Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impact of sound deadening kit on the 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't mean to be argumentative or anything :-0 ... but the trouble with such a comparison (unless you took specific care to *NOT* fall into this trap) is that you are most likely comparing reduced treadwear older (previous) AD07's with "suddenly" new (just mounted) full-tread Toyo's. (Many (?all?) tires get noticeably (actually, *NOT* because it happens so slowly) noisier as you add miles to them (i.e. "remove" rubber).)

WRONG!

Last weekend I did a back-to-back comparison. I drove my Roadster with T1Rs, and then immediately another one with AD07s.

Also my T1R rears are almost ready to be replaced, whereas the AD07's had lots of tread left.

Just before my car was delivered, I had the old Toronto 2.0 demo car for half a day. Now this wasn't a back-to-back comparison, but I definitely felt mine was quieter on the highway.
I have a 2.5 and took the Tesla service team on several test drives in my car to gauge the wind noise. There is extreme variability, and it seems to depend upon the wind direction. At first, I had a difficult time hearing any wind noise until I got to 70 mph or 80 mph, which is not how fast I drive. Later in the same day, there was objectionable wind noise at 60 mph that continued all the way down to 55 mph or 50 mph. After spending several hours focused on this problem in a single, specific Roadster, I'm convinced that you cannot judge how 'quiet' a Roadster is unless you happen upon the right conditions.

After the first day the car was literally stripped in my garage. So I went out and purchased another 50 sqft of Dynamat and applied it to the car in places not covered by the factory kit. I applied it inside the doors, the FULL floor and the entire back. It made a noticeable difference..
How much did you reduce your range by adding all of that weight?

Last edited:
I have a 2.5 and took the Tesla service team on several test drives in my car to gauge the wind noise. There is extreme variability, and it seems to depend upon the wind direction. At first, I had a difficult time hearing any wind noise until I got to 70 mph or 80 mph, which is not how fast I drive. Later in the same day, there was objectionable wind noise at 60 mph that continued all the way down to 55 mph or 50 mph. After spending several hours focused on this problem in a single, specific Roadster, I'm convinced that you cannot judge how 'quiet' a Roadster is unless you happen upon the right conditions.

My car originally had wind leaks in the upper front corner of both side windows. They were the source of the bulk of the noise coming into the cabin. I could reduce the noise substantially by squeezing the weatherstripping with my hand. Once the improved seals were added these leaks went away, except once in a while I get a slight bit of leakage at highway speeds under high crosswind conditions.

The combination of the extra seals, hard top, and TIR tires made my Roadster much quieter. It went from "annoyingly loud" to "okay".

My car originally had wind leaks in the upper front corner of both side windows. They were the source of the bulk of the noise coming into the cabin. I could reduce the noise substantially by squeezing the weatherstripping with my hand. Once the improved seals were added these leaks went away, except once in a while I get a slight bit of leakage at highway speeds under high crosswind conditions.

The combination of the extra seals, hard top, and TIR tires made my Roadster much quieter. It went from "annoyingly loud" to "okay".
Thanks for this. I guess I've always had "okay" noise in my hard top Roadster, but I had no frame of reference. In musical terms, it's annoyingly loud, but in practical sports car terms I should probably admit that it's okay. At the very least, I have never been able to cure the noise by pressing on the weatherstripping. Tesla service did align the stripping on the hard top so that it was not sticking out, and I think that may have reduced the noise noticeably. At least they were patient with me as we drove around listening.

WRONG!

Last weekend I did a back-to-back comparison. I drove my Roadster with T1Rs, and then immediately another one with AD07s.

Also my T1R rears are almost ready to be replaced, whereas the AD07's had lots of tread left.
GREAT ! So thanks for adding that info :smile: Like I said: "(unless you took specific care to *NOT* fall into this trap)" ... and it looks like you didn't. For a more scientific comparison you would have to switch all four tires on the two vehicles and run the test again, so as to eliminate noise differences between the two due to non-tire noise issues. But the significantly added effort to do so may not add enough benefit, and the additional info you provided helps, so thanks for that. (The AD07's were indeed on the other Roadster in the "back-to-back comparison", right ?)

Last edited:
I doubt there is a measurable impact on range from the sound damping kit. The total sound deadening material added maybe 10 pounds to the car, less than bringing home 2 gal of milk. The material is not heavy, more akin to wraping the surfaces with a thin blanket. And to me it makes the car sound far more solid. While I still try to avoid potholes the car no longer sounds like it is falling apart when I hit one.

After the first day the car was literally stripped in my garage. So I went out and purchased another 50 sqft of Dynamat and applied it to the car in places not covered by the factory kit. I applied it inside the doors, the FULL floor and the entire back....

Sounds like the Rangers are superior to the Stores in that the above could never be done due to liability issues.

I doubt there is a measurable impact on range from the sound damping kit. The total sound deadening material added maybe 10 pounds to the car, less than bringing home 2 gal of milk. The material is not heavy, more akin to wraping the surfaces with a thin blanket. And to me it makes the car sound far more solid. While I still try to avoid potholes the car no longer sounds like it is falling apart when I hit one.

I was going to ask the same; last time I did some sound insulation work I used 'Dead pads' a think tar like pad that stopt panels resonating. Probably doesn't apply to CF panels but, regardless, good to know that the fix won't upset your 0-60!

Sounds like the Rangers are superior to the Stores in that the above could never be done due to liability issues.

I have to admit is was a pleasure to work with Alberto, the ranger, as he was very willing to answer my questions, or at least those he was at liberty to answer. The servicing and the sound kit took two days, one quite long. I was able to be with him about 1/3 of the time and then I was able to spend a few hours adding to the sound deadening kit the first night after he left. He was then able to inspect my work the next morning. Getting a closer look at the Roadster was one of the reasons for adding the sound deadening kit as I knew there would be quite a bit of disassembly.

I doubt there is a measurable impact on range from the sound damping kit. The total sound deadening material added maybe 10 pounds to the car, less than bringing home 2 gal of milk.
I guess it depends upon your perspective. Autocross fanatics would say that 10 lbs is huge! I realize that lightening your Roadster is not for everyone, but it's still a tradeoff worth considering when it comes to luxury upgrades like sound deadening.

I went out and purchased another 50 sqft of Dynamat and applied it to the car in places not covered by the factory kit.
attachment.php?attachmentid=2366&d=1313544958.jpg
Dynamat Xtreme weights almost half a pound per square foot. How much of that 50 sqft did you use?

OK maybe I added 20 lbs to the Tesla, or less than 1% of the total weight. But I reduced the noise a good 9db which is VERY nice on the 99.9% of the time I am not autocross racing. I can now listen to the radio with the volume at 18. I used to have the radio at 25 when at highway speeds. For me and my ears it is a welcome tradeoff.

I found out the Dynamat kit has 12 sqft and weighs 5.5 lbs. So with two kits I added about 10 lbs and the factory kit added about the same for a total of 20 lbs.

Last edited:
I can now listen to the radio with the volume at 18. I used to have the radio at 25 when at highway speeds. For me and my ears it is a welcome tradeoff.
Man, I wish I could turn up my radio that high! The most I can get by with is 8 or 10, and normally (especially with a passenger) I have to turn down to about 3, 1, or ... well, there isn't anything between 1 and 0.

I take it that you don't have the 7-speaker Infotainment system. I would actually like to find out how to reduce the amplifier gain, but that's a different topic.

Despite my comments about weight as a consideration, I'm also very keen on keeping the noise down and the sound at a respectable level. My biggest issue is gauging my Roadster versus everyone else's, when I can't actually hear the difference in person. I should probably call in some favors with the local Roadster owners, especially those with a hard top, so I can compare the "average" sound/noise against mine. I doubt any of us will achieve perfect silence, despite the press coverage about silent electrics, but with a decent reference point we can all hopefully reach whatever can be achieved.

I too just had the sound dampening done to my Roadster 1.5 and I am very pleased. The ranger said I now have the quietest Roadster on the road as we went way above the normal factory kit. I was fortunate to have the ranger install the kit at a home visit. After the first day the car was literally stripped in my garage. So I went out and purchased another 24 sqft of Dynamat and applied it to the car in places not covered by the factory kitView attachment 2366. I applied it inside the doors, the FULL floor and the entire back. It made a noticeable difference. I tried a little app for my phone and it seemed to drop sound levels from 6-11db

100 hz the sound dropped from 42-36db,
@ 400 hz 42-36 db
@ 1200 hz 36-28db
@ 4000 hz 18-10db
@12000 hz 14-3db

The measurements were at 60 with the soft top on. I also switched out my rear tires to the Continental Extreme Contact DWS at about the same time and I think they also made a slight improvement. The car definitely feel much more refined and hopefully my hearing will last a lot longer.

How is the "carpet" behind the seat attached to the car? Velcro?