Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wiper spray intermittent problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Was wondering if anybody could provide some direction.

My 2017 Model S 75D has a strange problem, when I press the chrome wiper button on the end of the wiper/high beam stalk 90% of the time nothing happens.

I am aware there are two detents to this button, the first stop for a single wipe and the second to spray the windshield fluid while simultaneously wiping.

Both detents do nothing 90% of the time, but sometimes I will press the button and out of the blue the windhshield pump starts spraying and the wipers come along with it. I always try it randomly on almost every drive and have tried to correlate when it does work to any kind of variable, but it seems completely random...

Here are a couple other pieces of info:

- When turning the dial for wiper speed past the two first intermittent (or in my case auto rain sensing) steps, the wipers work correctly on the low (3rd setting) and high (4th and last setting) speeds. No issues there.
- When activating wiper service mode the wipers move into place correctly and return correctly when disabling. No issues here either.

I initially thought the spray pump was dead but am now concerned the problem lies in the stalk button as the first detent button does not trigger the single wiper wipe. When the button does work, the spray pump seems to work great spraying consistenly and at a seemingly high pressure covering the whole windshield...

Service center quoted the pump and grommet (1005453-00-C and 1005684-00-A) at $39.00 and $3.20, so it would be a pretty affordable step to replace those.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Even more confusing:

I went to play around with it while it is parked, it just so happened I had left it parked with the high beams on.

The chrome button seems to work perfectly as long as the high beams are in the on position (stalk pushed forward).

Second detent triggers washer pump every time and first detent triggers single wipe.

As soon as I pull the stalk back to the low beams chrome button does absolutely nothing.

I assume this is not the intended mode of function?

???

any ideas on why windshield spray button on stalk only works when stalk is pushed forward in high beam on position?

Tested extensively, only way I can get button to work is with stalk pushed forward, even with auto high beam on (so high beams effectively off) this works, it seems the position of the stalk pushed forward to the high beam on position is the deciding factor.