Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help, A-Pillar Defect Found

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Tampaukfan Elon should NEVER have been sleeping on the production line in the first place.

It should have been delegated to a VP (or someone with similar gravitas,) specifically dedicated to quality full time. Whilst the headlines may have grabbed some attention, it clearly hasn't resolved the underlying issues :(

I got an update from Dustin, the regional service manager, that Tesla is going to rebuild the car for me.

There will be some logistical details on how things will have to work with the lease, government rebate and all the stuff, but he'll help map out what needs to be done. I am going to go back into the online config site to rebuilt a new model S.

I got an update from Dustin, the regional service manager, that Tesla is going to rebuild the car for me.

There will be some logistical details on how things will have to work with the lease, government rebate and all the stuff, but he'll help map out what needs to be done. I am going to go back into the online config site to rebuilt a new model S.
Yea! I was hoping they would go that route. Makes me feel better.

Glad to hear Tesla are going to give you a new car!

Do they not have something in inventory with the same colour combo / options *? Last time I was on the UK design studio there were some pretty close matches to custom orders (esp. now the interior options have been shrunk to "themes"). Not sure if the Canadian version also pops up with closely configured inventory cars?

(*if they had one that was identical to your custom order, but had say premium hifi, then I'd see that as a great goodwill gesture, and get you sorted sooner.)

Glad to hear Tesla are going to give you a new car!

Do they not have something in inventory with the same colour combo / options *? Last time I was on the UK design studio there were some pretty close matches to custom orders (esp. now the interior options have been shrunk to "themes"). Not sure if the Canadian version also pops up with closely configured inventory cars?

(*if they had one that was identical to your custom order, but had say premium hifi, then I'd see that as a great goodwill gesture, and get you sorted sooner.)

If they are smart they give him the option to config as he likes, then see if there is a match. Meaning they still might do something of that nature but he won't know until after he configures his new request.

I'd expect there is a manager somewhere at Tesla waiting for his config to finalize again (I just can't say if he is doing more than monitoring).

I'll talk to Dustin more tomorrow about the rebuild logistics and ask him more questions about what exactly happened to the original car as well as what they are planning to do with it.

As for the config, there has been some changes in option since I last built mine last November, nothing of major consequence though. The prices have gone up here in Canada, but I don't think they should be charging me more.

This isn't fully resolved till the replacement car arrives, but so far I would say the Tesla team have handled it well and made me felt that they genuinely cared.

Very happy to hear Tesla is giving you a rebuild!!

It's ironic that if the issue had been caught and fixed in QA, none of us would have known about the issue and Snowstorm would have a "repaired" car. Blessing in disguise, perhaps (assuming the rest, until delivery of the new car, unfolds uneventfully).

Oh man, what a bonus to get to go through the online build process again! As I get further and further away from that (it's been 3 weeks since delivery), it's like having your first baby - you don't realize how special the moment is until after it's gone.

Enjoy it!! So glad they are taking care of you.

Congratulations, glad to see Tesla do the right thing at this point.

Reactions: S'toon
I asked same thing. They said it's not possible to give free supercharging with new rebuilt.
I wonder OP's situation.

I'll let you guys know, but honestly, I am not that bothered by lack of unlimited SC. It is much more of a psychological benefit for me as I driven't long distant all that much. Given the opportunity to rebuild the car, I may look to change some of the options around now that I've actually drive the Model S for a few days (I actually never had a test drive before). I noticed the options and prices have change a bit since my last build in Nov 2016. I will be grateful if they can help offset some of the cost delta if there is any, but it has to be fair for all involved, and the most important part is to get a non-defective vehicle this time around.

I'll let you guys know, but honestly, I am not that bothered by lack of unlimited SC. It is much more of a psychological benefit for me as I driven't long distant all that much. Given the opportunity to rebuild the car, I may look to change some of the options around now that I've actually drive the Model S for a few days (I actually never had a test drive before). I noticed the options and prices have change a bit since my last build in Nov 2016. I will be grateful if they can help offset some of the cost delta if there is any, but it has to be fair for all involved, and the most important part is to get a non-defective vehicle this time around.
You have right to get the exact car you ordered, unless there is technical limitation.
Just remember, free charging also means better resale value.

Reactions: Carl, Gen3 and smac
I hope all the news sites that found this thread and reported on it also report that your are getting a new car. I doubt GM or Ford would have done it without lawyers involved.

I've contacted all the ones I am in touch with via email to let them know that Tesla has offered to re-build the vehicle. Just to help preserve my sanity, I'll update the latest progress with the replacement process and the fate of the original vehicle here as I get to know more.