Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Long to Get Used to Driving M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 5 hour trip to take the day after I get my M3. How long does it take to transition/get used to driving an EV after having driven ICE vehicle for 40 years?
Wondering if good idea to take it for the long drive or if I should allow some time to get used to it.
Thanks!
Rob

I didnt find it much different than getting used to any other new vehicle from a different brand than your last one. Things that might help you:

1. Dont plan on using a bunch of autopilot / FSD (if you have that feature) so soon after getting your vehicle. Some do, but in my opinion its best to get used to how the car performs (AND what it will, and more importantly WONT do while in autopilot / FSD mode).

2. Consider driving in chill mode, or at the very least see the difference between chill mode and regular as it relates to acceleration. One thing that people sometimes take a bit of time getting used to is just "how fast" these cars actually are, especially in regards to acceleration. What I mean is, "accelerator pedal travel of X = car accelerating like Y", might take some getting used to.

It would be fairly easy to accelerate "harder" and "faster" than you intend, until you get used to how fast the car is. You can mitigate that by putting the car in chill mode.

Do the same things you would do with any other new vehicle you take ownership of, which is things like:

1. Ensure you know how to turn the wipers on, and speed them up and down (you can do this with voice commands)
2. Ensure you know how to change the temperature in the vehicle (you can also do this with voice commands " set temperature to X")
3. Ensure you know how to turn the headlights on and off.
4. Ensure you have a plan for any potential flat tire (there is no spare, and the car does not come with run flat tires)
5. Ensure you know how to set up your desired music / listening environment ( so you are not trying to fiddle with it when you are driving)

Stuff like that... all common stuff when buying a different car brand than the one you are used to driving.

I've had mine for about 5 months. Still not completely used to it. Was o.k. to drive from the beginning, but lots of autopilot dings, rings and alerts. I still don't have a clue what is happening because I need to keep my eyes on the road when autopilot is yelling at me. Obviously you want to adjust mirrors and everything before you start driving. Plenty of videos to guide on all topics.

Driving the car home from the delivery center I was able to travel about 30 miles, surface roads and highways and used the brake once, so I would say in no time. As far as some of the more sophisticated attributes of the car I would think a road trip would be an excellent way to get comfortable with the car. I did read the entire Owner's Manual before delivery and that helped.

Reactions: Shelburne
It took me no time at all. The rapid slowdown upon releasing the accelerator, and the rapid acceleration when pressing it are the biggest changes. I thought that having the speedometer and other controls off to the side on the screen would be a big learning curve, but it wasn't at all. If you're using the interstate I absolutely recommend using autopilot to make your long drive so amazingly easier. Of course, keep very attentive as it is new to you and it does have its quirks. Don't bother with AP on surface streets until you're more comfortable with the car. The Owner's Manual is your friend.

Enjoy your new car and your road trip!

Reactions: TBrownTX
Unless you are coming from a performance car you might want to put it in Chill mode for the first week, then switch to Normal mode so you can calibrate your foot to the responsiveness of the car. It might take a little time to get use to one pedal driving, your instinct will be to use the brake to slow down, that works fine but it's inefficient, with one pedal driving you just lift your foot up and the car slows down and when you are on regular streets it's sufficient to stop at lights as long as you give it enough time. You'll be able to calibrate yourself to the regen braking also.

it really doesn’t take long, but…
  1. Read the manual at least twice
  2. Do not take your trip and attempt to navigate every setting on the display the next day, instead…
  3. sit in your driveway the day you get it without moving and learn the display without moving (practice everything you think you need and set driving position, mirrors, etc)
  4. then practice driving in a quiet area at an off time. Side street,etc. some items have to be practiced while moving but I wouldn’t want to try that my first time on the interstate in heavy traffic
  5. READ THE MANUAL BEFORE taking delivery

I picked mine up without a test drive in advance, by the time I got home, 20-25 minutes, I was totally dialed in the center display, throttle, brakes (including regen), steering feel and had my mirrors sorted out.

I'd echo that numbered list by @jjrandorin, especially the safety items like lights and wipers - and you can do many of those things just sitting in your driveway.

Also, a +1 for the folks saying to drive it in chill mode. Even if you are coming from a performance vehicle, the throttle response is __much__ different. I say chill not to reduce the performance, but since the throttle is so immediate, almost like a switch, you'll find yourself kind of pulsing the car and that really gets to passengers, especially if they're prone to motion sickness!

Congrats, these cars are amazing, I've had mine for nearly 3 months, and it still floors me.

+1 for making sure that the mirrors cover your blind spots (and all of the other stuff you need to do/learn BEFORE driving a strange car). Also, the view out of the rear window is pretty bad (meaning: limited) so if you're not used to backing up using the camera, then practice before you really need to perform this action; say parallel parking.

I only put my car in Chill Mode one time just to see what the difference was; it's been in normal mode otherwise. I went from a 2000 BMW 3-series to the Model 3. I had previously driven a BMW i3 loaner for a couple of days and test drove a Model S a little over a year before getting my 3. It took me about 5 minutes driving away from the Delivery Center before I was comfortable with my car. My own adjustment in driving ICE to EV was more with going from a manual transmission for 18 years to an "automatic".

edit: Almost forgot to mention... I rented a Model 3 for the weekend back in late Jan 2018, five months before getting my car. I guess that's why I was quick to adjust.

Last edited:
it really doesn’t take long, but…
  1. Read the manual at least twice
  2. Do not take your trip and attempt to navigate every setting on the display the next day, instead…
  3. sit in your driveway the day you get it without moving and learn the display without moving (practice everything you think you need and set driving position, mirrors, etc)
  4. then practice driving in a quiet area at an off time. Side street,etc. some items have to be practiced while moving but I wouldn’t want to try that my first time on the interstate in heavy traffic
  5. READ THE MANUAL BEFORE taking delivery
Excellent point.

I was really excited on the days before delivery so I read the manual. It really helps a lot afterwards.

And I spent an hour or two the evening of the delivery day to get used to the display, voice commands, wipers and everything. I remember that on delivery day, the Tesla shop activated the flashers on the car so you know which one is your car (Covid "no contact" delivery experience). We spent a few minutes to figure out how to disable flashers because we simply didn't find the button on the roof; we initially thought it could be activated or deactivated from the center screen ;)

I didn't need to adjust the drive to Chill mode since I got used pretty quickly to the accelerator pedal sensitivity, but you could consider doing so if you prefer.

There's one thing though that requires more time: long trip planning. Once you will have realized and accepted that the EPA estimates are way above the real range of the car, then you won't get any bad surprises along the road. So for your 5 hour trip, make sure you come accross one or two Superchargers on your road because you will need to supercharge. "A Better Route Planner" will become your new friend, if you did not already met ;)

I have a 5 hour trip to take the day after I get my M3. How long does it take to transition/get used to driving an EV after having driven ICE vehicle for 40 years?
Wondering if good idea to take it for the long drive or if I should allow some time to get used to it.
Thanks!
Rob
You will become one with your M3 in no time. The hard part is going back to an ICE, remembering little things like using the brakes and turning the car off when you get out! :cool:

Easy enough on the basics. One pedal driving takes a little adjusting. Figuring out how to peripherally view the screen, and what you can do with voice commands, a little longer. But honestly it took me several solid weeks to get good at riding the NOA. Starting with a couple weeks of sheer terror. It's a good thing that, having spent the (significant) money, I was neurotically determined to tame that bronco. Now you'd have to pry it from my cold dead fingers.

The first time I ever set foot in a Tesla was picking up my M3... then I immediately drove 7 hours home. I was nervous about single pedal driving, but got used to it *very* fast... it's fantastic. I strongly recommend you *do not* use any autopilot / FSD features until you're very comfortable driving the car on your own and you've taken the time to thoroughly read and understand how everything works.

My personal opinion about any level of autonomous driving is... no thanks. Stop trying to take away my fun!

Its the same as any car except it has better "cruise control". There was zero getting use to time for me.

I was not ready for that better cruise control to slam on the brakes for no reason on a very busy, fast and unfamiliar freeway when I picked up my car and had only be in it for about 5 minutes.

Watch out for "better" cruise controls, LOL. In other words, just don't use AutoPilot on your first drive.

About 5 minutes. Remember, push park button once for park and again for park BRAKE or hold it for 2 seconds to shift to park AND set park brake.
This is incorrect. There is no difference between pressing park and pressing park for 2 seconds even if the screen makes you believe otherwise.

Model 3 doesnt have a parking brake.
Also there is no need for pressing the button at all, the car will automatically go into park when you open the door.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ