Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Weather and Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

michaelmcgaw

Supporting Member
Feb 26, 2023
Euless, TX
I use the Mobile Connector on a 110v outlet to charge my Model Y.

This is done in the driveway of my house; there's no shade available. After about 10:00am my charging usually drops to near 0 miles per hour and by 11:00am the amperage drops from 12 amps to 6 amps and basically the car will no longer charge.

After the sun sets, and finally about 9:00pm, I can get the car to charge again.

After some experiments, (including "refrigerating" the mobile charger EVSE unit), it appears as though the temperature of the dispenser handle is critical to proper charging. If the handle gets too hot, charging is affected. I don't think it's the receptacle temperature, it does not appear to be extraordinarly hot.

Has anyone else in Texas had this happen?

charging usually drops to near 0 miles per hour and by 11:00am the amperage drops from 12 amps to 6 amps

What miles per hour does it charge at when it's going the fastest?

I think certainly the best solution would be to have a wall connector installed with a high amperage circuit. Next best would be a high amp circuit for the mobile connector. And either of those, set the charge current well below the peak in order to keep the temperature from climbing.

I think certainly the best solution would be to have a wall connector installed with a high amperage circuit. Next best would be a high amp circuit for the mobile connector. And either of those, set the charge current well below the peak in order to keep the temperature from climbing.
Adding a higher amperage circuit, only to reduce the maximum charge speed is not a solution. The OP could simply dial back the max speed on the mobile connector to accomplish the same thing with no expense.

His problem is that the handle temperature on the charge cable is getting too hot. This happens with my 50A wall connector in the afternoon in Texas right now. Applying a wet rag costs nothing and works a treat. Rigging up a shade for the charge handle might be enough as well. Say, by attaching a piece of cardboard to the charge door so it overhangs the charge handle. Just ensure there is airflow around the handle.

Charging at night would be the best solution.

At its fastest it will charge about 4.6 to 4.7 miles per hour ("cool day", not present lately!)