Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help design a pedestrian warning noise for a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
uh I'd rather have a crash avoidance system that automatically stops the car rather than a car that makes obnoxious noises 99.9999999% of the time when it doesn't matter.

driving in and out of NYC every day it does not matter if you have a completely silent car or a truck with a thousand sirens going off, people are going to walk in front of your car and you have to pay attention driving, ESPECIALLY now that I see people walking around with those giant Bose noise cancelling headphones on. this seems to be the fad in the city these days and they are not going to hear anything, even police and ambulance sirens. so all those bells and whistles that you are adding are useless anyway. the only thing that is going to make a difference is a automatic pedestrian crash avoidance system that takes the human element out of hitting a horn or stopping the car on time.

We can't cobble together a crash avoidance system for a few hundred dollars in parts, that's going to require the OEM (Tesla) to design & implement. Luckily most of us live in civilized cities (ok, pedestrians in Boston aren't much better), but suburban parking lots is where most of us have this issue, not the crazy streets of NYC or Boston.

I notice that all the suggestions of "just roll down your window" come from locales where it doesn't snow....

I certainly don't want something that makes sound all the time, or even when the car is moving below some speed. I do want a "light-handed horn" to let bicyclists and pedestrians know that I'm approaching. I want to activate it like I do the horn. The logical switch is the high-beams; flash the brights and give a little toot.

Many of us have waited behind people walking in the middle of the parking lot aisle, unaware they are blocking a silent car behind them.

One hates to honk and startle them; they may stop and turn around. Same thing goes for a strange noise, however entertaining.

So you really want a familiar noise associated with a moving car, so they will simply move sideways without even looking at you.

Thus my criteria:

1. A moving car sound (say, tire noise; an engine sound could come from a parked car); nothing urgent or entertaining
  2. Ability to trigger without removing hands from steering wheel (no new knobs or buttons)
  3. Turns itself off in two seconds
  4. Compatible with Tesla firmware of the future.

An Untested Example

• Record studded snow tire sound at low speed. Alternatively, driving over gravel. Muffle after two seconds.
  • Mount (Frunk? Nose cone?) a musical doorbell that has a USB port for audio files.
  • Tap the high beam wire for the button push. (Might need a series capacitor for when the high beams remain on.)
So when you flash your headlights (a routine warning signal), you will also get the tire noise for two seconds. But this also means that switching to high beams at speed will give you the tire noise for two seconds. (At least it will be the sound the tires make at very low speed!)

Improve it. Replace it. We need a recipe.

If someone is so oblivious to their surroundings then perhaps they need to be startled into some level of situation awareness.

I really don't see the need. In 255,000 miles of Prius driving and almost 20,000 miles of Tesla driving, neither Denise nor I have ever needed to alert pedestrians.

I don't see the need for this either, even though Ive waited behind pedestrians many times.

My contribution none the less would be to somehow tap into the front parking sensors, adding a small speaker device and å short "bing!" (Like the One the car plays inside) whenever the front parking sensor notices something. Time it with the interior One and it would be stealth for the driver.

Drawback is you have to get quite close to the pedestrian.

Yeah. This problem with distracted walkers is prevalent in every vehicle I've ever owned. It's because they are distracted, not because they can't hear us. People need to watch out where they are walking and drivers need to be aware there are distracted walkers in crowded areas and pay extra attention.

Are there any stats on how many people are actually hurt or injured seriously from being run into when they weren't looking? I suspect the number is pretty insignificant. This is merely a potential problem that people are blowing out of proportion. We already have a perfectly good horn you can "tap" if you need to wake up some knucklehead who is texting and walking. Other than that I really don't see the need for a second horn. I think it's a bad idea that only serves to lend credence to EV detractors who are trying to make these mandatory.

Are there any stats on how many people are actually hurt or injured seriously from being run into when they weren't looking? I suspect the number is pretty insignificant. This is merely a potential problem that people are blowing out of proportion. We already have a perfectly good horn you can "tap" if you need to wake up some knucklehead who is texting and walking. Other than that I really don't see the need for a second horn. I think it's a bad idea that only serves to lend credence to EV detractors who are trying to make these mandatory.

You're right that it's not about the "silent threat of EVs in our parking lots." It's that, regardless of the power plant, it would be nice to alert distracted pedestrians without blasting a horn and having them jump out of their skin. As I mentioned before, a simple muted horn would serve the need. Is it absolutely necessary? No.

Try driving in Boston or NYC or Philadelphia.
Been there, done that. No muted sound will get the seasoned city dweller out of your way. Blaring cab horns don't do it either. They just don't care.

A muted horn is for the 'burbs in parking lots, not the mean streets of the city.

I really don't see the need. In 255,000 miles of Prius driving and almost 20,000 miles of Tesla driving, neither Denise nor I have ever needed to alert pedestrians.

I agree with this. There is wheel noise, tire noise, and one of the things i love is that there is NO NOISE. Sneaking up on people carefully is what makes the car special to me, no noise pollution either ... Putting a sound to it seems just un-teslo-ian....

I agree with this. There is wheel noise, tire noise, and one of the things i love is that there is NO NOISE. Sneaking up on people carefully is what makes the car special to me, no noise pollution either ... Putting a sound to it seems just un-teslo-ian....

Yes. Others have already covered all the reasons why they feel it's not needed, or wouldn't help--and I agree--but this the above relates to one of my reasons for actively not wanting this, even as an option (to hopefully make it clear to the "optional, so you just don't use it" crowd):

I don't want (more) artificial noise pollution for this non-issue. There's enough obnoxious noises around town, we don't need one more (especially not one that goes off automagically...shudder).

Just my two cents! I know some of us will never see eye-to-eye. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

With all due respect, this conversation has been so hacked to death on these forums.

Laws, yes.