Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is MY idea, you can't have it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after neglecting my tire rotation (to the point of having to buy new tires a season early), I have a neato-peato idea. Tesla, name it after me, please. And a thank-you from Elon would be great, too.

Why can't Tesla add a button/app on the odometer screen of every Tesla that allows you to trigger a pop-up message every so many miles (mileage and text message of your choosing). This way I could setup a reminder every 5,000 miles (for example) to say "Rotate tires". Or to setup another reminder, say annually or every 10,000 miles for "get an alignment". I simply don't remember to write down the mileage when I rotate my tires, so a reminder app based on time or mileage would be VERY helpful. Another enhancement: trigger a message at a particular mileage point, something like when you reach 100,000 miles, take in for service.

For even more sophistication, you could setup a small history grid that shows, for example, the miles and date you bought new tires, performed some sort of maintenance, etc. A Tesla can even detect when you've rotated/swapped your tires by the movement of the TMPS sensors. The historical list is less likely to get implemented, it's just an extension of my first idea.

-WH

• Love
Reactions: hydro
When I replaced my Yoke last month, service noted I was due for a tire rotation. They could do it at the same time the remote service was being done. Ended up taking it to local tire shop, where they did it for free. Due to staggered tires, I could only rotate them front to back.

You'd think TeslaFi would have a notification feature that would push this to you when your car hits a certain amount of miles. They have all kinds of similar notifications that push to your phone. Probably pretty simple to add this.
We are far more likely to get TeslaFi to respond to this request than tesla. But it is important to note, this is tesla's responsibility and something that should be actioned before adding something not useful (like more games or fart sounds or easter eggs that take over your car and are not cancelable.)

Reactions: Panoz
Yes, the tires don't wear that differently. But Tesla tires wear out _fast_, too fast, and so you may find yourself wanting to make a warranty claim (until the taker makers learn not to warrant the tires on Teslas.) But if you want that warranty claim you have to show you did the rotation required by the warranty. So yes, a reminder alert would be handy. First time it pops up you could have a box to say, "Turn off this reminder" for people annoyed by it. Or Snooze it, like the software update one.

And yes, the tire service count is now built into the software if you set it when you get tire service. I used to devote one of my few odometers to it. I don't think there should be a fixed number of odometers, frankly. It now has an option as to whether a given odometer shows up in the short list, so why not allow lots of them? I have one doing whole life (because that's the only way to get wh/mile for whole life) and for the life of the tires (again to see wh/mile) but I like to do them on road trips, and sometimes for waypoints if my instructions say, "Go 11.3 miles from the barn."

I’m likely the odd one out but I have never rotated my tires on any car and having had an issue no seen any noticeable difference. Last checked at 20k and all tread depths looked equal.
I was actually YOU this last set of tires...I *thought* I checked the tread often and therefore stopped attempting the rotation. I was stunned when I took of the rear passenger tire and it was bald on half of the tire. This is why I need a reminder.

Yes, the tires don't wear that differently. But Tesla tires wear out _fast_, too fast, and so you may find yourself wanting to make a warranty claim (until the taker makers learn not to warrant the tires on Teslas.) But if you want that warranty claim you have to show you did the rotation required by the warranty. So yes, a reminder alert would be handy. First time it pops up you could have a box to say, "Turn off this reminder" for people annoyed by it. Or Snooze it, like the software update one.

And yes, the tire service count is now built into the software if you set it when you get tire service. I used to devote one of my few odometers to it. I don't think there should be a fixed number of odometers, frankly. It now has an option as to whether a given odometer shows up in the short list, so why not allow lots of them? I have one doing whole life (because that's the only way to get wh/mile for whole life) and for the life of the tires (again to see wh/mile) but I like to do them on road trips, and sometimes for waypoints if my instructions say, "Go 11.3 miles from the barn."
I like the idea of multiple odometers, but only if you could name them and enable a pop-up.

I have set up Home Assistant to act as my maintenance tracker. It will add to do list items for me automatically when they are due by time or by mileage. This a game changer on keeping up with mx on the 3 vehicles in the family.

When I replaced my Yoke last month, service noted I was due for a tire rotation. They could do it at the same time the remote service was being done. Ended up taking it to local tire shop, where they did it for free. Due to staggered tires, I could only rotate them front to back.

If you have a staggered setup and your shop is rotating front to back, you need to find a new shop.