Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How rare are Model S' without the Tech Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No tech package for me. on my S85.
I really didn't need any of the features. The extra money I saved will be invested to pay for my next Tesla
. But for $200 I will consider the nav package add on, if it is indeed available. Even though multiple free Nav features are available to anybody with a iPhone or iPad .

I find the dash TBT nav very nice and the main screen routing with real-time traffic info better than Iphone nav. Once you have it, you do not want to be without.
My next Tesla will indeed include the Tech package, although it is still overpriced. Tech really should be included in all cars.

My people! Haha. From the Tesla folks I've asked (usually upon discovering I don't have it b/c, e.g., they have to open my rear hatch manually), the answers vary between 2-5%.

Like others said, absolutely nothing in the Tech package when I ordered this past fall was worth $4k to me.

We are a special breed, it appears. :)

Auto Pilot might have gotten me to change my mind (but I admit that while I understand what it WILL do, I'm still not sure what it actually DOES do right now). Heck, I've already had many times where an auto-closing charge port would get me to write a check for $4k on the spot, haha. :)

The only thing that makes the Tech worthwhile is the Nav, but pretty steep now at almost 4k.
Luckily the Nav option is possible to retrofit (just software update) for $200

That is very interesting. It would be a huge value at $200 many people would jump on that too bad TESLA doesn't communicate something like that. The only thing I don't like about the Nav on my P85 is that once it gives you a route I seem to lose the TRAFFIC and if there is a problem ahead I could see it and take an alt route. I will ask them if it takes traffic into account to switch the routes based on traffic. I will be seeing the Service Center on Wed and will check it out.

I too deferred getting the tech package with my car (very early non-Sig) because it was useless for me to have a GPS which wouldn't route around traffic. Mine is kind of a hybrid like others have mentioned with the door handles and saved profiles.
My wife's car (received last Sept) has the Tech package and I kind of like the auto lift of the trunk but it isn't worth ~$4k to me.
But if I were to buy the car again I'd have Tech because of the folding mirrors among other things mentioned. Routing around
traffic is now enabled in the GPS but I'd have gone crazy having the car nearly 2 years without it.

That is very interesting. It would be a huge value at $200 many people would jump on that too bad TESLA doesn't communicate something like that. The only thing I don't like about the Nav on my P85 is that once it gives you a route I seem to lose the TRAFFIC and if there is a problem ahead I could see it and take an alt route. I will ask them if it takes traffic into account to switch the routes based on traffic. I will be seeing the Service Center on Wed and will check it out.
This is interesting and makes me wonder if there is a software update coming that will require navigation to function properly. Maybe Tesla will more widely advertise this upgrade then? I've lived without it quite nicely up till now so I imagine I'll probably wait for the killer app to appear.

From what I understand, you need the upgraded sound package to be able to do the OTA $200 NAV upgrade.
Did everyone that got the upgrade have the upgraded sound?

/Ed

I inquired with Tesla this past week about the "$200" navigation upgrade and was also told that you need to have the upgraded sound package in order to do the nav upgrade. However, I was told that this was $1000 if you had the upgraded sound already. If not, it is $5000 to upgrade the center touch screen, and then an additional $1000 for navigation. So $1000 if you have sound, $6000 if you don't. Not sure how the other poster got it for $200. I don't have the upgraded sound so DEFINITELY not worth it for me ;)

I inquired with Tesla this past week about the "$200" navigation upgrade and was also told that you need to have the upgraded sound package in order to do the nav upgrade. However, I was told that this was $1000 if you had the upgraded sound already. If not, it is $5000 to upgrade the center touch screen, and then an additional $1000 for navigation. So $1000 if you have sound, $6000 if you don't. Not sure how the other poster got it for $200. I don't have the upgraded sound so DEFINITELY not worth it for me ;)

did you ask WHY they have to replace the MCU just to do a software update? As far as I understand, the MCU RAM memory is twice as big when you have the premium soud package. However if you don't have the Sound, you can still get the Tech option and thus get the MCU with smaller RAM memory (16GB?) with Nav.

did you ask WHY they have to replace the MCU just to do a software update? As far as I understand, the MCU RAM memory is twice as big when you have the premium soud package. However if you don't have the Sound, you can still get the Tech option and thus get the MCU with smaller RAM memory (16GB?) with Nav.

Excellent question! I haven't yet talked to my service center. My email inquiry was forwarded to them for follow up.

Niclas, did you say your car had premium sound or not? Thx!

I did not ask why, but perhaps there are other factors at play besides RAM? In any case, that is the quote I was given.

It does not apply to the window trim - just the bottom trim on the rear diffuser and the "rakes" on the lower front fascia next to the cornering/parking/fog light assembly.

My car has the black rear diffuser trim rather than chrome. I think it looks sooo much better black. When I follow a Model S with the chrome trim on the very bottom, it reminds me of a grocery store shopping cart.