Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much charging via 110/120v 20 Amp NEMA 5-20 outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife need to be at Hotel that has a the standard NEMA 5-20 (with a 20 Amp breaker because its a commercial setting) in the garage. How much charge can be drawn on it using the Tesla mobile connector? I tried to search but could not find any chart for that. At 80% draw that should be around 16 Amp. How many miles per hour would that add to the Model Y? This will help figure out how many times she needs to hit the Supercharger that is far off. Thanks

Please ignore, I found it. It was right on Tesla website:

So it will be about 7 miles per hour.
Yes, but only if she has the 5-20 adapter for the UMC. If she just has the 5-15 adapter the UMC will only think its a 15 amp circuit and will only take 12 amps, or 5 miles an hour.

No she does not have any adapter. Maybe we should get one. Would this one work?
No, she would need one of these. The little pigtail tells the portable charger what type of circuit it is on. Tesla has these pigtails for $35/each for a variety of outlets.

No she does not have any adapter. Maybe we should get one. Would this one work?
Amazon Link
No; You can either use the 5-15 plug adapter that comes with the Mobile Connector or you would use the 5-20 plug adapter (sold separately at Tesla.com; cost $35.) Assuming you received or purchased the Mobile Connector when you purchased your Model Y; the current price of the Mobile Connector is $230 and includes the 5-15 plug adapter and the 240V 14-50 plug adapter. The 5-15 plug adapter would add 3 to 4 miles per hour, the 5-20 would add 6 to 7 miles per hour while charging.

Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector

NEMA 5-20 power plug adapter

No; You can either use the 5-15 plug adapter that comes with the Mobile Connector or you would use the 5-20 plug adapter (sold separately at Tesla.com; cost $35.) Assuming you received or purchased the Mobile Connector when you purchased your Model Y; the current price of the Mobile Connector is $230 and includes the 5-15 plug adapter and the 240V 14-50 plug adapter. The 5-15 plug adapter would add 3 to 4 miles per hour, the 5-20 would add 6 to 7 miles per hour while charging.

Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector

NEMA 5-20 power plug adapter
Thanks, I will be ordering the 5-20 connector from Tesla. Its good to have it just in case. We already have the 5-15 connector that came with it.