Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Highland suspension on 2019 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Either of the people who bought had any issue with Tesla saying the parts don’t associate with your vin therefore you can’t purchase?
Have you tried or are you just thinking ahead? I asked a few weeks ago about Highland parts availability in the UK and got a blank response from the parts manager of my local SC. Highland owners here better keep their fingers crossed none of the new bits break any time soon.

Given how much better damped the new model 3 is,

Given by whom, exactly?
I just test drove TM3 Highland, and found it suspension to be terribly squishy and unsettled.

It's as if Tesla decided to mimic a Caddy - soft and plushy ride in slow speeds, wobbly and unsettling and medium/high speeds.
I would NOT install hyper-soft Highland suspension on my OG TM3 even if it fit, and someone gave it to me for free!
Then, again, I'm not a Caddy guy.

YMMV,
a

Reactions: h2oAok
Given by whom, exactly?
I just test drove TM3 Highland, and found it suspension to be terribly squishy and unsettled.

It's as if Tesla decided to mimic a Caddy - soft and plushy ride in slow speeds, wobbly and unsettling and medium/high speeds.
I would NOT install hyper-soft Highland suspension on my OG TM3 even if it fit, and someone gave it to me for free!

YMMV,
a
Riding like a Caddy is not a bad thing for most Model 3 owners. Indeed, YMMV.

Given by whom, exactly?

YMMV,
a
I have found the non highland model 3 suspension to be a lot more comfortable when your wheels are with smaller offset. Factory offset is +40. I switched to +30 and the ride is just a bit more comfortable and compliant.

Yeah I would love to get a better ride, but I don't wanna spend $3,000 CAD for Unplugged Performance suspension. It simply doesn't cost that much. They charge that because they can. Cringe.
Lol even the "cheap" suspension upgrades are $1,500 USD before tax... It's literally springs and shocks, that's it... UP and MPP don't give a flying **** about anything but profit margins.

Proper suspension transforms a car. I built in the price of adding it, as I couldn't live without it.
Of course my last 5 car's have all had modified suspension so it's something I care about. Just like a good sound system. Never had a car without a sub.

Reactions: afadeev
Have you tried or are you just thinking ahead? I asked a few weeks ago about Highland parts availability in the UK and got a blank response from the parts manager of my local SC. Highland owners here better keep their fingers crossed none of the new bits break any time soon.
Fairly confident I’m going ahead with it but it’s getting the parts that’s tricky.

I don't see why I'd need the Highland springs for the rear.

I'm debating on keeping the old springs as it's the dampers are the main factor in the ride quality and the springs should fit.

I'm looking for thoughts on this though so would appreciate some input

I just ordered a pair of Rear Damper Assembly P/N 1344465-00-B to replace the original rear dampers on my 2018. Costs $230 ($115/unit) and a week to ship the parts to my local service center. Not bad.
I don't see why I'd need the Highland springs for the rear.

I'm debating on keeping the old springs as it's the dampers are the main factor in the ride quality and the springs should fit.

I'm looking for thoughts on this though so would appreciate some input
There's practically no difference in the springs, maybe slightly softer. The majority of the comfort improvement comes from the new frequency-selective dampers, which isolate frequencies in the 4-6 Hz range, according to Lars Moravy of Tesla.

I just ordered a pair of Rear Damper Assembly P/N 1344465-00-B to replace the original rear dampers on my 2018. Costs $230 ($115/unit) and a week to ship the parts to my local service center. Not bad.

There's practically no difference in the springs, maybe slightly softer. The majority of the comfort improvement comes from the new frequency-selective dampers, which isolate frequencies in the 4-6 Hz range, according to Lars Moravy of Tesla.
Glad you agree.

How come you didn’t go with the front pair too?

Reactions: enemji
The original OE rear dampers are the worst part. Too little travel and not consistent. We dyno'd the OE dampers and the fronts weren't that bad compared to the rears.

TBH anyone not happy with the stock Model 3 suspension feel might find changing just the rear dampers to Highland-spec is a cost-effective way to sort the problem. Interested to hear the result.

Wanted to see if the rear dampers make a difference. If they don't, then I may not change the front, because the rears are much easier and less expensive (materials and tools) to do than the fronts.

But if all goes well and it does improve ride comfort, I will be ordering the front pair.
Good choice. The rear are what control the comfort. The front controls the feel and steering.

Here’s my (late) update:

Installed highland dampers (front and rear) in my 22 model 3 LR and it’s a big improvement. Like the other poster said, has to be 85-90% as good as highland, and I bet the other small amount can be made up by getting some good comfy tires. Everything bolts up the same way, 5-6/10 difficulty for a DIY install for me, took about 2 hours per axle.

I did buy the rear springs and will do that too later, but am not expecting much more improvement from those.

Biggest improvement IMO is harsh city bumps that feel much better dampened.

Good upgrade overall.