Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impact of sound deadening kit on the 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man, I wish I could turn up my radio that high! The most I can get by with is 8 or 10, and normally (especially with a passenger) I have to turn down to about 3, 1, or ... well, there isn't anything between 1 and 0.

I take it that you don't have the 7-speaker Infotainment system. I would actually like to find out how to reduce the amplifier gain, but that's a different topic.

Despite my comments about weight as a consideration, I'm also very keen on keeping the noise down and the sound at a respectable level. My biggest issue is gauging my Roadster versus everyone else's, when I can't actually hear the difference in person. I should probably call in some favors with the local Roadster owners, especially those with a hard top, so I can compare the "average" sound/noise against mine. I doubt any of us will achieve perfect silence, despite the press coverage about silent electrics, but with a decent reference point we can all hopefully reach whatever can be achieved.
You are welcome to stop by in NE Tennessee. I have a hard top as well.

Yes I believe so with two strips in the middle and then the trim peices hold the top and side edges.

I realized that removing the passenger seat involves dismantling the trim for the center console which was just too much work for an afternoon.
I did put sound dampening material (Noico Black 80 Mil - like dynamat but black) on the floor and side of the driver's side.

I also put some in the wheel wells front and back. Pretty easy to do without removing the wheels if you don't mind squeezing your hands in - on the front you can get pretty good access by turning the wheels and in the back I parked it, so that 3 wheels were on the even part of my garage and one was on the "ramp" - that added maybe another 1 inch of space which is all I needed). We will see how well it holds up to dirt and water getting kicked up by the wheels … since it feels like a tar-like glue, it should do pretty well.

I did not record the noise level before but I want to say that it already makes a decent difference. With the top down it is a totally silent driving experience aside from the electric engine when you really step on it ;-)

PS: Drivers side plus wheels used up almost 3 sheets (29,5×19,5 inch) - 2 for the driver's interior and some leftovers plus 1 for the wheels. (When I get to it, I assume the passenger side will also take a little less than 2 sheets plus behind the seats another 2+ sheets)

Last edited:
So I am making another go at this but for the life of me I can't remove the "gaiter" for the parking brake (the leather slip on cover and handle).
Looks like the two screw are missing already on mine but it is not budging.

Any ideas or suggestions? What type of screws are supposed to be in there?

Is it maybe possible to remove the 4 screws for the seat without removing the brake? Which 4 screws is it?

PS I have a 2008/1.5.

Attachments

• brake1.png
    brake1.png
    132.5 KB · Views: 66
  • brake2.png
    brake2.png
    120.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Are you guys trying to access the bolt from the "front" or on the "side" (coming in from the top between the seat and the door sill)?

I tried both: for the side I used an "extended hex wrench" that is at least 5-6 inches long (using a long hex bit and then 2 extensions on a screwdriver).

From the front I could not access the bolt because the small part of the L shape was too long to fit it into the hex-hole. I used an "ikea" sized Allen wrench (from a normal car tools set, so nothing special)

Tried to sketch what I mean:

Wrong angle when come in from the top/side:
front view.png

Unable to fit my allen wrench between the bolt and the seat when coming from the front:
side view.png

Last edited:
Are you guys trying to access the bolt from the "front" or on the "side" (coming in from the top between the seat and the door sill)?

I made my own tool to go in from the front. I took a hex allen wrench and cut off a piece of it about 1/2 inch long. I used a straight one, not ball end. Use the new half-inch piece in the bolt and turn it from the front with an open or box end wrench. The ball-end wrench from the side has too high a risk of damaging the upholstery.

Thank you! I will give it a try with a ballend allen wrench.

In my quest to identify and fix any rattle and squeak, I also figured out a recent rattle that has been driving me insane (as it was only audible during driving somewhere behind me): my middle undershield lost two of the bolts underneath the driver door. Anyone know the size of the bolts? I assume this goes into the aluminum chassis and I don't want to damage the threads.

Hi CoolVariable,

I found myself under the car quite a bit chasing TPMS...
I think some of the belly pans are attached with M6x1.0 bolts.
They were not into the chassis they were mostly those "C" clip nuts.
Try M6x1.0 GENTLY... It might work for you.

Shawn