Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC in manual

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

J Bart

Nov 21, 2023
Iowa
Why does my 2020 Model S always change the HVAC settings every time I start a new drive? Today I took it to the store and my feet were cold and I look at the HVAC menu and I see it is set to just upper zone. I'm pretty sure I had changed it to floor and defrost on my last drive. I changed it back to just floor and turned the temp up a couple of degrees. When I came out of the store again, the floor section was turned off and it was just directed to the windshield. What gives? Its freaking cold in the middle of the US right now and the car randomly changing setting is rather annoying. I would leave it on auto, but auto tends to forget that people have feet too.

Note, this is my first Tesla and I've only had it for a couple of months. My last car was an Audi A8 that spoiled the me. I love the powertrain and the BEV of Tesla, but the Model S doing the small things leaves a lot to be desired. I miss the ride quality of A8, usable cupholders that aren't underneath your elbow, seat quality/adjustments, door pockets, HVAC settings, etc. Tesla also seems to flat out forget about the legacy style MCU Model S. I still like the model S, but these little things are adding up. Right now, between the HVAC that keeps changing settings on its own and a terribly bumpy ride in comfort mode when the temps fall below freezing its starting to wear on me.

Well it’s the Tesla thing. On my MCU1 car it does changes the HVAC settings too. I believe they recently announced again that new SW update have this now fixed. But it was for the MCU2 crowd so can’t confirm.
I use manual settings always, also on summer. We do not get that hot here so I only choose AC if it’s needed. But the constant settings changing does applies for that too.