Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOV Green plate access (ON)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The use of HOV lanes by single-occupant electrics is hardly unfair, if one of the lanes' purposes is to cut down emissions. The government may have a more comprehensive plan/program than narrow interpretation suggests; ask yourself how to encourage electric vehicle use and less pollution (the two obviously being related), and you may come up with a variety of ideas, one of which is the HOV lanes. As more electrics are manufactured, the HOVs become more important.

As for slow drivers in the HOVs, yup, seen that. But not often. Anyhow, no one requires you to use the HOVs --- which doesn't lead logically to getting rid of them. I've found that about 6 times out of ten they're as good as the other lanes, and the rest of the time better. Time of day matters, of course. Often when the HOV is slow, so are the others on that stretch of road. But frequently my trip in the HOV cuts off 10 to 20 minutes from what the others must be taking, which is 60 to 90 minutes.

Of course the downside to using the HOV lanes compared to regular lanes, at least if you follow the law about not crossing solid lines, is that you give up the optionality of changing lanes except for once every 3 km or so.

Agree 100%, well said Sir!

The use of HOV lanes by single-occupant electrics is hardly unfair, if one of the lanes' purposes is to cut down emissions. The government may have a more comprehensive plan/program than narrow interpretation suggests; ask yourself how to encourage electric vehicle use and less pollution (the two obviously being related), and you may come up with a variety of ideas, one of which is the HOV lanes. As more electrics are manufactured, the HOVs become more important.

As for slow drivers in the HOVs, yup, seen that. But not often. Anyhow, no one requires you to use the HOVs --- which doesn't lead logically to getting rid of them. I've found that about 6 times out of ten they're as good as the other lanes, and the rest of the time better. Time of day matters, of course. Often when the HOV is slow, so are the others on that stretch of road. But frequently my trip in the HOV cuts off 10 to 20 minutes from what the others must be taking, which is 60 to 90 minutes.

+1 ^^^

100% agree. Furthermore, increasing EV adoption definitely will benefit everybody (less pollution, more incentives for building charging station etc.) Now, with gas prices plummeting, the HOV incentive is even more important than before.

I'd like the government to add 407 free usage for EV cars, especially Teslas!
I would like free food at Loblaw's as well! Who is going to pay for that? The 407, at least the existing portion, is a privately owned business. You want the Ontario govt to pay the 407 the toll charges? So you want the Ontario taxpayer to subsidize those of us that can afford a $100k+ vehicle?

Then, according to what you think is fair, then we shouldn't be allowed on tbe HOV lanes either.

To further implement the use of EV'S! all governments and private corporations should band together to make it easier for EV owners.

Look at what Norway has done.

all governments and private corporations should band together to make it easier for EV owners.
Why should all private corporations give up profitability to make it easier for EV owners. Some of them do make it easier for EV owners by giving preferred parking and/or chargers. Some private corporations will lose out if EVs become more prevalent - Oil companies to name one. I don't stop at the Esso or Shell too much these days. Carbon taxes or credits makes more sense as you can give corporations credit for taking actions that reduce CO2 emissions.

I would like free food at Loblaw's as well! Who is going to pay for that? The 407, at least the existing portion, is a privately owned business. You want the Ontario govt to pay the 407 the toll charges? So you want the Ontario taxpayer to subsidize those of us that can afford a $100k+ vehicle?

I would have no issue with "407 International Inc" wanting to act green and them offering a discount on EV's, I would speak highly of them, as I would if Loblaw's offered me a free "President's Choice Reusable Bag". Ok, maybe I would just say thanks.

"High Occupancy Vehicle lanes are specifically for use by carpools and buses", so it doesn't matter much if you're driving electric or something that burns puppies.

Also it somehow seems wrong that a single guy in an i8 could use an HOV lane for a trip too long to run in purely electric mode...

"High Occupancy Vehicle lanes are specifically for use by carpools and buses",
Why? To reduce congestion AND reduce air pollution.

so it doesn't matter much if you're driving electric or something that burns puppies.
Wrong. Driving electric reduces air pollution.

Also it somehow seems wrong that a single guy in an i8 could use an HOV lane for a trip too long to run in purely electric mode...
Its not wrong if the guy replaced non-hybrid ICE with i8 and drives on electric 60% of the time like most Volt owners do. Less gas being burned less air pollution.

You have to look at the bigger picture.

While I would welcome an extension to the green plate access to HOV lanes and I'll be very disappointed if it expires, I also know that the primary purpose as stated on the MOT site is to reduce congestion. There is very little said about emissions but for a couple of lines, and the green plates were added as part of the EV incentive programme rather than the HOV programme. Specifically it is to "reward early adopters". Until the green plates were added, the HOV site said nothing about emissions.

Please don't jump all over this, I am NOT suggesting I'm in favour of canceling the green plate access to HOV, just pointing out that any decision to extend it runs counter the original intent of HOV.

It's been extended through the duration of the Pan Am Games.

Pan Am/Parapan Am Games: transit, driving and traffic routes | Ontario.ca
That's awesome, but are you sure that the current system is extended through the games or does the current system expire and the temporary HOV system now cover us?

I might be being too technical but that website says
Temporary HOV lanes will be open to:
  • Games vehicles
  • vehicles with 3+ occupants (June 29 – July 27)
  • vehicles with 2+ occupants (July 28 – August 18)
  • emergency vehicles
  • electric vehicles with green license plates
I don't see where it says that these rules also apply to permanent HOV lanes. And I believe the rules for permanaent HOV lanes regarding green plates expire on June 30.

The other technical question - I don't think today green plates are allowed to use the HOV lines on city streets where they exist - like Eglinton, Yonge, etc. But during the games we will be able to drive in temporary HOV lanes on city streets like Bayview, Lakeshore, etc. But what about the permanant HOV lanes in the city as opposed to highways?

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I also find this on http://www.ontariocanada.com/registry/view.do?postingId=17002&language=en

In addition, MTO is seeking to extend the existing Taxi, Airport limousines and electric vehicle pilot scheme. The proposed extension will allow single-occupant taxis, airport limousines and electric vehicles with green licence plates the use of the HOV lanes for an additional year (June 30, 2016).
So assuming that this amendment is passed or approved by the Minister (or whomever) then we have a one year extension.

That's awesome, but are you sure that the current system is extended through the games or does the current system expire and the temporary HOV system now cover us?

The way I read this is that The current system expires until further notice. The current HOV lanes are then treated like temporary HOV lanes that we could use. At least for Highway 404, nothing seems to have changed. I'm not familiar with the HOV lanes on QEW. The map shows what the temp HOV lanes are.