Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Amperage Charger On Inventory Cars - Now Standard on MS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else notice a bunch of the inventory 75 RWD cars that recently popped up have High Amperage Charger listed, and at no additional cost?

Model S 75 5YJSA1E11HF214022 | Tesla

A couple of the 75D listings seem to have it too but not many.

Model S 75D 5YJSA1E21HF214241 | Tesla

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the 72 Amp charger which used to be (or maybe still is) a $1,500 upgrade over the 48 Amp. Tesla could be making this a standard starting Q4. Would make sense as another way to differentiate between the MS and M3. Or maybe they just had too many 72A chargers lying around the factory.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Julie's MS
All post refresh cars and the Model X have 72Amp charging hardware standard. The 48 vs 72 is just a software switch.

Ageee this is likely another differentiator between 3 and S just like making air suspension and power liftgate standard. Only loss for tesla is potential margin so it's an easy way to sweeten the entry level offering.

Also the buyer would need a hpwc to make use of anything over 40AMP so tesla can make up some of it on selling the accessory.

All post refresh cars and the Model X have 72Amp charging hardware standard. The 48 vs 72 is just a software switch.
Not true. There was a early refresh batch at fist with the triple charger (3x24A) which could be software upgraded, but then Tesla started shipping dual (2x24A) and people who did upgrade to 72A had to have the 3rd 24A module installed at the SC. We have one of those dual ones, as I inquired about an upgrade and I would have to take it in for hardware installation.

• Informative
Reactions: JPUConn
Not true. There was a early refresh batch at fist with the triple charger (3x24A) which could be software upgraded, but then Tesla started shipping dual (2x24A) and people who did upgrade to 72A had to have the 3rd 24A module installed at the SC. We have one of those dual ones, as I inquired about an upgrade and I would have to take it in for hardware installation.
Are you sure it's double vs triple? The numbers sound like it, of course, but several threads have said it's a complete charger replacement.

Ageee this is likely another differentiator between 3 and S just like making air suspension and power liftgate standard. Only loss for tesla is potential margin so it's an easy way to sweeten the entry level offering.

Also the buyer would need a hpwc to make use of anything over 40AMP so tesla can make up some of it on selling the accessory.
Nope, it's not a software switch. You can clearly see the "48A" sticker on the 48 amp charger in my 75D. If it were just software, they would not label the same piece of hardware differently for a configuration. Also, when you could still upgrade from the 48 to 72, it could have been done over the air if it was just software.

48%20amp%20charger.JPG

Nope, it's not a software switch. You can clearly see the "48A" sticker on the 48 amp charger in my 75D. If it were just software, they would not label the same piece of hardware differently for a configuration. Also, when you could still upgrade from the 48 to 72, it could have been done over the air if it was just software.

48%20amp%20charger.JPG
Was it hard to expose the charger, and could you give instructions?
I would love to know if my early post-refresh S75D has the 48 or 72 amp charger.

Was it hard to expose the charger, and could you give instructions?
I would love to know if my early post-refresh S75D has the 48 or 72 amp charger.
All you have to do is pull the back seat cushion up. Reach under the front lower edge of the cushion where it meets the carpet and feel left or right until you find the retainer bracket. Pull firmly upward to release the cushion from the bracket; there is one bracket on each side. Note: if the plastic retainer comes out with the cushion, remove it from the seat and snap it back into the bracket. To reinstall you need to align the seat belt buckles first and put the rear edge in. Next press the front edge down to engage the two from retainers, it may take some pressure to get them to snap in.

All you have to do is pull the back seat cushion up. Reach under the front lower edge of the cushion where it meets the carpet and feel left or right until you find the retainer bracket. Pull firmly upward to release the cushion from the bracket; there is one bracket on each side. Note: if the plastic retainer comes out with the cushion, remove it from the seat and snap it back into the bracket. To reinstall you need to align the seat belt buckles first and put the rear edge in. Next press the front edge down to engage the two from retainers, it may take some pressure to get them to snap in.
Interesting. Mine says 3PH. And it has 4 orange cables labeled N L1 L2 L3.
IMG_0023.JPG
IMG_0025.JPG

Are European/Australian ones different? 3 Phase power? Just a guess....
I don't know about the US ones, but in Australia all cars can take either single phase or three phase sources.
The current cars can take either:
- single phase 240V 40A or
- three phase 240V 16A (or 24A with upgrade)

So my Un-upgraded charger can take 3 x 240V x 16A, which is 11.52kW if it's on a three phase source.
If my charger was upgraded I could do 3 x 240V x 24A, which is 17.28kW.
On single phase I get 1 x 240V x 40A = 9.6kW

In Australia all outlets are 240V, we don't use 110/120. Bad if you want to stick your finger in the light socket but good if you're charging a car. Even UMC will get 2.4kW.
Most older houses use three phase, with newer houses using single phase.

MS 75 cars now come standard with 48AMP and you are no longer able to upgrade to a 72AMP charger.

I do hope this changes quickly as fast charging is a great benefit. I don't know anyone who would complain if their iPhone charged faster or their Tesla.

MS100 comes standard with 72AMP but there is a steep price increase.

Good observation.

MS 75 cars now come standard with 48AMP and you are no longer able to upgrade to a 72AMP charger.

I do hope this changes quickly as fast charging is a great benefit. I don't know anyone who would complain if their iPhone charged faster or their Tesla.

MS100 comes standard with 72AMP but there is a steep price increase.

Good observation.
Yes fast charging is very useful, especially in places like Canada and Australia, where there aren't many superchargers.
For work I regularly do a run over the Blue Mountains which is 400km each way, and my cars max range is 379km. The mountains also take some range off.
There's a fancy restaurant right at the high point with a single destination charger. I usually have a long boring expensive lunch alone there while my car gains 60-70kms of range. It would be much easier if I got 110-120kms in the same time, or could eat faster and get on my way.

Reactions: Julie's MS
Are you sure it's double vs triple? The numbers sound like it, of course, but several threads have said it's a complete charger replacement.
It's not double or tripple self contained chargers like with the first gen 40/80. It's the number of populated modules/boards inside the same charger enclosure. At least that's what it was earlier this year. Tesla changes things often.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
It's not double or tripple self contained chargers like with the first gen 40/80. It's the number of populated modules/boards inside the same charger enclosure. At least that's what it was earlier this year. Tesla changes things often.
Right so that still may need to swap the whole thing when they 'upgrade' it to 72. Weird way to do it but may be quicker overall. But now the practice is gone as we know, since technically no more upgrades after sales. (Some SC's can be talked into it.) Looks like another example of streamlining the factory order process and taking some load off the SCs also.

That photo above is obviously a 48 Amp single phase which is what USA power is in most cases.

I have a quote of $AUD2800 to upgrade mine. Early facelift AP1 S75D.
I suspect mine is a software-locked triple unit, so I'm holding off on upgrading in the hopes they may do a discounted promo for the upgrade for OTA upgrades (like the battery upgrade price drop).
I wouldn't really be able to justify the full $2800 for a 50% increase in speed, but I'd be tempted at some lower price.

Maybe I'm confused but wouldn't the local SC be able to answer the question of what exactly you have? Software upgradable or need the hardware swapped? I'd assume (lol) they could tell what to order for an upgrade (I.e. something or nothing) without actually looking at the charger part number under the seat?