Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How would you prefer to pay for Supercharging?

Not asking what you think will happen; How would you prefer to pay for supercharging?

• ~$2k at purchase. 'Free' forever

Votes: 189 46.6%
  • Pay per (insert whatever here); Assume cost is similar to 50mpg car ~$6/150 miles

Votes: 217 53.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't care the what the reason is that someone pulls a charger out of my car. First of all...understand that Tesla owns the current/voltage/charger.

I can't post my response to what I would do to someone who is bold enough to do that - in this forum. All I can say is that they wouldn't ever be able to phisically do that again.

See now if this was at my home it'd be nice to have a robotic charging snake....

However this robotic charging snake would detect that it wasn't done charging and will rear up, point at the person, rattle like a rattlesnake, and create a small but notice electric arc in the air as if it's angry. It would then proceed to plug itself back into the port it came from.

?

What exactly is the principle you're defending? Please be specific, ideally with reference to the specifics I provided about the realities of L2 charging and how the EV parking is often configured. Also keep in mind the situations are not analogous. Gas stations are not configured with multiple parking spots all able to access the gas nozzle, and as we all know it only takes a short time to gas an ICE car and the driver can usually be expected to be back in a few minutes.
If I pay for something....then don't touch it without permission. If I own something then don't touch it without permission. Including my Kids, Cars, House, ....etc.

I don't know why this is a shocking concept. People unplug cars at public chargers all the time when they're done charging. Just visit any public charger at an airport long-term lot. They have two spots that share one charger for a reason. Likewise in any public parking garage in San Francisco. If the charge is done, the public charger tells you. Now it's your turn.

This isn't something new. It happens all the time, and it's accepted behavior.

I'm really not concerned how often something happens or how many people participate in an exercise. I have never been a person that is driven towards commonality. I've always been willing to stand alone. Don't touch anything that I own...ask for permission.

Now with that said...I've never been able to figure out how I would charge my car when another car is connected to the SC. The cord isn't long enough to get to my car unless I point my car in the opposite direction in some strange fashion because our charge ports are on the same side of the car. ALSO, I've never been charging where anyone else was there.

You're not paying for the charging cable. You're paying for the electrons. Nobody's taking those away.
I'm saying....don't touch my car. house. kids....or anything.

If and ICE car is sitting at a gas station and there are no more pumps..... would never pull the pump out of their car to get gas even if the pump has shut off .

I'm not saying that I'm right or wrong...I'm just stating what I would do if someone touched or altered my stuff.

Now with that said...I've never been able to figure out how I would charge my car when another car is connected to the SC. The cord isn't long enough to get to my car unless I point my car in the opposite direction in some strange fashion because our charge ports are on the same side of the car. ALSO, I've never been charging where anyone else was there.
I agree with you when it comes to Superchargers, because you cannot tell without touching the charge handle whether someone's charging or not. Plus, they lock to the car. So no issue. Nobody should be touching Supercharger cables on cars.

The public charger issue is completely different. First, they're slower, so people are generally charging for much longer. That means they plug in and they leave. In many cases, their locations support this behavior. My example above was the long term parking garage for an airport. They have two spots side by side with one charger between. If you're parking for a one week trip, you might want to top up, but the expectation is that someone will unplug and use the charger once you're done. The controller shows whether there's an active charge or not. Nobody has to touch your car to unplug it. The Tesla J1772 adapter stays in place on your car, and they unplug the cable and move it to their car.

I suppose you're saying that you'd never leave your car, and would move it as soon as it's done charging. I'm fine with that. But having a violent reaction to someone doing something that's socially correct and causes you no harm.. well, that's a bit too "Chicago" for me. ;)

I'm really not concerned how often something happens or how many people participate in an exercise. I have never been a person that is driven towards commonality. I've always been willing to stand alone. Don't touch anything that I own...ask for permission.
Lots of luck!
Are you clear on the fact that nobody is talking about Superchargers in this subthread? We're talking about public L2 charging stations. They are different. The things where you have to use the J1772 adapter. Those.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Well... Amazon does have Prime, which is flat fee unlimited shipping and video streaming. However, those are value-add to direct more business revenue in their direction. So not really a counterpoint, just a nit. :)

You could equally say that Tesla is using the Supercharger network and free supercharging to direct more business revenue in their direction as well. *insert links to posts talking about SC as marketing expense, etc.*

Reactions: Red Sage
I agree with you when it comes to Superchargers, because you cannot tell without touching the charge handle whether someone's charging or not. Plus, they lock to the car. So no issue. Nobody should be touching Supercharger cables on cars.

The public charger issue is completely different. First, they're slower, so people are generally charging for much longer. That means they plug in and they leave. In many cases, their locations support this behavior. My example above was the long term parking garage for an airport. They have two spots side by side with one charger between. If you're parking for a one week trip, you might want to top up, but the expectation is that someone will unplug and use the charger once you're done. The controller shows whether there's an active charge or not. Nobody has to touch your car to unplug it. The Tesla J1772 adapter stays in place on your car, and they unplug the cable and move it to their car.

I suppose you're saying that you'd never leave your car, and would move it as soon as it's done charging. I'm fine with that. But having a violent reaction to someone doing something that's socially correct and causes you no harm.. well, that's a bit too "Chicago" for me. ;)
LOL....yep, that's where I live.

But, that's not a letter because of congestion.

We have topics going on here.

Congestion (abuse)
Too much Local Charging (letter from Tesla)

As I understand it, the letter was triggered by congestion at some sites in Calif, after which Tesla discovered a good number of locals using the SCs. I would STRONGLY prefer a pay as you go system of some sort. Any "all-you-can-charge" for a fixed fee will lead to trouble. Charging on the road has to be priced comparably to charging at home or there will be congestion.

sI suppose that I want Easy.

Easy is One time pay....and never worry about it again.

I don't mind paying for convenience.

That's one of the primary reasons I'm a Tesla owner......Its easier and cheaper than gas. Every time I leave my garage...I have a "full tank". I can't do that with ICE.

I don't mind paying for convenience.
However I do mind being forced to buy convince when I don't want it.
But then again its only a $2k charge on a $100K car....so .... its not that big a deal.
Now that Tesla has made the $2k SC fee an option.... its all good.

Now if you want to talk about congestion...then come up with an idea that only changes those who congest the SC's. Don't change my program. I like what I have.

Reactions: jkk_
Agreed, Garlan. In fact are there ANY owners here who want pay per use? If so, they are in the extreme minority. That should tell all the non-owners with zero supercharging experience something, shouldn't it?
There's one right above Garlan's comment. And I am sure plenty more examples are here. And the comparison should be clear: we are comparing prepaid vs pay per use here, not completely free (as in no cost to add as option, which Elon already said won't happen for Model 3) vs pay per use.

I'm a current owner of a leased S. My lease is up in 2018 and I expect to jump into a 3 then.

I want pay per use.

What percentage of current owners want/don't want pay per use? I missed that survey.

The survey does not say " who does not want..." It says - Which charging option do you prefer?

Currently the vote is
142 - Supercharging
172 - Pay per use.

Amazingly close.

i should clarify: owners who want supercharging for the Model 3 to be in the form of a paid option as opposed to pay per use. From my perusing of these threads since this discussion started, it seems the ones screaming the loudest about abuse have never even used a supercharger.

yes, There are a few who think the lowly Model 3 people should be relegated to a different class, despite that whole "master plan" thingie. But I do think they are in the minority.