Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC Charge handle temperature @ 80 amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So with the recent charging interrupted notification issues I've had to go out to my car rather often to plug it in again. I don't know if this is the norm or because of the rapid interrupt and restart, but the cable is extremely hot to the touch when I go to unplug (and reinsert) the cable. Could be this is the norm and I've only recently noticed because of the interrupts.

From what I can tell, the HPWC connector's pin-sleeves are wearing mechanically over time. A thorough cleaning does very little to reduce the temperature - so it's not dirty contacts, and it just seems as if the mechanical connection is working its way to be less tight than it is when new. I've had my cable replaced 3 times now, each time due to high heat exceeding 180 degrees F when charging at 80A. Each time the heat dropped dramatically, so it doesn't appear that the car connector's pins are wearing.

I was going to post the same thing when I saw @FlasherZ's comment. I've had 3 UMCs now and I believe that they become mechanically loose over time. Cleaning carefully with a Q-Tip and compressed air only helps marginally, but in all 3 cases, it would get to the point that it wouldn't connect at all, and the port light would just stay white. While on its way to total failure, I could sometimes get it going by "wiggling" it back and forth, hence my suspicion it is a mechanical problem. I recently purchased and installed a HPWC. It's been rock solid, but it's only a couple of months old.

My HPWC cord was replaced this morning. Hopefully it will be a little bit cooler. The electrician said Tesla has received a lot of calls for replacement in recent weeks. We've also had a spike in ambient air temperatures - up to 117 last week, I believe. The two may be related.