Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highland suspension on 2019 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The gas pressure in the shocks, is there to help prevent the hydraulic oil inside from foaming up with air and reducing the damping affect. The gas pressure, when at sufficient pressure, has nothing to do with the damping ability.

Another consideration with the unloaded rebound test mentioned, the Frequency Selective Damping (FSD) feature likely does not respond to the low frequency of a dynamic test off the car.

The gas pressure in the shocks, is there to help prevent the hydraulic oil inside from foaming up with air and reducing the damping affect. The gas pressure, when at sufficient pressure, has nothing to do with the damping ability.

Another consideration with the unloaded rebound test mentioned, the Frequency Selective Damping (FSD) feature likely does not respond to the low frequency of a dynamic test off the car.
Yeah, my unloaded rebound test was for my own amusement, to see if there was any tangible difference between the old and new dampers 😅 .

I have had highland dampers and springs for two weeks now. As I reported - initially car was higher than normal, but after 3-4 days it looked normal again. I have been busy and didn’t have the time to check wheel gap with a measure until now. Front and rear are both at 40cm. Car feels great and I highly suggest this change to everyone that finds stock suspension too firm. As reported by others, there is probably no need to change rear springs, so the total cost is around 650€.

I'm looking to do this, but I'll have to have a shop help me as I don't have all the tools and know how. How is effect on road noise with the change? I've already put on some new tires which helped a bit.
Take this with a grain of salt since I have only replaced the rear dampers, not fronts yet:

It made no difference to noise.
Changing tyres likely makes a bigger difference to noise, since they are rotating at high speed and generating audible frequencies (100’s Hz).

I have had highland dampers and springs for two weeks now. As I reported - initially car was higher than normal, but after 3-4 days it looked normal again. I have been busy and didn’t have the time to check wheel gap with a measure until now. Front and rear are both at 40cm. Car feels great and I highly suggest this change to everyone that finds stock suspension too firm. As reported by others, there is probably no need to change rear springs, so the total cost is around 650€.
I concur with everything you said. At work there is a speed bump that feels awfully violent if I drive above 20 mph. Today I took that speed bump at 30 mph and the new rear dampers really helped reduce the peak acceleration I felt as the rear tires hit the bump. A tad bit more time to settle after the bump but hey, everything has a tradeoff.

I’ve driven over 30 miles with the new rear dampers and highly recommend also changing out the fronts, or the car will feel really weird with the front stiffer than the rear in terms of damping, particularly during front to rear load transfer.

Reactions: enemji
When replacing the front coilovers, do you need to replace the front upper control arm mount or FUCA isolator? I am just about to request a cost for the front coilovers, rear shocks and new bolts/nuts, so if I need any other parts could anyone let me know.
I think you might find no Highland parts are available in the UK yet. That was certainly the case when I asked recently.

When replacing the front coilovers, do you need to replace the front upper control arm mount or FUCA isolator? I am just about to request a cost for the front coilovers, rear shocks and new bolts/nuts, so if I need any other parts could anyone let me know.
Per Tesla's Service Manual, there are two nylon-insert lock nuts that shall be replaced when replacing the front damper assemblies:
  • 1111543-00-A
    • NUT,HF,M12,STL[10],ZNFL,PTP.4
  • 1111145-00-A
    • NUT HFPT M14-2.00[10] ZnNi-W
M14 nut is for upper control arm to knuckle
M12 nut is for sway bar link to damper assembly

I'm in the USA and the front dampers (1344366-00-B, 1344366,01-B) cost me $190 each. Service advisor said they're shipping from a Tesla warehouse in Marysville, WA.

Attachments

• Nuts.jpg
    Nuts.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: