Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

if you didn't buy a prepaid service plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I emailed ownership to clarify what is evident to most people, that their is zero difference other than a discount and here is their response: ( I removed his name)
My name is XXXX. and I'm an Ownership Experience Advocate with Tesla. I'd be happy to answer your question. The service plan is simply a purchase of annual inspections in larger scale, giving you a discount on the individual inspection from $600 to about $475 ($1,900/4). Our inspection is consistent whether you purchase a plan or pay as you go.

This thread is proof that tesla has communication issues at the corporate level as well as service center level.

Ridiculous that we're still having this discussion a year later...

Tesla messed up in this area, and I suspect they can't fix their messaging without angering a bunch of people who bought or didn't buy the plan based on hearsay and blog posts last year. So, they just keep quiet, and treat customers as best as they can on an individual basis.

Per the message capt601 got, they do refer to it as an inspection charge (or a package of inspection charges), which might be why some service centers think it's OK to not do certain things that aren't covered in a standard inspection (unless you bought a "service plan")? Just wish they would be consistent is all

I stopped in at the Rockville Service Center this afternoon to ask about this issue once more. Spoke to 2 different people there and was told in no uncertain terms that an alignment is included ONLY if you have the prepaid plan. They said that when the car is brought in for service they will examine the tires to recommend whether or not an alignment should be done, but that the alignment is an extra cost service not included in the $600 annual service fee. However, they said that if one purchases the prepaid plan, the alignment is included for no added cost.

I have been told the same thing by 4 different people now.

I stopped in at the Rockville Service Center this afternoon to ask about this issue once more. Spoke to 2 different people there and was told in no uncertain terms that an alignment is included ONLY if you have the prepaid plan. They said that when the car is brought in for service they will examine the tires to recommend whether or not an alignment should be done, but that the alignment is an extra cost service not included in the $600 annual service fee. However, they said that if one purchases the prepaid plan, the alignment is included for no added cost.

I have been told the same thing by 4 different people now.

Fascinating that there is AFAICT no description of this in the service plan write-ups. Nothing that promises that bonus for pre-pay. I didn't pre-pay precisely because there was nothing in writing that differentiated what you receive and so I felt the time-value of money was in favor of not pre-paying.

Fascinating that there is AFAICT no description of this in the service plan write-ups. Nothing that promises that bonus for pre-pay. I didn't pre-pay precisely because there was nothing in writing that differentiated what you receive and so I felt the time-value of money was in favor of not pre-paying.

There is nothing inwriting because it is a service center going out on their own. I'm guessing they will be receiving some basic training soon, or find out they have some pissed off customers that don't receive the exact same treatment.

There is nothing inwriting because it is a service center going out on their own. I'm guessing they will be receiving some basic training soon, or find out they have some pissed off customers that don't receive the exact same treatment.
It's definitely a little frustrating. Everyone gets different answers. Ownership is arguably the most trustworthy, but it sounds like the SC will still claim whatever they want and they're the ones you're going to have to argue with when it comes time. I was going to get the plan either way, so I really don't care if there's any additional perks or not, it would just be nice to have a consistent message from Tesla.

Sounds like our experiences are all over the map. I took my car in at 11 months to have a few minor items addressed. At no charge, they fixed the 5 items I took it in for, plus applied a handful of service bulletins and rotated my tires. All of this was done at no cost, and I have not purchased a prepaid plan. I have my annual inspection in 2 weeks, which I expect to pay $600 for.

I am all for an SC using their discretion to apply "good will", but the minimum service that is included needs to be crisply and consistently communicated. My personal understanding is that between the warranty and service, everything is covered except tire wear.

Note that the Rockville service Center is not just an ordinary service center. It is more than just a service center. Besides providing service for vehicles in the Washington DC, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia area, it is also the distribution center for the east coast. Anyone that needs parts for the car (such as body panels) are getting them from this facility. The original head service manager was Lenny Peake, who was promoted to oversee all the Northeast locations. Nathan is the current head of the Rockville Service Center. All important personnel at this location get direct training in California. In summary, they should know what they are talking about when they say that the actual performing of an alignment (as opposed to examining the tires to recommend whether an alignment is needed) is an extra cost item, unless the prepaid plan was purchased (in which case the performing of the alignment is at no cost.

While it is possible that each service center may make their own "rules" on this issue, this is the policy for all owners in DC, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia.

I've been told that the service people are instructed to "go the extra mile" to make the owners that pre-purchased service agreements satisfied customers.

Seriosuly?,?,! Who would you want to keep happy? The suckers that prepaid or the suckers that are paying $150 extra? Sad that tesla is even communicating this, if it is true.

- - - Updated - - -

Note that the Rockville service Center is not just an ordinary service center. It is more than just a service center. Besides providing service for vehicles in the Washington DC, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia area, it is also the distribution center for the east coast. Anyone that needs parts for the car (such as body panels) are getting them from this facility. The original head service manager was Lenny Peake, who was promoted to oversee all the Northeast locations. Nathan is the current head of the Rockville Service Center. All important personnel at this location get direct training in California. In summary, they should know what they are talking about when they say that the actual performing of an alignment (as opposed to examining the tires to recommend whether an alignment is needed) is an extra cost item, unless the prepaid plan was purchased (in which case the performing of the alignment is at no cost.

While it is possible that each service center may make their own "rules" on this issue, this is the policy for all owners in DC, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia.

I'm guessing Rockville will have some training coming very soon.

Consider this:
We been told that all wear items except tires are included in the prepaid service plan.
If a single service was the same, what should tesla do if a customer wich does not have a prepaid plan, turn in his tesla for anual service and a item not mentioned in the service check list need to be replaced ?

E.g. If a wear item needs to be replaced like a wheel bearing
i would expect them to carge both for the time and the repair item, while i expect this to e included with the prepaid service plan.

Last edited:
Consider this:
We been told that all wear items except tires are included in the prepaid service plan.
If a single service was the same, what should tesla do if a customer wich does not have a prepaid plan, turn in his tesla for anual service and a item not mentioned in the service check list need to be replaced ?

E.g. If a wear item needs to be replaced like a wheel bearing
i would expect them to carge both for the time and the repair item, while i expect this to e included with the prepaid service plan.

Very easy to answer. The person that showed up and paid $600 for the service gets it replaced free of charge just like those of you that gave tesla money upfront for a discount, for the same service. Same items are covered whether you lay $600 or prepaid with tesla. You are paying for the exact same service, just a different price. Simple. Nothing Extra for prepay. Just a discount.

In some ways, I don't really care what Tesla's exact policy is...

...but I am seriously offended that Tesla did not design a policy, write it up, vet it, and verify it, before selling people services. I know Tesla's in a rush all the time, but at some point a company has to slow down and start having procedures, and that point should have been a year and a half ago.

According to the Tesla website the only differentiation between the annual, 4 year plan and 4 year plan + extension is the price and length. The price structure is featured underneath the explanation of what the service is. Sounds like it should cover everything but tires

- - - Updated - - -

I was also told that if you buy the 4 year plan there was not a 50k mileage limit. I expect to drive the car 25k miles per year so the prepaid plan would cost me much more if they adhere to the policy listed on the website.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 439
Prepaid or not, the annual service is the same and now includes alignment. I had mine in December and they fixed 17 issues, including alignment. Of the 17 items, I didn't report any of the issues because I simply didn't think anything needed to be done. Some of the 17 were parts replacement: 12v, instrument cluster, interior & exterior trim pieces, etc...I didn't think I needed any of the parts replaced but they did it anyway. Some of the fixes were from service bulletins, some not. I am not on the prepaid plan.