Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you were not getting a Model S what would you get

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure the Tesla people read these forums, so for what it's worth...

I know Mr. Musk is looking to change a lot about the car industry, but if there is any part worth saving, it is the ownership experience with Lexus. So far I've owned Audi, BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus. Lexus excels in attention to detail in design and manufacture, as well as having a painless service center. I like Tesla's policy of sending to service tech to your house... that is a nice option, Lexus could learn from that. But Tesla needs to look hard at the Lexus experience and try to incorporate their best practices. With the BMW and Mercedes, I could tell that those companies tried to make a smooth service experience, but they failed to match Lexus.

That's really interesting. Care to elaborate with some examples?

I only have experience with Mercedes. On the sales side it's really hit or miss and mostly their sales team at my local dealer conjure feelings of used car salesmen (the men especially, women are much more personable though). With one year service intervals at least I don't have to see them for another 364 days.

With my current Mercedes (SL-55AMG), it seems to have problems all the time. I feel as though it is a poorly designed and manufactured vehicle. I also had a CLK-55AMG, it had fewer problems. When I bring the Mercedes in for service: I drive up, my service technician comes out to meet me, we discuss the vehicle, I get my insurance and drivers license, we walk over to the Enterprise desk, I wait as paperwork is filled out for the Enterprise loaner, I am asked if I want supplemental insurance to cover excessive wear on the loaner vehicle, I do a walk around on the loaner vehicle with the Enterprise rep to check for damage, we note the status of the fuel gauge, and I drive off. When I bring my Lexus in for service: I drive up, my service technician comes out to meet me, we discuss the vehicle, he gives me a key, I drive off in the loaner vehicle.

I realize the difference is subtle, but the Lexus experience is unmatched! In addition, I am a bit pissed because of the two Mercedes I've owned, one was average, and one was a piece of s**t. Of the two Lexus I've owned, one was above average, the other excellent with regard to attention to detail with design and manufacture. So as a result, the overall experience was better with Lexus.

I realize that everyone is going to have a different experience as well as a different opinion. I am only offering my opinion, because I was asked.
(sorry for being so far off topic... this thread isn't about what our favorite car experiences have been. I was only suggesting that Tesla look to Lexus as an example of a company with top-notch customer satisfaction) I want to love my Roadster/Model S as much as I love my Lexus.

I will be replacing a Lexus IS-F, and I have the exact same experiences as kgb. Been down the route with Mercedes, Porsche, Volvo, etc. Nothing compares to Lexus service, attitude, and treatment. I truly hope Tesla will be the same because I'm getting the Model S no matter what. I'm equally excited about getting a car designed and built in the Bay Area, my home town.

I'll be replacing a 2007 Honda Fit - Base Model.

(With all the Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Infiniti, and Lexus people here, I feel out of place.)

As other electric cars begin to appear, the wait for my Model S will be more difficult.

If it appears my Model S will be delayed until 2013, I might trade my Fit for a Nissan Leaf, then replace the Leaf with my Model S.

We'll be replacing either a 2001 Alfa Romeo 156 Sportwagon or a 2001 Think City model 4, depending on wether the Model S can replace the Alfa or not. If I can get hold of 400 V three phase midway between our house and my wifes parents, we will be ICE-less :)

Last edited:
The dealership that services both my Lexus vehicles (what's plural for Lexus...Lexi or Lexus's:confused:) owns the local BMW & Mercedes dealerships as well...my neighbour has a BMW & 2 Mercedes...When my vehicle is due for service, I can call Lexus...they will send out a driver with a courtesy car, and take my vehicle in for service...then return it at the end of the day...no such concierge service from BMW or Mercedes...it burns my neighbour's butt :biggrin::biggrin:

That's really interesting. Care to elaborate with some examples?

I only have experience with Mercedes. On the sales side it's really hit or miss and mostly their sales team at my local dealer conjure feelings of used car salesmen (the men especially, women are much more personable though). With one year service intervals at least I don't have to see them for another 364 days.

Jaff,

I forgot about that option, but we have that here in Houston as well (with Lexus). With Mercedes, I can drop off my vehicle, and they have a driver who will drop me off at work, and pick me up after. I prefer when they pick up and drop off the car.

Replacing a 2002 VW Passat Kombi (Sedan) , with 391.000 km (242.956 miles) with a fine diesel engine.
Actually I'm doing it already, the Passat has to park on the road, the garage is reserved for the Roadster
I try to use my Roadster as often as possible, even for business trips if possible.

first post

i got the reservation no p119 for canada. i replace a 1993 gas station wagon volvo 940 485000 km 303000 miles very reliable and comfortable car but this car consumed more than this initial value in gas in its life around 45000$ cad value 32000$ cad time to recycle it. i got a 1985 chevrolet 4x4 diesel pick up that run on vegetable oil i need it sometimes not a replacement and a 1987 300d 3 liter turbo diesel mercedes that run on veggie too not a replacement this car can drive 2500 km 1562 miles whitout stoping it both tank diesel and veggie + good performance no other car can do it.

very happy to become one of the first s future owner in quebec canada. electric power in quebec are very cheap and clean.

Last edited: