Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 MS100D. 23,000 miles. New to me last July.

Several questions on the windshield wipers:

1) On the left stalk for the windshield wipers: When I rotate the knob 1 click, nothing happens. When I rotate the knob 2 clicks, nothing happens. When I rotate the knob 3 clicks the wipers come on at low speed. Is there no intermittent setting for these wipers? What is the purpose of the first 2 clicks? Is something wrong with the car?

2) The windshield sprayers spray too low (too near the base of the windshield). I see that they are mounted to the underside of the front hood. Is there an easy way to adjust these?

3) Is there a setting on the wipers to stop them when they are "up" so I can clean or replace them?

4) How does one disengage the wiper blades from the wiper arm?

Thanks!

First click is autowipers low speed, second is autowipers on not as low speed. The third click is manual wipers low, and the final position is manual wipers on high. Tesla has always had issues with autowipers detecting rain, so sometimes the first two positions don't do much. Make sure to have autowipers engaged in the main control panel.

I found the nozzles on the car are too difficult to adjust, so I had service correct this during my last visit. I purchased a tool from amazon, which helps, but I can't seem to use it very well.

In Service on the main control panel there is a service wipers position that will put them where you want them.

Thanks Dave - I found the service position for the wipers and was able to remove & replace the blades.

I was driving several days ago in light snow & fog and the first 2 positions on the wiper knob did nothing. I just looked and the "Auto Wipers" was engaged. I suspect that the car wasn't able to detect the light snow & fog. I just clicked the "Auto Wipers" off. I'll have to wait & see if they behave as expected (intermittent) next time we get precipitation.

Do you recall how you found the tool to adjust the nozzles?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Tesla is implementing the new, better auto wipers, and there are still some issues with the new tech, as ususal.
Actually smart auto wipers were said to be 3 weeks away in June. Yep, sounds about right.

• Funny
Reactions: DerbyDave
The recent firmware broke the intermittent wiper - at least if you have FSD, I don't know if non FSD version has the same problem. The wipers never worked well from day one though. They claimed they are implementing a better version ... keep dreaming.

The recent firmware broke the intermittent wiper - at least if you have FSD, I don't know if non FSD version has the same problem. The wipers never worked well from day one though. They claimed they are implementing a better version ... keep dreaming.
Mine don't work at all on Auto anymore. I have a buddy with a 2019 Model 3, and he said they got broken, too, and work poorly. He does not have FSD.

Mine don't work at all on Auto anymore. I have a buddy with a 2019 Model 3, and he said they got broken, too, and work poorly. He does not have FSD.
Yeap. I have the exact same problem. I have turned off the auto wiper, created a different profile with only TACC, all broken. I think it is broken beginning 11.4.x, can't confirm but it's been dry for a long time here. Tesla thinks vision can solve all problems or at least snap the name on it then people will believe it.

Yeap. I have the exact same problem. I have turned off the auto wiper, created a different profile with only TACC, all broken. I think it is broken beginning 11.4.x, can't confirm but it's been dry for a long time here. Tesla thinks vision can solve all problems or at least snap the name on it then people will believe it.
To be fair, they did work a lot better prior to 11.4.7, but 11.4.7 broke them, at that moment. There's some discussion in the FSD thread, too, where I chimed in today with some real-world examples of the brokenness.

#14,446

To be fair, they did work a lot better prior to 11.4.7, but 11.4.7 broke them, at that moment. There's some discussion in the FSD thread, too, where I chimed in today with some real-world examples of the brokenness.

#14,446
I never liked mine (17 MS). Before all the fancy name, the two different levels intermittent wiper speed doesn't work well in all situations, and the highest speed is not fast enough for heavy down pour but at least they are predictable, now the burden is on the user ... Yes, I am aware of the FSD thread.