Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to enable additional users to access your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WOW! Call me confused as hell!

New Tesla Model 3 coming in to us the next few months. VERY confused.

We will have two drivers....My wife and myself.

BOTH of us would like to do is see where the car is while driving and parked. She can see me when I am driving and I can see her when driving. We are NOT sure how this works and how to do this.....

The reason I bring this up is we had an issue when I was off-roading in my truck in the boonies of WY and did not have cel service. Fortunately I am a HAM radio operator and she was able to see my last position on APRS. Problem solved! She was happy I was safe and I was happy she knew where I was and where I was going.

So I have never seen how this works and to be honest it is kind of confusing for a future owner. We both do not understand the terminology for this so any help would be terrific!

Thanks a bunch!

Mike :)

WOW! Call me confused as hell!

New Tesla Model 3 coming in to us the next few months. VERY confused.

We will have two drivers....My wife and myself.

BOTH of us would like to do is see where the car is while driving and parked. She can see me when I am driving and I can see her when driving. We are NOT sure how this works and how to do this.....

The reason I bring this up is we had an issue when I was off-roading in my truck in the boonies of WY and did not have cel service. Fortunately I am a HAM radio operator and she was able to see my last position on APRS. Problem solved! She was happy I was safe and I was happy she knew where I was and where I was going.

So I have never seen how this works and to be honest it is kind of confusing for a future owner. We both do not understand the terminology for this so any help would be terrific!

Thanks a bunch!

Mike :)

You both get tesla accounts, whoever is the main driver (the first one on the registration) adds the additional person to the car as an additional driver, using the app, and you are good to go.

The workflow has changed several times, which is why I unstickied the thread. You add drivers through the app now.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Thanks! Until we get our Tesla will try that! Thanks for the quick response!

I'm the first one on the "registration" as I was the one that placed the order but my wife will be the primary driver.

Who actually drives it doesnt matter much as far as that goes, not anymore. The only part that matters as far as that goes, is it means that you (on the registration) will need to add her as an additional driver to the car. You both should setup tesla accounts, then you invite her as an additional driver.

Or, if you dont want to be bothered with any of that, you can both simply share the same tesla account, but thats not an IT "best practice" situation (sharing a user name and login). It works though, if you want to do it that way.

We use the location of the car a lot within the app. Very useful - I will tell my wife to meet me at the local charger after she gets off work, then we go out to dinner. I can see where she is on the map, even how fast the car is going, which makes it easy for me to time our meet up. Its also nice to know that if she had a problem, I know where to go to help. She exited the mall one time from the wrong door and couldn't find the car, the car location on the app, helped her recover. If the car was stolen, you could see where it is exactly on the map. It's one of the many great features of the Tesla App, when the car wheels are turning the car is in motion, but you can see if the doors are locked and other important info as well. One thing I wish Tesla would change is Super Charger fees. No matter who is using the car, my account and my credit card is charged for all super charging. When our son visits, would be nice if he could pay for his own super charging. Minor detail and we work through it. Congratulations on your upcoming delivery.

Very excited to have it arrive Dusty. Still waiting but not as long as some folks. Originally it was July/Aug now it is Aug thru October. It kind of stinks as we want it NOW but we waited for 6 months to have a car shipped from Germany so hopefully ours will get here by October. After that it will become a sticky issue as this will be the "winter" car for us....but fingers crossed! Good to know how you use the app. My wife has an iphone and I have android so hopefully they will play nice....LOL! The way you explain how you use it would be very similar to us! My wife drives 80 - 90 miles per day round trip to work so it would be nice to see where she is and if she is stuck in traffic. This way I can help re-route her if she needs it. We dont plan on using the superchargers for day to day use as we have installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet at the house. For road trips though we will DEFINITELY be using the supercharger network!

just thought I'd add current experience, even with the iOS app release 4.9.0
Follow the website instructions and go to Security in the app
There is no Add Driver and the website just refers to the app.
Does anyone see the Add Driver in the app any longer?

just thought I'd add current experience, even with the iOS app release 4.9.0
Follow the website instructions and go to Security in the app
There is no Add Driver and the website just refers to the app.
Does anyone see the Add Driver in the app any longer?

Note, the instructions below have a pre requisite of being the primary driver on the account. If you are a secondary driver (as in someone added YOU to the vehicle) you will not see the add driver link. I just verified this with my own and my wifes tesla accounts. I am the primary driver, and see the add driver button. She is the secondary driver and does not.

IF THE ABOVE PREREQUISITE OF BEING THE PRIMARY DRIVER IS MET, THEN:

1. Open Tesla app
2. If more than one product / car in tesla account, select the one car you want to add a driver to.
3. Select SECURITY
4. Select either ADD DRIVER (if no drivers added) or MANAGE DRIVERS if there are already drivers added
5. Select ADD DRIVER button.

Note, the instructions below have a pre requisite of being the primary driver on the account. If you are a secondary driver (as in someone added YOU to the vehicle) you will not see the add driver link. I just verified this with my own and my wifes tesla accounts. I am the primary driver, and see the add driver button. She is the secondary driver and does not.

IF THE ABOVE PREREQUISITE OF BEING THE PRIMARY DRIVER IS MET, THEN:

1. Open Tesla app
2. If more than one product / car in tesla account, select the one car you want to add a driver to.
3. Select SECURITY
4. Select either ADD DRIVER (if no drivers added) or MANAGE DRIVERS if there are already drivers added
5. Select ADD DRIVER button.
Yep
I am the primary and it didn’t show up.
Best bit was the my wife, using my account DID have the add driver.
So I used my account on her phone to add her as an additional driver. I loved the irony of that.
As soon a I did that, the button disappeared and now neither devices (still using the same primary account) have the option to add.
Hopefully this is resolved by the time our Model Y is delivered.

Yep
I am the primary and it didn’t show up.
Best bit was the my wife, using my account DID have the add driver.
So I used my account on her phone to add her as an additional driver. I loved the irony of that.
As soon a I did that, the button disappeared and now neither devices (still using the same primary account) have the option to add.
Hopefully this is resolved by the time our Model Y is delivered.

I doubt anything is going to resolve itself in your situation, but you never know. I would contact tesla, because it sounds like something is not setup correctly on your account (or your wifes).

Reactions: Twiglett
I doubt anything is going to resolve itself in your situation, but you never know. I would contact tesla, because it sounds like something is not setup correctly on your account (or your wifes).
Agreed
Waiting for the 6am-6pm pacific time Monday to Friday so I can talk to a human.
[edit]
After talking to a human who found all sorts of issues with my (now four year old) account which they started to correct . . .
Still no Manage Drivers option - but I found the issue, for my phone at least.
On my iPhone I use the zoomed display to make text easier to read - downside apparently is that the Tesla app doesn't recognize that and doesn't bother allowing scrolling of the security page.
Disable zoomed display (Settings, Display & Brightness,Display Zoom View - Standard)
Now Manage Drivers shows up :D

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
just to follow on with that zoomed display thing.
Now I know its just a zoomed display I started see what I get to work.

On the security page just below the Speed Limit Mode, there's an almost invisible line with very little room underneath it.
Tapping just below that line, will pull up the Manage Drivers page :D
On my iPhone my finger tip is more off the screen than on - but at least it works and I can keep my zoomed display for my old eyes ;)
YMMV