Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated seats in Auto mode go full blast when I turn on the windshield defrost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, First post in the forum. Have had my '23 MYLR made in Austin since Nov 4th and starting to love driving it more and more as I start to understand the settings more deeply!

I noticed last night when I turned on front windshield defrost heat ("red" not "blue") mode that it changed the climate controls to max temperature and the heated seats, which I usually leave in Auto mode both turned up to maximum and before long my wife and I were both feeling genuinely downright close to getting burnt; very hot seats. I had to turn off the auto mode for both driver and passenger side seats. I don't know for sure, but this feels like a bad behavior so I decided to post this in the bug/issue reporting forum. Any time I adjust 1 setting and am forced to interact with the screen to change 2 other settings while driving is unsafe and problematic I think. Is it possible to change a setting to avoid the seats from turning to maximum when I hit the shortcut for front windshield defrost in red mode? And on a related note, what is blue defrost mode and why does it exist?
I'm on software version 2023.44.30.6

Reactions: Transformer
Thank you for that explanation about defog vs defrost.. but when Driving in a winter storm in Iowa, it can be valuable to have maximum speed very hot air blowing on the windshield the entire drive. Will defog mode accomplish this?

By the way i turned on the defrost mode again, and it seems that Tesla remembers my last settings and DID NOT switch my heated seats to full blast and left them in auto.. so that's good

Reactions: Prairie
I would further add that even mark Rober agrees that the fan speed should be on highest hottest setting for faster defogging. And cracking the windows? Seems like a bad idea to put a crack in them.. but that's just me

But i digress, will the blue defog mode on Tesla do that?

Surely defog mode won't crack the windows in either sense. Heh.

Back to your actual question, I'd expect defrost mode to provide the hottest air at max speed. Since defog mode cools the air to dry it out before heating it up, it's probably not as hot.

Reactions: Prairie