Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much does Tesla add to electric bill?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before we got our Model S our electric bill averaged $85/month (we do not have AC and our heating is natural gas). We charge at night during off peak hours using an HPWC. Since last January our bill now averages $150/month. So far we have put almost 16K miles on the car.

So we are spending about $65/month to charge our car, and are saving hundreds of dollar a month that we used to spend on gasoline.

Our monthly electric bill is still so low that from a strictly economic point of view a solar PV system won't save us any money. But I still plan to do it someday.

You might be surprised. Even only $150 a month you might save money with solar. Or you might "break even" (loan payment for solar = old eletric bill) for the next 8-10 years, with free electricity after that.

In CA net metering is particularly good if you use TOU rates and charge at night. You get credited for extra you product during peak times at peak rates, but use most of you electricity at off peak rates.

My electric bill after getting the Tesla actually went down substantially, due to the switch to EV-TOU2 rates in San Diego, combined with solar. Solar by itself had already reduced my bill about 60% on average, but EV-TOU2 has reduced it even further, to the tune of about another 50% from the Solar baseline, while I've been using more electricity because I'm charging the car every night!

Couple that with $0 spent on gas since I took delivery at the end of May. This has been huge.

A = Miles/month
B = watts/mile
C = Avg cost per KWh while charging
D = Charging efficiency (rumored to be about 85%)

Monthly bill increase = A * B * C / D / 1000
Cost per mile = Monthly bill increse / A

For me - 1000 * 300 * .29 / .85 / 1000 = 102.35
Cost per mile - $.10

Last edited:
A = Miles/month
B = watts/mile
C = Avg cost per KWh while charging
D = Charging efficiency (rumored to be about 85%)

Monthly bill increase = A * B * C * D / 1000
Cost per mile = Monthly bill increase / A

For me - 1000 * 300 * .29 * .85 / 1000 = 73.59
Cost per mile - $.07

If you're trying to go from Wh/mile reported by the car, you need to divide the Wh/mi by the charging efficiency to get your wall-to-wheel Wh/mi.

Monthly bill increase = A * ( B / D ) * C / 1000
1000 * ( 300 / .85 ) * .29 = 102.35 (2dp)

We put anywhere from 2000 to 3500 miles a month on our car every month. We have a coop for our electricity so we average around $50 a month for the car.

We we used to spend $1200 for gas now that just goes towards the car payment!! But would much rather do that and drive electric.

17,000 miles driven in the past 10 months, approximately 15,500 charged at home.
Average Wh/mi for the most recent 16,000 miles: 340
kWh used: 5,270
Assume 20% inefficiency: 6,324 adjusted kWh used
$0.11/kWh
$696 in electricity cost for 15,500 miles or ~$70/month increase in electricity
Average cost per mile: $0.041

Estimated fuel cost during the same time period for our prior car:
average mpg: 27
Gasoline $/gallon: $3.50 (estimated average of Dallas area based upon one-year lookback statistics, midgrade fuel)
Estimated gasoline cost for the same mileage: $2204 (~$220/month)
Estimated average cost per mile (fuel only): $0.13

Estimated savings over gasoline for the period specified: $1508.

Estimating my cost

When you quantify the cost are you using total service and delivery cost for your electricity?

For example, con ed charged me 11.51 cents to deliver while the supplier charged me 13.85 to supply. I assume you add these up to quantify the cost/ Watt?
I believe i will need to negotiate a charging cost/ per month with my garage - and I have a feeling he is going to come with $100 per month which is much higher than ~$40 I arrive using the calculation above (I generally drive 700 miles a month).

Thanks!
Dale

After getting the EV rate from PGE in CA, my bill DROPPED $100/mth, driving the same 30 mi/day as before. I now time all my appliances to run at night during the off-peak rates: Dishwasher, washer, hot tub. Makes a huge difference. So I am now saving the 200/mth in gas (approx) and 100 due to the new rate plan.

Sweet!

After getting the EV rate from PGE in CA, my bill DROPPED $100/mth, driving the same 30 mi/day as before. I now time all my appliances to run at night during the off-peak rates: Dishwasher, washer, hot tub. Makes a huge difference. So I am now saving the 200/mth in gas (approx) and 100 due to the new rate plan.

Sweet!

That's really exciting! Always down to save more..

I live in the greater Los Angeles area and we get Southern California Edison. There is a EV plan, however it requires a second meter installed at a one time service charge of $6 and a monthly fee of $2.64. For Santa Cruz area, were you also required to install a 2nd meter? How did you arrive at the stats that you are saving $100 per month?

I just did an estimation for the first 3 months of having a Tesla. I do not drive much like the people in the US. But in total approximately 10-20 eur/month. Much less than I expected. Maybe due to Superchargers. In fuel E95 it was 100-150 eur/month (2-3 times to the petrol station).

My bill has gone down about $50 even when you include the 1000 miles I'm charging at home. We're on EV-A and were able to switch almost all our usage off peak and since there's no tier we're able to use more electricity than before and get charged less.

My neighbor has a $900 month bill (way way higher than mine ever was) and we figured he's going to save about $500 / month on EV-A. I'm trying to talk him into a Tesla but even a plugin prius would qualify him.

The household electric bill at my current residence averages about 600 kWh; the latest monthly bill is $70 (southern california edison has different types of rate plan). With current state, Solar City estimated I will need 10 charges per month for the Tesla (60 miles a day, 90% charge conservatively to 200 miles each charge), which would bump the average monthly bill to $245.

The future state, with Solar City's plan, the estimated monthly is $143/month + $780 annual fee (monthly of our current plan but turned in to SEC by the end of 12 months).