Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you do not mind, Please post your trade in offer from Tesla so we can compare note

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2013 fully loaded P85+ with 18.5k miles = $74.5k offer from tesla. That's BS and I should be able to get 95+k on private market for that.

If you can get $95k for your car, please let us know. I have a similarly optioned car with similar miles, but I really don't think I could ever get $95k, simply because someone could order a brand new P85D[+] for about $20k more, and that adds dual motors and auto-pilot, better HP and 0-60, plus all the extra features since our cars were built (folding mirrors, parking sensors, etc). $95k sounds like a tough sell compared to that. I'd think $85k is more like it for cars like ours. And that means to "upgrade" to P85D, it would cost us over $40k. Sucks for all Model S.v1 owners. As soon as the Oct 9 event was over, I said to my g/f "well, my car just lost $20k of value in 10 minutes". But yeah, $75k from Tesla is a BS offer.

I'll get this rolling with a second-hand quote a friend got from Tesla, looking to trade up to P85D:

"$67,900 trade-in for my P 85. It has 16,000 miles on it, was built towards the end of August 13"

It was a demo bought in:

"January ('14) from the showroom floor in Los Angeles for $100,500 with approximately 1500 miles on it"

Sorry, but that car is worth much more than that. It is barely used. Next!

I called customer service Friday and they were quick to respond... For my three week old P85+ with 440 miles they offered me 110k. MSRP was 128k and after sales tax and doc fees out the door was 140k. Factor in the 7500 Fed credit and I would take a loss of 22.5k

The P85D I would like is about 9k more then my current P85+ and then I would have to pay all the sales tax again.

Like many on the forums have said it was a bummer that my vehicle missed the new upgrades but I love my new Model S and I am very fortunate to have been able to financially afford it. If I was to seriously blow 22.5k just to have the latest and greatest I am afraid most of my friends and family would say the "D" stood for Duschbag.

At this point I am going to enjoy my beautiful brand new P85+ for three years and take advantage of the resale guarantee with Tesla (or sell privately) and get a P125D+ :wink:

Wow, in NY when you trade you only pay sales tax on the increment.

Given the tax credit that looks more like a $10k hit. So upgrade is $19k and tax on $19k. And dont you get another credit - making it closer to $12k? And you got an awesome car in the meantime.

A really sweet deal IMO.

In CA you pay tax again full price... Is my math off TedKidd?

22.5 loss on trade is pretty straight forward... 9k extra for P85D... New sales tax/fees would be 13.5k. Total 45k - 7,500 fed - 2,500 CA Rebate. So 35k to switch... For essentially something that could have originally been had for 9k.

Maybe I am doing the math all wrong???

Now Tesla Motors is becoming no different than a traditional dealer... And the fact that they reduced the prices of the new cars that already contain the new standard autopilot has screwed us all.

Everyone paying attention knew, that both active safety (autopilot) and AWD were planned upgrades/options - we just didnt know when it will be released. Some were lucky and some were unlucky - thats life.

Lack of model years have both advantages and disadvantages.

When i buy something, I buy it based on features, performance and prices at that time. If someone get better deal later, I dont consider it to be a tragedy. It helps, that I tend to drive my cars into the ground, so resell price doesnt concern me.

From my own experience with the P85+, be prepared for sobering trade in values if you want to involve Tesla. The turn-around is going to be $30-40k for a D as people have already stated.

I think what everyone should really be working on (and not sure this is realistic) is to try to not sell one of these privately (in a public way, like eBay) for a ridiculously low price, no matter how badly you want a D. Even if a handful of people could sell their P85s at $95-100k or more, you then have got something to comp. But if you've got a couple who sell for $75k, then everyone is screwed. From selling things on eBay before, buyers really do their research on the comps and factor in the extra costs/fees and try to use that to lower the price, as they should. Again, probably unrealistic, but you (ie knowledgeable TMC members) have a small period of time to set your own market or blow it up.

Tesla is going to offer MUCH MUCH lower than you can get private because they are going to clean up your car and resell it through certified preowned. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually exceed their margins on the certified preowned cars vs new cars. Unless you're cool is throwing away thousands of dollars for no reason, everybody should be selling their car privately instead of trade in through tesla.

Mods,
Can you please cull this thread back to just listed configurations and trade in pricing so that other viewers visiting can get quick, clear and concise information without having to wade though a lot of conversation that is being covered in other threads?

Thanks Much,
Bill

If this does not happen, do other posters mind if I copy your configuration and offer updates to the first post?

I followed the link on the Tesla's home page "evaluate your trade-in" which takes you to a "Please contact me" page. Is that how you guys are receiving these quotes? The depreciation hit is going to be worse than I had anticipated. I'm still debating what to do. The run up on TSLA has been nice, so I may take some of those unrealized profits to offset the loss. Probably a silly way of looking at it, but.. oh well.

2014 P85 pretty much fully loaded, 6000 miles. ($97,000 Tesla offer).....Im taking the offer.

Wow, that's a great offer. Congrats.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure how, regarding trade ins, we would have thought differently.

I would have thought they would be a little different. Like Elon Musk said, "service shouldn't be a profit center".. and while they do need to make money on the CPO program to cover inspection, repairs and insurance (like lemon law for used cars), I would have thought that maybe, just maybe, in this case with the announcement of the "D" that Tesla would have made "reasonable" offers to anyone wanting to sell back their cars in order to order a "D" car. Or maybe but a time limit on it -- so they say "For the next 4 weeks, our offers for Model S trade-ins for the D will be valued at 10% below market value" or some special deal to ease the pain of people who just bought cars and don't want to feel screwed over. Tesla wouldn't be losing money on the trade-ins, and they'd still be making full profit on selling the new D's.

But that's just a dream, apparently.