Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3.0 upgrade for basic AP owners now free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, do/did you have EAP and the option of the FSD subscription for $100/month? Or are you still required to pay $6k for FSD, but you already got the chip upgrade for free?
I have basic Autopilot so I now have the option for a $199/mo subscription. Previously it said “hardware upgrade required for $1,000” but I got that upgrade for free.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
UPDATE: my friend received an updated service estimate late Friday and it is now showing him the $1,000 charge. Keep in mind he had already pre-approved another estimate that was $0 (similar to me). He is still planning to go in for the upgrade regardless on Monday.

As far as autopilot differences in HW2.5 v 3 the stop sign, and stop line visualizations are welcome and it seems much more accurate at visualizing cones. Driving my work commute the past 2 days it definitely feels more confident in lane keeping through high speed turns on I-75 (there are many on my commute). Certainly less ping-ponging within the lane and better following behavior in bumper to bumper traffic. Almost like it can “see“ better and react accordingly. The follow behavior is the biggest improvement I have noticed. Will update after a full week of driving.

Just wondering if this pricing change was meant to coincide with the FSD price increase? Maybe the subscription prices will change too? So, for AP owners, the old pricing of $1000 for the chip and $199 a month, becomes $0 for the chip, and something a little higher for the subscription, but currently still showing $199?

As an EAP owner, I still show $1000 for the chip plus $99 a month for FSD.

Reactions: dek526
UPDATE: my friend received an updated service estimate late Friday and it is now showing him the $1,000 charge. Keep in mind he had already pre-approved another estimate that was $0 (similar to me). He is still planning to go in for the upgrade regardless on Monday.

As far as autopilot differences in HW2.5 v 3 the stop sign, and stop line visualizations are welcome and it seems much more accurate at visualizing cones. Driving my work commute the past 2 days it definitely feels more confident in lane keeping through high speed turns on I-75 (there are many on my commute). Certainly less ping-ponging within the lane and better following behavior in bumper to bumper traffic. Almost like it can “see“ better and react accordingly. The follow behavior is the biggest improvement I have noticed. Will update after a full week of driving.
Should also have speed limit sign visualization and adjustment.

In trying to decide about whether to upgrade the chip, I tried to think about whether the AP software would be "better" with a new HW3 chip, since the software version would be the same. I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't see any real difference other than the normal variation from one person's car to another's, unless I got FSD. Interesting to hear that you notice a difference.

Just wondering if this pricing change was meant to coincide with the FSD price increase? Maybe the subscription prices will change too? So, for AP owners, the old pricing of $1000 for the chip and $199 a month, becomes $0 for the chip, and something a little higher for the subscription, but currently still showing $199?

As an EAP owner, I still show $1000 for the chip plus $99 a month for FSD.

there's no min. requirement for subscription right? If so I might just get it for a trip and get the "free" upgrade.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and Perscitus
2018 LR AWD with EAP on HW2.5. Because of this thread I made a mobile tech appointment for the trunk latch recall, and added on a free-text customer request for upgrade to FSD computer (interestingly, the $1000 computer upgrade option on the app is missing…). Got the estimate and it shows upgrade to FSD HW3.0 for $0. Appointment is Thursday. We will see what happens.

C09C04D3-B7A2-41E4-A719-0C18F7B9C976.png

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
So under the Subscription tab it takes you there to subscribe you will need to pay 1k for the install. I’m going to give it a try. I had to submit the service ticket under “Other” and wrote what I needed done upgrade 2.5 to 3.0 computer to subscribe to FSD.

Reactions: dek526