Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question Regarding Infotainment Upgrade Cost (Received Estimate, Believe to Be Incorrect)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I requested an appointment for the Infotainment Upgrade on our 2017 MX 100D with Full Self Driving. The estimate included the line item 'INFOTAINMENT UPGRADE FOR AP2.x VEHICLES' for $2,250 plus tax. I went back and forth with the service center through text explaining that, based on Tesla's own FAQ (Infotainment Upgrade | Tesla Support), I believe this should be a $1,750 service (based on the new pricing). Because according to the FAQ:

"This upgrade is available for $2,250 plus applicable tax, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for $1,750 plus applicable tax, including installation, for all other vehicles."

At first they asked for the link and 'if it is up to date' they would 'honor it.' After giving the info, they claimed the price stands because the link doesn't specifically state that vehicles with AP/HW 3.0 would be $1,750. When I asked what the above meant to them (specifically stating AP 2.0, 2.5 upgrades are 2250 and 'all other vehicles' are 1750), they simply said they believed that MX upgrades were $2250 and MS upgrades likely were $1750.

I eventually cancelled the appointment because I got fed up, but curious what others here have been quoted/paid since the price increase recently. What AP/HW version did you upgrade from (1.0, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0)?

I'd like to do the upgrade, but on principal I don't want to spend more than documented if the service center is incorrect.

Thanks in Advance!

Reactions: m5james
Hi All,

I requested an appointment for the Infotainment Upgrade on our 2017 MX 100D with Full Self Driving. The estimate included the line item 'INFOTAINMENT UPGRADE FOR AP2.x VEHICLES' for $2,250 plus tax. I went back and forth with the service center through text explaining that, based on Tesla's own FAQ (Infotainment Upgrade | Tesla Support), I believe this should be a $1,750 service (based on the new pricing). Because according to the FAQ:

"This upgrade is available for $2,250 plus applicable tax, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for $1,750 plus applicable tax, including installation, for all other vehicles."

At first they asked for the link and 'if it is up to date' they would 'honor it.' After giving the info, they claimed the price stands because the link doesn't specifically state that vehicles with AP/HW 3.0 would be $1,750. When I asked what the above meant to them (specifically stating AP 2.0, 2.5 upgrades are 2250 and 'all other vehicles' are 1750), they simply said they believed that MX upgrades were $2250 and MS upgrades likely were $1750.

I eventually cancelled the appointment because I got fed up, but curious what others here have been quoted/paid since the price increase recently. What AP/HW version did you upgrade from (1.0, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0)?

I'd like to do the upgrade, but on principal I don't want to spend more than documented if the service center is incorrect.

Thanks in Advance!
Most people just pay up rather to uphold the principle.

There's one court case that agrees with the principle for

1) self driving computer
2) MCU
3) AM radio

I think you are right. It should be $1,750 if you already have the FSD computer. The FSD computer is what costs the extra $500.
I've been back and forth with two different service centers here in Virginia (Rockville, Sterling) and they are insisting my cost will be $2,250 for my 2017 MX. I have FSD and I can see on my 'Additional vehicle information' screen "Full self-driving computer" The SC agrees that Tesla's website language is not clear about AP3.0 (FSD computer) cost, however I think it is. I've seen elsewhere on our site that some SC are not clear on how to charge for this. Some folks have got the SC to charge the correct price: Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

Any recommendations on how to convince my SC the correct price?

Last edited:
I spoke with two different service centers, one rep got a little sassy and pointed out that Tesla's website doesn't specially call out "Autopilot Computer 3.0" (AP3). So she told me the cost for cars with AP3 is $2,250. Technically she's right, there is no verbiage on the page anywhere about Autopilot Computer 3.0. So in order to save $500, I may have to physically go into different service centers until I get the correct quote?

"This upgrade is available for $2,250 plus applicable tax, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for $1,750 plus applicable tax, including installation, for all other vehicles." sounds like it covers AP 3.0 to me.

If you have AP 1.0 or no AP, you don't get a computer upgrade. If you already have AP 3.0, they don't have to install a new computer for you so it costs them less.

I spoke with two different service centers, one rep got a little sassy and pointed out that Tesla's website doesn't specially call out "Autopilot Computer 3.0" (AP3). So she told me the cost for cars with AP3 is $2,250. Technically she's right, there is no verbiage on the page anywhere about Autopilot Computer 3.0. So in order to save $500, I may have to physically go into different service centers until I get the correct quote?
it doesn't spell out AP1.0 either so do they get lower cost too? ;)

j/k aside. Here's a thread that show FREE AP3.0 for some HW3.0 upgrade for basic AP owners now free?

It shows TSLA is really variable based on who puts in the service order.

Last edited:
"This upgrade is available for $2,250 plus applicable tax, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for $1,750 plus applicable tax, including installation, for all other vehicles." sounds like it covers AP 3.0 to me.

If you have AP 1.0 or no AP, you don't get a computer upgrade. If you already have AP 3.0, they don't have to install a new computer for you so it costs them less.
Exactly! That's my understanding, and that's what I told the service rep. So How do I get that across to the service center? I already have AP 3.0 so it doesn't need to be installed. It didn't matter, service center insists it's gonna be $2,250. What I'm looking for is someone who paid the $1,750, who had AP 3.0, and how did they get the correct price? I'm sure some of you may agree, if I approve the $2,250 estimate...they will charge me the $2,250 regardless if I have AP 3.0.

Exactly! That's my understanding, and that's what I told the service rep. So How do I get that across to the service center? I already have AP 3.0 so it doesn't need to be installed. It didn't matter, service center insists it's gonna be $2,250. What I'm looking for is someone who paid the $1,750, who had AP 3.0, and how did they get the correct price? I'm sure some of you may agree, if I approve the $2,250 estimate...they will charge me the $2,250 regardless if I have AP 3.0.

Somebody in these forums went ahead and paid the higher amount, and then just took Tesla to small claims court later to get the difference back. Apparently he did it with two different items, Tesla did not show up to either one and he was awarded the difference. He said he just had to submit the paperwork to Tesla and they did in fact cut him a check pretty rapidly. Kind of a terrible way to have to do it, but that might be easier for you than fighting those guys!

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Somebody in these forums went ahead and paid the higher amount, and then just took Tesla to small claims court later to get the difference back. Apparently he did it with two different items, Tesla did not show up to either one and he was awarded the difference. He said he just had to submit the paperwork to Tesla and they did in fact cut him a check pretty rapidly. Kind of a terrible way to have to do it, but that might be easier for you than fighting those guys!

it would probably cost them more to show up for small claims. Not sure if that's SOP to pay out these. Wonder if they ding you with service somehow?

I wonder if these service centers are planning to replace the AP3 computer with a new one... essentially treating the upgrade as a typical MCU1 / AP2 upgrade.. Folks at service centers are definitely not the brightest folks anymore

I would think your time is worth more than the added stressed and wasted effort for the minimal difference. But if you like fight for principles best of luck. Hope it works out.
They have lawyers on pay for these things. Plus they don’t want to set a presence. They’ll show.

Your first prank is exactly what tesla, and many other companies, hopes for. Your second quote is, I think incorrect. I think Tesla would not show for most of these. It's just not an effective return on investment. They don't care about a precedent (pesky voice to text!) since most people will agree with your first comment and never go to this effort. And, I have to agree with you, the emotional drama is probably way more than it's worth for most.

Reactions: vickh
Here is an update/resolution to my issue of the incorrect quoted cost. It has been resolved, but in order for me to get the correct cost estimate, I had to walk into the Tesla Service Center and make the appointment in person. The conversation had to be literal and deliberate. I asked the service rep how much the MCU2 upgrade was. He gave the two prices. I asked why the difference. He said the higher amount was to pay for the AP to be updated to AP 3.0. So I asked if I already have AP 3.0 then it's the lower price, to which he agreed. He then confirmed I had AP 3.0 by looking at my car in their system. I immediately said sign me up and made the appointment. One week later I now have the MCU2 upgrade that cost me $1750 (plus tax) and I am very happy with its performance. Not so happy with communication via the app and phone. In person, the service rep seemed a bit more agreeable.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj and mongo
Here is an update/resolution to my issue of the incorrect quoted cost. It has been resolved, but in order for me to get the correct cost estimate, I had to walk into the Tesla Service Center and make the appointment in person. The conversation had to be literal and deliberate. I asked the service rep how much the MCU2 upgrade was. He gave the two prices. I asked why the difference. He said the higher amount was to pay for the AP to be updated to AP 3.0. So I asked if I already have AP 3.0 then it's the lower price, to which he agreed. He then confirmed I had AP 3.0 by looking at my car in their system. I immediately said sign me up and made the appointment. One week later I now have the MCU2 upgrade that cost me $1750 (plus tax) and I am very happy with its performance. Not so happy with communication via the app and phone. In person, the service rep seemed a bit more agreeable.
Great news, thank you for the update. I have to say I've had similar experiences regarding communication via app (only way) vs in person. We were in Las Vegas on a trip and had an issue with the battery coolant heater. Via app, got appointment 6 days later, but we were to be making the 300 mile drive home that day. Drove it to the service center at 330Pm and explained the situation. They took it in immediately for a diagnostic, confirmed the issue, gave us a loaner X, and had the car fixed and back by noon the next day. So app vs in person was night and day.

Reactions: henderrj
I’m having that issue now, I made an appointment in Charlotte NC, because my windshield wiper fluid stop working and this is what they sent me, see pic. What should I do and how do I know if I have the 3.0? I have had my Model S since 2016 and I’m totally confused about what to do.

Attachments

• DB2AACED-DE6A-46DF-AABF-F388264E4B24.png
    DB2AACED-DE6A-46DF-AABF-F388264E4B24.png
    626.4 KB · Views: 205
I’m having that issue now, I made an appointment in Charlotte NC, because my windshield wiper fluid stop working and this is what they sent me, see pic. What should I do and how do I know if I have the 3.0? I have had my Model S since 2016