Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOV Green plate access (ON)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just Print out the info from the MTO, when you get pulled over (and you probably will) show it to the cop if that doesn't work show it to the judge at trial. Surely someone will see the how confusing the rules and regulations are and let you off if you plead ignorance.

To be specific, the transit/bike lanes in the city are not HOV lanes. A green license plate will not help you there - even before July 1. The HOV lanes are only on the 400 series hwys as far as I am aware.
i believe you are right except for the temporary HOV lanes for the games - some of them are on city streets like Bayview and Lakeshore and they explicitly allow green plates.

- - - Updated - - -

The way I read this is that The current system expires until further notice.
But did you see this page: ServiceOntario: Making It Easier - Government of Ontario, Canada

It sure looks to me like the amendment to the Highway Traffic Act that authorizes the temporary green plates for the games also extends green plate access to HOV for one year. I can't find if this was passed as published on the web page but I am guessing that it was.

Good news - green plates can now definitely drive on HOV lanes until July 1, 2016. Here is a link to Ontario Regulation 620/05 of the Highway Traffic Act that was last amended on May 1, 2015. And then there is the bonus of being able to drive on the temp HOV lines during the Games Period of June 29, 2015-Aug 18, 2015.

Here is the part relevant to green plates:

2. No person shall operate a motor vehicle or a commercial motor vehicle in a high occupancy vehicle lane unless one of the following circumstances exists:
9. The person is operating a motor vehicle to which are attached valid number plates that,
i. are issued by the Ministry,
ii. have green lettering on a white background, and
iii. display the words “GREEN VEHICLE” or “VÉHICULE ÉCOLOGIQUE”.
Note: On July 1, 2016, paragraph 9 is revoked. See: O. Reg. 236/10, ss. 2, 3; O. Reg. 99/15, s. 6.
Notice how the green plate section is revoked on July 1, 2016. The limo/taxi section is the same.

Now we need to lobby government to improve the signage so that people are more aware that green plates are allowed with one person. I have had a couple occasions where people were motioning for me to get out of the HOV because I was by myself even though I have a green plate. The HOV green plate signage is sparse.

I know Fraser...my wife drives the QEW HOV daily during the week...she tells me she has to endure many "finger wags"...

I actually talked to a ministry person about the signage and he said because the green plate access to HOV lanes was supposed to be temporary they didn't put in full signage. So if there is always a looming cancelation date they may never fix the signs. But better signage would most certainly create more green vehicle demand and less angst towards green plate drivers. Let's hope.

Saw a red tesla got pulled over in the HOV on 404 SB. Wonder is that because of speeding or HOV use.... I got pulled over once and then the cop said:"i never seen one of these before". The second time I saw the cops were debating is this an electric car and didn't pull me over. Kind of annoying cause it just waste my time...

Saw a red tesla got pulled over in the HOV on 404 SB. Wonder is that because of speeding or HOV use.... I got pulled over once and then the cop said:"i never seen one of these before". The second time I saw the cops were debating is this an electric car and didn't pull me over. Kind of annoying cause it just waste my time...
Did the Tesla that got pulled over have Green plates?

If you get pulled over when you are in an HOV lane do you go to the left shoulder or do you pull over into the right shoulder, potentially violating the do not cross double solid lines?

Pretty sure you pull over to the left. I've even seen cops with cars pulled over on the left where there are no HOV lanes, although I think if I were being pulled over (non-HOV) I'd try to make my way to the right.

We should start a "I got pulled over in an HOV lane with green plates" thread. Especially during the games given the likely low probability that police officers will be informed that green plates can drive in Pan-Am games temporary HOV lines.