Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Importing USA Plaid to Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, i would like to import Plaid from USA to Iceland since the delivery time is always getting longer here in Iceland, over one year now.

Anybody have experience importing USA car to Europe? I have few questions.

1. Can i add USA car to my European Tesla account with my other European Tesla’s?

2. Can i change sim card to have the cellular working in my country to have access from Tesla App and streming services? (Are the Tesla in Iceland willing to help me out with that?)

3. Any adapter that will give me reasonable charging speed from Superchargers? (It will be a city car so i am not worried about not getting the fastest chargers (99% charged at home)

4. There is a Tesla dealer here, will they be helpful with USA car, i know the warranty is limited but let say if the battery will fail, can i send the car back to USA in worst case to get that under warranty?

5. Is it worth it if i really like to buy the car now and don’t like to wait year or longer for European version?

Thank you

Hi, i would like to import Plaid from USA to Iceland since the delivery time is always getting longer here in Iceland, over one year now.

Anybody have experience importing USA car to Europe? I have few questions.

1. Can i add USA car to my European Tesla account with my other European Tesla’s?
Probably not.
2. Can i change sim card to have the cellular working in my country to have access from Tesla App and streming services? (Are the Tesla in Iceland willing to help me out with that?)
You can very likely change the SIM, but as stated earlier, Tesla will not help with that. There may also be coding (requiring root) that is required to get it to recognize the new SIM, but if you're lucky it would just be a simple swap.
3. Any adapter that will give me reasonable charging speed from Superchargers? (It will be a city car so i am not worried about not getting the fastest chargers (99% charged at home)
You will not be able to supercharge. The car will come with an adapter to use J1772 chargers though, and if you're lucky you can find a CCS adapter.
4. There is a Tesla dealer here, will they be helpful with USA car, i know the warranty is limited but let say if the battery will fail, can i send the car back to USA in worst case to get that under warranty?
You may be able to send the car back to the US, but Tesla would likely refuse warranty service. If you're friendly with a Service Manager though, it is possible they may work out a deal for you, but I'd be almost certain it's against the warranty terms (though I have not read them in that much detail).
5. Is it worth it if i really like to buy the car now and don’t like to wait year or longer for European version?
As you can likely guess from the above answers, I believe it is certainly worth it to wait a year or longer for the officially supported version, unless you want to be the first person with one and are willing to deal with Tesla disavowing the car. It's very likely you won't have any serious problems, but it would be effectively throwing away the money spent on it if you do. If that's worth it to you, go for it, but do be aware that a lot of features won't work.

Other answers above are great. On #2, the SIM card is easy to change on the EU version of Teslas, but it's quite difficult/impossible on North American versions. It is one area of serious difference. Even if you can change it, it's not clear if there will be any access to Tesla via the SIM. These are paired with agreements Tesla has in each region. It is not like a cell phone where you can slap any SIM car in and arrange with the local cellular operator to connect you up.

For this and so many other reasons, I'd never consider importing an out-of-region car into your area.