Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you do not mind, Please post your trade in offer from Tesla so we can compare note

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems evident to me that Tesla is not selling these vehicles themselves but are selling them to other dealers. I'm sure they're planning to start a CPO program, but I don't think any of the vehicles they're buying right now are going to be used for that.

I can not flush this out any more at this time but I will say from personal experience that-

(1) Tesla is significantly under bidding wholesale numbers for the cars and

(2) Tesla appears to be sharply moving away from selling their MS trade ins to dealers to keeping the cars and actively attempting to exclude dealers.

I am in the middle of things right now and will add more fact based information when I can.

breser I recall you were willing to lose the $2500 deposit to get the sensors, so consider it just another $1800 to get a brand new vehicle with 2500 less miles.

please keep up updated with your decision, be interested to know what premium you place on the autopilot features.

I'll be accepting their offer of $82,000. We're working out the details now. I haven't said anything till now because I asked if my aftermarket paint protection or tint would raise the quote any. They told me they couldn't give me anything for that because anything aftermarket that's been done is a risk for them because they have to stand behind it. So it's actually more than just the $4,320 since I have to add the price of the aftermarket changes. Bringing it closer to $7k.

If retrofit seemed possible I figured I would go as far as paying $5k to do it. So this is going another $2k beyond that for a whole new vehicle. As much as I hate to spend this money, I realize that if I'm not happy in 3-4 years trading is going to be far more expensive. For one thing the sales tax exemption goes away on July 1st, 2015 here. But I'd also expect the federal tax credit to be working towards phasing out by then (if not already be gone entirely). I'm sure that Tesla will roll out new improvements over the life of the car, but this seems like a huge thing to miss out on now for me.

At this point I'm trying to decide if I want to wait till February and order with AWD. AWD isn't really a huge deal to me, but the extra range is attractive.

I should clarify though, you do have to have the tax liability to get any benefit from taking the credit. The maximum credit is equal to your tax liability. So if you had $14,000 tax liability in 2014 and took 2 EV credits worth $15,000. You'd lose that $1,000. If you expected your 2015 liability to be more than $7,500 then you would indeed be better off waiting until 2015 to get the second vehicle.In my particular situation a second credit in 2014 is not an issue.

But I've decided to get the 85D. If I'm going to wait I might as well get the AWD.

I am going for a test drive in the Tesla next week. If I decide to go the Tesla route I would be very interested in purchasing a used vehicle for the right price. If anyone on the East Coast is interested in selling privately let me know. I do not think I will benefit a whole lot from the $7500 tax break so a used car may fit my bill. But I will check with my accountant to see if it helps.