Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First-time Model Y LR home charging woes - Advice needed! (Ceiling outlets & low amp woes)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My garage only has an outlet on the ceiling, and let's just say my juggling skills (and the mobile charger's weight) weren't quite up to the task. So, I grabbed a sturdy 10-gauge, 15-amp, 50-foot RIDGID extension cord from Home Depot.

Plugged everything in, and for the first few minutes, things were looking bright - 15 amps and ~113 volts. But then, around the 10-minute mark, the party lights dimmed. The amp draw dropped to a stubborn 9/12, and the voltage ticked up a notch to 115.

I monitored it for an hour, hoping it was just a charging hiccup, but the 9/12 amps stuck around like a guest who forgot their exit cue.

Additional info:

• Battery level: 41%
  • Weather: 24°F
Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom!

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
I have advice, but you aren't gonna like it... Call an electrician and get a dedicated 240V circuit installed.

IMHO, trying to charge on a shared 120V circuit is an exercise in frustration.

The 25% drop in the charge rate indicates the car is detecting too-large a drop in voltage as the charge rate ramps up, generally indicating bad power, a high resistance connection somewhere (possible fire risk), or other loads on the circuit coming on (garage lights, freezer, door openers kicking in).

Upvote 0
Your option is to deal with it or run a dedicated circuit (at which point might as well do 240V).
If you're going to run a dedicate circuit for charging, there's really no reason to NOT make it 240V. You need 2 conductors + ground anyway, you just connect one of them to a second hot vs neutral. In return you double your charging speed. You'll spend an extra $20 or so on a dual pole (240V) breaker, but the wire and labor costs won't change.

Reactions: E90alex
Upvote 0
The car detects the temperature of the mobile connector as a safety measure as a lot of cheap outlets can overheat and cause a fire. Using an extension cord defeats this so not a good long term solution. Also, I would use as short of an extension cord as possible as will have less voltage drop. 50’ is quite long, 25’ should reach in most garages.

Upvote 0
Ha. Home Depot, right? I'm seconding @fiehlsport. Home Depot makes a habit of selling "Heavy Duty" extension cords that look quite thick. But on the ones that I've actually seen (and I may be missing something here) there's nary a word about how much current they're rated for.

There's a reason for this: Plastic is cheap. Copper is expensive. Tried using a Home Depot extension cord one year with a 2018 M3 LR RWD when it was cold out and got the same reaction: The car sees the voltage drop because the Wire Is Thin, Small Gauge Copper, Which Has Relatively High Resistance, Which Causes A Voltage Drop. And the extension cord gets warm, too, since that teenier wire is dissipating heat instead of passing the energy onto the load.

Teslas monitor that voltage. The thought on the designers' minds: There's a loose connection somewhere causing that voltage drop and, in order to Save The Day And Prevent House Fires, the current draw is reduced bigly to reduce the heat dissipation in the suspected loose wire circuit. Thing is, the car can't tell the difference between an inadequate extension cord and an outlet about to catch on fire, so, there you are.

I've had much better luck by going to Harbor Freight, which makes a living by selling to contractors who, if they really want to run a high-power drill, they don't want a voltage drop that'll kill the drill, circular saw, or whatever. Harbor Freight's extension cords are rated by current. So, if one gets a 15A extension cord of, say, 20' length, that costs more than the Home Depot Specials because, well, these use a lot more copper to keep the voltage from drooping. And, if one gets a 100' cord, it costs more than 5X the 20' cord because they have to use a bigger gauge wire to keep the resistance down on the longer cord.

One of those sits in the under-trunk compartment of each car. We've used them; no reductions in current.

And, yeah, the other posters are right, too: The battery has to be warmed to a reasonable level, and that 12A @ 120VAC = 1440W isn't up to the task in cold weather. A NEMA14-50 socket and 50A circuit, or something else that lets one get up to 20 or 30A will punch the ticket.

Only problem with that.. To stay with code in most places, a garage outlet is usually required to have a GFCI. Those are expensive at 240 VAC since they go into the breaker box, I believe. And a decent, high-power (non-Home Depot) NEMA14-50 also is expensive. The two of those, together, cost about as much as a Tesla Wall Connector which has its own, built-in GFCI. So might as well bite the bullet and go for a Wall Connector, either from Tesla or some other vendor.

FWIW, some states actually provide financial assistance for car-charging hardware; New Jersey is one. A friend just got hers installed yesterday (literally) and is going to get a $250 rebate from the State for the work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks all for chipping in their responses here, really appreciate your time on this,

I thought through this multiple times and I concluded to have a WallConnector or a 240V plug installed in the garage. The thing is since am currently renting that garage from my community, I cannot hire an electrician by myself to do it, I have to take prior permissions from them and then the community guys turned down saying that since its an old garage they cannot allow any alterations to the circuit or any electrical modifications and yeah end of the story am here messing up with the existing outlet in the ceiling.

I came across a post somewhere with a similar issue and there was one post saying that "I unplugged the charger, drove for about few mins and plugged back in and it started charging at 12/12A" which gave me a giggle, but being a software engineer I get that, restarting the damn computer sometimes solves weird issues. Went ahead and drove for 5 mins and plugged back in; Here comes the surprise - It started charging at 12/12A and 110V from then and I monitored it for 12 hrs, it was almost at 110V but periodically jumping to 111V (This was till 11AM this morning). I unplugged it and drove the car for like 7 miles to get some groceries and when plugged back in, it started charging 12/12A at 112V which makes me think of something with preheating the battery. The first time I plugged in was again me after driving 8 miles to&fro from homedepot, not sure what's happening here as if with the weather in dallas. Or all this aside, it could be a loose receptacle or a bad circuit that is playing with me here.

But still its just 112V which is still a significant drop, not sure if thats the best possible case with a 50FT extension cord. Again, I couldn't test with a shorter length cord as none of the stores have any in stock(Other than homedepot with that 50ft cord) Am new to this and learning that 10 guage is hard to find.

BTW, I looked at the extension cord comparison on ProjectFarm youtube channel and ordered a YellowJacket - 10 guage - 20 amp - 50 ft extension cord from amazon, unlucky I couldn't find any lesser cord length, 50 ft was the least in yellow jacket for 20 amp.

I called in the electrician for fixing the loose receptacle and shall post it here on how it goes.

Upvote 0
If you have to use that outlet, then I think you're going about it the right way, have the outlet replaced with a new one. I'd also try to either eliminate the extension cord, or replace it with something shorter and it should be at least 12ga, probably should be 10ga if it has to be 50ft.

Be warned, if it's a block of rented garages, that circuit may be shared among more than one garage, meaning that it may be impossible to reliably charge at a full 12a.

Reactions: E90alex
Upvote 0
Is there any way you can eliminate the extension cord? Like mount the mobile connector to the ceiling, and run the cord along the ceiling then let it hang down near where the car needs to plug in? Yes, it will make the "mobile" connector a semi-permanent installation, but I feel the added reliability of not using an extension cord would be worth it.

There are not really that many use cases for a portable EVSE, anymore. Mostly just camping and visiting relatives...and it's likely there are Superchargers available to cover some of those situations.

Also, I'd probably opt for a shorter extension cord at 12ga rather than do the 50 footer at 10ga.

Upvote 0