Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How would you prefer to pay for Supercharging?

Not asking what you think will happen; How would you prefer to pay for supercharging?

• ~$2k at purchase. 'Free' forever

Votes: 189 46.6%
  • Pay per (insert whatever here); Assume cost is similar to 50mpg car ~$6/150 miles

Votes: 217 53.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, let me know when Apple and Google move to all-you-can eat apps, Amazon releases all-you-can-eat web services, uber sells unlimited ride passes, etc. I'll be waiting ;)
Well... Amazon does have Prime, which is flat fee unlimited shipping and video streaming. However, those are value-add to direct more business revenue in their direction. So not really a counterpoint, just a nit. :)

Reactions: Red Sage
Obviously you don't live in Chicago. That's grounds for getting shot here.
What, specifically unplugging someone's car? Or just touching someone's car, or moving the lawn chair they're using to reserve "their" street parking, or whatever?

By the way, how far does the shoot-on-sight zone extend outside Chicago proper? All the way to Hoffman Estates?
Actually, just to park the entire day, not charging, with a wire plugged in for show, since a Volt only takes a couple hours to L2 charge at 30A. Which was probably your point. :-(
Forgot to mention, I've parked at some EVSEs that are designated "EV only *while charging*" with a hefty fine for overstaying. I don't know to what extent the "while charging" clause is actually enforced. I would guess in most locations, not, and probably most parking enforcement folk can't tell the difference between "this car is charging" and "this car has a wire coming out of it". However, at least the mechanism exists, if it were to be enforced.

Look, If Tesla has to pay a new employee $40K a year in salary and $30K in taxes and benefits...then in order for Tesla to break even...that employee would have to resolve $70K in fraud each year. That's impossible.

$70k a year is only $40/hour.

If I were Tesla, I would defend against Supercharger billing disputes the same way as defending against autopilot/summon incidents/complaints: with detailed logs. Log the time the car was parked at a supercharger, the time the driver opened the charging door, when the supercharger plug was inserted, removed, etc, etc. Borrow an idea from red light cameras and record timestamped images from the car's cameras when a session begins and ends - this will show that the car was clearly in a supercharger stall at those times.

Then use one of your $200/hour software developers to automate the dispute process - to eliminate 95% of the dispute work. Like Amazon, Google, Uber, Lyft, etc etc have done.

With sufficient data and algorithms, your $40/hour employee becomes very productive.

Who said anything about feelings? Either it's drawing current, or it's not. It can be easily and objectively determined.
I don't care the what the reason is that someone pulls a charger out of my car. First of all...understand that Tesla owns the current/voltage/charger.

I can't post my response to what I would do to someone who is bold enough to do that - in this forum. All I can say is that they wouldn't ever be able to phisically do that again.

According to fueleconomy.gov fuel costs on my current car (a 2011 BMW 328i) are $1,950 per year. It gets 20/30 city, highway and takes premium gas. I probably do somewhat better than the estimate because its a manual transmission. But still, even if I had to pay 2k to enable supercharging on my Model 3, and all I did was supercharge, I'd be in the black after 1 year.

According to fueleconomy.gov fuel costs on my current car (a 2011 BMW 328i) are $1,950 per year. It gets 20/30 city, highway and takes premium gas. I probably do somewhat better than the estimate because its a manual transmission. But still, even if I had to pay 2k to enable supercharging on my Model 3, and all I did was supercharge, I'd be in the black after 1 year.
That's why you have to keep using it for years. Like Me.

If you select the model S vehicle from the Tesla site and go to the "Charging Estimator" section, Tesla list the cost per mile for electricity. Tesla should use this listed price for charging per use of a super charger based on the miles added to your vehicle battery. Charging more than their listed price would be a contradiction to their published cost.
Oh? So... How does this 'Estimator' determine where you are going next, what speed you will drive, whether or not you have a headwind, the terrain you will traverse, and how soon you expect to get there?

I don't care the what the reason is that someone pulls a charger out of my car. First of all...understand that Tesla owns the current/voltage/charger.
Apparently you're imagining a Supercharger. Obviously my comments wouldn't even apply in that case, since the handle locks to the car, there's no question of someone unplugging it without the fob (or jimmying the handle, which is totally different of course). I was referring to public L2 chargers, and in that case, what I described is relatively common practice. It's a perfectly rational thing to do, and I daresay irrational to get upset about it. It's even expected, that's why L2 charging locations frequently have multiple "EV only" parking spots for each EVSE -- it's assumed that some of the EVs will be actively charging, and some will be done. The cable doesn't move itself from one to the other!
I can't post my response to what I would do to someone who is bold enough to do that - in this forum. All I can say is that they wouldn't ever be able to phisically do that again.
Srsly? If you're that exercised about the sanctity of your car, how can you even stand to take it out of the garage? People might get eye tracks on it! Maybe another coffee? Or a nice walk?

Apparently you're imagining a Supercharger. Obviously my comments wouldn't even apply in that case, since the handle locks to the car, there's no question of someone unplugging it without the fob (or jimmying the handle, which is totally different of course). I was referring to public L2 chargers, and in that case, what I described is relatively common practice. It's a perfectly rational thing to do, and I daresay irrational to get upset about it. It's even expected, that's why L2 charging locations frequently have multiple "EV only" parking spots for each EVSE -- it's assumed that some of the EVs will be actively charging, and some will be done. The cable doesn't move itself from one to the other!

Srsly? If you're that exercised about the sanctity of your car, how can you even stand to take it out of the garage? People might get eye tracks on it! Maybe another coffee? Or a nice walk?
Come on.

I would do the same thing if someone pulls the gas nozzle out of my ICE car. Its the principle of it...not the love of my car.

?
I would do the same thing if someone pulls the gas nozzle out of my ICE car. Its the principle of it...not the love of my car.
What exactly is the principle you're defending? Please be specific, ideally with reference to the specifics I provided about the realities of L2 charging and how the EV parking is often configured. Also keep in mind the situations are not analogous. Gas stations are not configured with multiple parking spots all able to access the gas nozzle, and as we all know it only takes a short time to gas an ICE car and the driver can usually be expected to be back in a few minutes.

Come on.

It's not the same, unless it takes you several hours to pump gas in your car and you walk away and leave it for that entire time. EV charging etiquette is in its infancy in many ways, so typical expectations are different. I, too, wonder about this "don't touch my car" attitude that many have. Yes, I expect you to respect and not damage my car, but a public charger on a vehicle that is not charging, is a public charger and grants no special rights to the car owner. There's no harm or damage to unplug and transfer to another vehicle. If there is, then that's a whole other issue, but that could happen when someone parks next to you (in fact I'd say it's far more likely when someone parks next to you).

We need to all get along and share these resources and not be so selfish. As is so often, if you can't get over allowing someone else to perform the complex and dangerous task of unplugging your car, then you need to stay with your car the entire time it is charging and personally unplug it when finished. If you're too busy for that, then you have no grounds to complain.

I don't know why this is a shocking concept. People unplug cars at public chargers all the time when they're done charging. Just visit any public charger at an airport long-term lot. They have two spots that share one charger for a reason. Likewise in any public parking garage in San Francisco. If the charge is done, the public charger tells you. Now it's your turn.

This isn't something new. It happens all the time, and it's accepted behavior.