Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved Key FOB Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my Tesla Ranger to reroute the antenna and now the key FOB distance is much better. Before it would take several tries when standing directly behind the car (which is usually where I want to lock it from); now it works on the first try. Seems like from most orientations the key FOB will work from about 30 feet or more.

I got my Tesla Ranger to reroute the antenna and now the key FOB distance is much better. Before it would take several tries when standing directly behind the car (which is usually where I want to lock it from); now it works on the first try. Seems like from most orientations the key FOB will work from about 30 feet or more.
Don't they have to take the entire dash off? I was told this would be expensive. Thanks.

Don't they have to take the entire dash off? I was told this would be expensive. Thanks.

They didn't charge me anything. I would think that it should be covered by the warranty: The antenna/wire is apparently wrapped in with other wires and otherwise poorly located and fixing it makes a significant difference. I assume it's Lotus' fault, but Tesla should have eventually noticed the problem and had subsequent cars properly assembled or at least fixed before shipping to customers.

I had a bad key fob in my v2.5, so Tesla replaced the whole in-car module, and while they were at it, they rerouted the wire.

OMG, what a relief! I used to non-joke that the key remote would only work when it was within arm's reach of the actual lock. Now it actually works tens of feet away. BTW, they did it without removing the dashboard, so this might be a DIY job if your warranty has run out.

Any idea where the purple wire is to begin with? I am not really excited about opening the dash, but I don't mind some DIY work either.

It's behind the cover for the trunk release. There are two screws above the headlight controls that hold it on.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376955297.671187.jpg

I just got my Roadster back last week after the motor cut out and I was not able to lock the car from the inside by pushing the lock button, or the outside using the key fob. They have it back in the shop so I'll fill you in on what the problem is. I'm guessing it might be more than just the module.