Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holy Hot Handles, Batman!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can see it now. Early 2014 introduction of a new option for Model S: "Handle Cooling," in which a small amount of the very same A/C liquid coolant used to cool the batteries is routed into the doors and up into the handles in which have been added temperature sensors. Whenever handles ever get too hot, the A/C kicks in and the coolant instantly cools the handles down to a comfortable temperature.

Handle Cooling feature can be yours for the low, low price of . . . $2750.00

Retrofits will be available for $9,750.

:)

Frying door handle

I live in orlando and park my Tesla out in the sun. Usually, when I return in the late afternoon, the metal door handle is HOT. Tesla, please insulate the door handle with a plastic/epoxy or whatever coating. I have been branded twice in the last 2 weeks!

Does the presence of the felt pad cause the handles to not be flush with the door surface?

Mark can confirm, but I believe this isn't an issue. It's on the interior of the outer part of the handle. So it shouldn't impact the spacing of the handles whn extended or retracted in any way. The only 'space' that's impacted is where your fingers would go between the outer and inner portions of the handle hardware. But that shouldn't cause anyone any issues.

It wouldn't shock me if Tesla does up with a similar adhesive lining of some sort to solve this for existing owners. That and coming up with something more thoughtfully designed for future cars.

Mark can confirm, but I believe this isn't an issue. It's on the interior of the outer part of the handle. So it shouldn't impact the spacing of the handles whn extended or retracted in any way..
Mark DOES confirm it! There is plenty of space on the inside of the handle pull for a thin felt pad and your fingers.

I hope that Tesla changes (or already has changed) the handle material. It's quite a hunk of solid metal.

Does this only apply to vehicles without auto-presenting handles? Or does the heat transfer through to the inside pull of the handle as well?

Shouldn't be any difference as it's just software that makes them auto-presenting. However, I've only had one day this summer where the handles could be said to be hot--and it wasn't burning hot either, just hot enough that you wouldn't want to continue to hold it.

No, I just meant that people seem to be getting burned when they touch the handles in order to get them to present. If you had auto-presenting handles you could, theoretically, avoid the activity during which burning can occur.

Ah, okay. However, I haven't noticed much difference between temperature on the various areas of the handle. (And if you're standing by your car in a car show, auto presenting doesn't help because you have to press to extend.)

No, I just meant that people seem to be getting burned when they touch the handles in order to get them to present. If you had auto-presenting handles you could, theoretically, avoid the activity during which burning can occur.
Those without the auto-presenting handles have the honor of being burned twice - once when they press the handle to get it to extend and again when they pull the door open.

Funny reading this thread. I was telling my wife that I got "branded" when I got in the car yesterday -- the chrome door handle, but worse, the chrome lining at the base of the driver's door, was as hot as the sun itself, and I could feel the "branding" on my leg as I got into the car. Only thing missing was a puff of smoke. I still feel it.

Kinda wish there was UV-resistant XPEL type coating you could put on the chrome!

Oh, also, on a side note: I saw a Tesla Model S with manufacturer's plates at the Fremont SuperCharger that had black door handles and black chrome. The MFG plates made me think this is not a personal vehicle and not aftermarket-customized. Is this an option in the configurator now? And does it help with the "branding" or make it worse?

I experienced this for the first time on Thursday. The termite folks needed to drill holes along the perimeter of my garage so I left my Model S on the street for a few hours. I must have jumped back about 3 feet after touching the driver's side door handle. What a shock! LOL... I hadn't experienced this before because I never let the car sit in full for such a long period of time.

Another casualty of leaving the car in the sun all day - about a 2-inch long air bubble appeared out of nowhere on my B-pillar alcantara headliner. Car is going to service tomorrow (Monday) for a tire swap, I'll have them address the alcantara when I bring it in.

Funny reading this thread. I was telling my wife that I got "branded" when I got in the car yesterday -- the chrome door handle, but worse, the chrome lining at the base of the driver's door, was as hot as the sun itself, and I could feel the "branding" on my leg as I got into the car. Only thing missing was a puff of smoke. I still feel it.
I live in moderate Portland (I'm talking temperature and amount of heating from the sun here, folks...) and I had the handles and door 'brand' me as well. YIKES.
Oh, also, on a side note: I saw a Tesla Model S with manufacturer's plates at the Fremont SuperCharger that had black door handles and black chrome. The MFG plates made me think this is not a personal vehicle and not aftermarket-customized. Is this an option in the configurator now? And does it help with the "branding" or make it worse?
Uh, uh, uh... pictures?? Pictures?? That sounds like it might look awesome​!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I experienced this for the first time on Thursday. The termite folks needed to drill holes along the perimeter of my garage so I left my Model S on the street for a few hours. I must have jumped back about 3 feet after touching the driver's side door handle. What a shock! LOL... I hadn't experienced this before because I never let the car sit in full for such a long period of time.

Another casualty of leaving the car in the sun all day - about a 2-inch long air bubble appeared out of nowhere on my B-pillar alcantara headliner. Car is going to service tomorrow (Monday) for a tire swap, I'll have them address the alcantara when I bring it in.
How can you live in AZ and never have experienced that before... :confused:

How hot was the car on the inside? Did you happen to check on the phone app?

How can you live in AZ and never have experienced that before... :confused:

I live in AZ and haven't really had a problem with the door handles. They've been warm, and perhaps only 2 times have I felt they were just barely too hot...

But I garage park at home and work. And we have a lot of covered parking -- even one of the grocery stores near my house has covered parking..l