Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm in mourning!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An update; The car is still at the shop. It looks like it'll be at least another 2 weeks yet. State Farm didn't really help by initially sending an adjuster that didn't really know what he was looking at and approving a low estimate which was never gonna work. They have got some of the new parts in (wheel and panel) although the guy thinks they may have to get another new part yet which will mean another adjuster visit to approve it. I think at this rate by the time my vanity plate arrives, I might just have it back!

A Model S loner? You gotta be kidding! SF offers only Enterprise or Hertz rentals. I have a rental Toyota Corrolla, that's it. IF the bodywork repair were done through Tesla themselves then it might be possible for an MS loner but as they don't - it isn't. The only good part is SF are paying for the rental (except for the gas).

A light at the end of the tunnel. Looks like I'll have "The Beest" back by either the 13th or the 16th. I'm now priority #1 :smile: That'll make it nearly 6 weeks to repair the damage. My takeaway from it all, if you want the repairs done quickly avoid State Farm insurance for Tesla's (if you can). Here in South FL at least they have a very slow approval system for high end or rare cars. The two other Tesla's First Class Auto were dealing with ahead of me were both on SF insurance which caused the backlog.

I happened to stop by First Class Auto today to see what's going on and apart from the usual State Farm delays (again!), they've got it all stripped down and ready to go. They're just waiting for the adjuster to show up and give the go ahead. I took a couple of pics. It's quite amazing just how much they've had to strip away to repair what seems such a small amount of damage. I think it shows just how committed they are to attention to details. It looks like the total cost for this repair will run more than $20k!

2013-09-10 15.40.35.jpg
2013-09-10 15.40.45.jpg

Probably not. They think it'll be the 18th now assuming the State Farm adjuster shows up tomorrow. SF assure me that is the case. I will be checking tomorrow to make sure. I've drafted a letter of complaint to the SF CEO as I'm not happy with them at all. According to First Class Auto, SF is the only one they have trouble with.

Light at the end of a long tunnel! I just had some pics emailed to me this morning and it shows the paintwork done (bumper and door included, not pictured) and partially buffered. As you guessed, it didn't make the 18th but it should be done by late tomorrow or Wednesday. That's more than 7 weeks! Hopefully I'll have a happy update to report by Wednesday.

photo 1.JPG

BRIT4864: Wow...I had to re-read this thread a few times....very informative...but my how quickly the estimate went from $1,300 to over $20,000!!! Thank you (and to others) for posting their experiences.

It is quite amazing how much it's ended up at. State Farm's first estimate was $7700 which is nowhere near adequate and they knew that yet still persisted with that initial low estimate. The total is just over $22k. All I can say is don't get hit in a Tesla. It'll be very expensive and will take ages to repair.

My S was hit a couple of weeks ago. Most of the damage went to the second row door on the driver side, but the quarter panel and wheel both took some minor damage. The estimate is for almost $17k! The quarter panel is very expensive to replace, due to a large amount of labor involved. The shop quoted 22.5 hours to remove and install that one panel. Looking at it, it's hard to believe that the quarter panel can't be repaired in place, but the shop says it has to be replaced, and the adjuster approved it.

It's back! Looks like it never happened now. They did a good job although it'll have to go back in about a month because there is a small mark on the right side of the bumper which occurred while it was in the shop. They say it's an easy fix. So nice to cruise down I-95/I-595 in style again. ECO PWR is back in business :smile:

IMG_20130925_195446a.jpg