to read anything into it. We'll all know soon enough. :tongue:

A close-up to discuss whether the latest mule sighting sports some newer interior, not one (as we assumed of earlier mules) borrowed from Model S as before? This particular mule has an updated-looking nose and possibly more uncamoed rear logos, so could be of newer stock...

At least the speedo area could look different than on Model S, but its detail may just be hidden in the shadow of course. The big screen/vent setup, or what is seen of it, seems similar to Model S though.

Probably nothing to write home about yet, but interesting to see if we get interior glimpses from the latest set of mules prior to launch making it all moot. :)

And yes, rear-view mirror is there.

model_x_mule_august_interior.jpg