Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How would you prefer to pay for Supercharging?

Not asking what you think will happen; How would you prefer to pay for supercharging?

• ~$2k at purchase. 'Free' forever

Votes: 189 46.6%
  • Pay per (insert whatever here); Assume cost is similar to 50mpg car ~$6/150 miles

Votes: 217 53.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Garlan,

SolarCity is not passing on charges from local power providers. The homeowner is billed separately for that.

Here's a sample SolarCity residential PPA:

https://www.solarcity.com/sites/default/files/sc-contract-resi-ppa-2.9.pdf

SolarCity retains ownership of the PV system and the electricity generated. The homeowner pays nothing for the PV system - and instead agrees to pay for all electricity generated at the designated rates (for 20 years). SolarCity tracks how many kWh were generated each month by its PV system and bills the homeowner accordingly.

When I was shopping for my PV system, I opted to purchase outright. Sounds like you made the same decision for yours. While SolarCity will sell (or lease) PV systems to consumers, many opt for a PPA instead. In such cases, it seems pretty clear that SolarCity is a supplier of electricity - even though they don't fit the mold of your typical electrical utility (e.g. ComEd).
If that's the case...I don't understand how Solar City is a tremendous benefit. If the rate that you are paying to Solar City is close to what you are paying your local provider.

• Disagree
Reactions: 03DSG
I think Garlan is asking why anyone would sign a PPA for $0.16/kwh versus not installing solar (versus why Tesla would want to buy SolarCity).

The answer is that electricity during the day can cost more than $0.16/kwh - especially with time of use pricing.
Here in NorCal PG&E land, I pay $0.396/kWh during peak (2pm-9pm) with my rate plan. Of course, I'm rarely consuming at the time and usually feeding the grid. But that's the reality of the rate structure.

Here in NorCal PG&E land, I pay $0.396/kWh during peak (2pm-9pm) with my rate plan. Of course, I'm rarely consuming at the time and usually feeding the grid. But that's the reality of the rate structure.

Offtopic, maybe this should be split into separate thread? But how much do you get from feeding the grid? The little (and I mean *little*) investigation I've done here isn't too promising.

perhaps, but that has almost nothing to do with cars on the road. The transport machines (aka cars) do not have solar roofs, do not have any solar panels contained in them. And while power storage may grow to half of the company's revenue, that doesn't do much for the cars themselves. The electrons are fungible. One can charge a car and use the battery, or a run a toaster.

Now, if Elon wants to put solar panels on his SuperCharging stations, all he had to do was put out a bid to Solar City and the others in that space for best of breed and price. Owning SolarCity gives him little advantage on price, and technology.

That is why most investors are not clamoring for the deal.

Warren Buffett has done extremely well putting companies under one umbrella, but that does not make them integrated.

But sorry, really off the point of this thread.

perhaps, but that has almost nothing to do with cars on the road. The transport machines (aka cars) do not have solar roofs, do not have any solar panels contained in them. And while power storage may grow to half of the company's revenue, that doesn't do much for the cars themselves. The electrons are fungible. One can charge a car and use the battery, or a run a toaster.

Now, if Elon wants to put solar panels on his SuperCharging stations, all he had to do was put out a bid to Solar City and the others in that space for best of breed and price. Owning SolarCity gives him little advantage on price, and technology.

That is why most investors are not clamoring for the deal.

Warren Buffett has done extremely well putting companies under one umbrella, but that does not make them integrated.

But sorry, really off the point of this thread.
I think what Elon was pitching was selling everything as a package. Basically you get a Tesla car, battery pack, and solar panel in an entire package. I agree that the market was not enthusiastic about it and the advantage doesn't seem like much (esp. considering the risks) vs. keeping them as independent companies.

Ohmman, you stinker! Just gotta rub it in that your hideaway in the North Bay region does not get so unbearably hot that you can laugh at all us fools who live in the hot interior valleys of California who suffer during the summer like the gallery in "To Kill A Mockingbird" or "Inherit the Wind." :cool:

I figured out that the old-fashioned tiered rates for us made the most sense. Our PV system is 4,400 watts, which is more than enough to generate a surplus from late February-late June and again from now until early November. We even had a $2.50 credit at our most recent true up, but in past years has averaged about $150 per year.

• Funny
Reactions: Red Sage and ohmman
Offtopic, maybe this should be split into separate thread? But how much do you get from feeding the grid? The little (and I mean *little*) investigation I've done here isn't too promising.
Around here it usually depends on the utility that serves one's house, or on state laws.

I am served by a power cooperative, as opposed to a corporate utility, and it is very responsive to its member-customers. We solar net metering customers complained about settling excess solar generation each year in June at the wholesale rate of 3¢/kWh and they changed it to March, and later got rid of settlement entirely. Now we can just carry over excess kWh generated as long as we want, so long as we don't exceed 10,000 kWh credit. My typical pattern is that I generate more energy in the spring and summer than I use and draw on that credit in the fall and winter when my electricity use increases and solar generation decreases. Thanks to my 2170 watt solar array I haven't paid for electricity, beyond a $16 monthly service charge, in more than three years.

Other utilities are considerably less friendly to solar net metering customers than my member-owned coop.

I think what Elon was pitching was selling everything as a package. Basically you get a Tesla car, battery pack, and solar panel in an entire package. I agree that the market was not enthusiastic about it and the advantage doesn't seem like much (esp. considering the risks) vs. keeping themas independent companies.

Yeah I get where SolarCity and the battery pack could be a good package, and perhaps one could call them "integrated". But if Elon expects to that a bunch of car buyers will be interested in solar roofs+batteries, he is sorely mistaken.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
I get the same they'd charge. So I sell it at $0.396/kWh, and I consume at night at $0.10/kWh. It's honestly more complicated than that, since there are shoulder rates and I lose sunlight anywhere from 5-7pm during peak season, at which point I become a consumer.

Regardless, at my yearly true-up, I usually am running about a $1000 credit, despite using around 1MWh for the year.

And @cpa, yes - because of you Central Valley folks, we have the rate tiers that we do. For those of us that rarely need to run AC, it's pure luck and nothing else. The good news is that the next time you're in town, you can reach out and I'll buy you a cold beer to make up for it. We can even sit outside to drink it. :)