Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I finally placed my order tonight, so now begins the wait! 60/Silver/19/Black leather/matte/Sound/Air/Tech. Does anyone know if TM works on Saturdays? I'm planning to call them to confirm my order to start the process immediately instead of the standard waiting 2 weeks.

gmtom1 - exciting! I would recommend calling the San Diego showroom, as I was directed to them for inventory inquiries, as well as assistance with ordering a vehicle. This is my contact:

Nicole Lewandowski | Assistant Store Manager
Tesla Motors University Towne Centre
4545 La Jolla Village Drive D17 | San Diego, CA 92122
p 858.558.1555

If Nicole is not there, ask for another manager. They are open on weekends. FYI - I was told that you can ask to expedite your order, which means a 4-6 week production time. While that is all good, it seems that delivery is the wildcard. Good luck!

nanimac - good ones! :smile:

60 kWh (software limited to 40kWh), tech package, air suspension, all glass panoramic sun roof. standard interior. When I get a chance to take a better picture outside, I will. At night or overcast, it looks black with hint of green. In full sunlight, the green comes out more. Beautiful color.

hhmmm, drtko147 stumbled on a part of the registration process that we have not seen before ... the double signing of the DMV form. Someone that is headed to DMV soon, could you pick up a hand ful of the DMV registration forms, please? Them maybe next time drop them off at the SC? If they were out there, someone that might need to double sign them would be able to get them at the SC and take it with them already signed to the DMV. Might see like a rare event, but tweaking the registration process for folks with both names on the Bill of Sale would likely be very useful. Anyone think this a good or bad idea?

drtko147, Green MS, huh? Tell us more. What's your configuration? We all want to know. If you have your tag, can you share the number with us so we know its you when we wave? thanks

nanimac, Will you be dockside when the Horizon boat arrives this Sunday? Should we all come down there and pray with you? we will...

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, there. You need to take a look at my car. You know who this is.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Just called TM to confirm my order and received a bit of disappointing news. I didn't realize they do not offer the Tesla financing program in Hawaii, which is really what I liked about the deal and the guarantee. Decided not to confirm the order just yet and see what other folks have done here for financing options - any suggestions?

gmtom1 - I'm not sure why San Diego, but both the Palo alto folks and Luke from SC referred me to them. Mac is based out of palo alto.

The financing is a bummer. I wanted to take advantage of the special as well. I used Hawaii State FCU. The only issue is that they can't do an auto loan until the vehicle is here and registered. I obtained a personal loan which will convert to an auto loan when the car arrives. HSFCU has some of the lowest auto interest rates in town. Honolulu federal credit union also has good rates, and they will do the loan even though the car is not physically present. UH credit union has a green equity line and green auto loan.

Just called TM to confirm my order and received a bit of disappointing news. I didn't realize they do not offer the Tesla financing program in Hawaii, which is really what I liked about the deal and the guarantee. Decided not to confirm the order just yet and see what other folks have done here for financing options - any suggestions?

Allliant Credit Union was quick, super easy and cheap... 1.5%. Call because their online form will eventually end up telling you to call anyway.

Allliant Credit Union was quick, super easy and cheap... 1.5%. Call because their online form will eventually end up telling you to call anyway.

i used Alliant CU too. Yeah, call them instead if online form. Superfast..check gets to Tesla the next day. I got the 1.49% too. They've financed hundreds of Teslas so are familiar witg the paperwork from Tesla.

In other news, stopped by the service center today since I was at Waikele. Solar powered was there picking up his car and looking very happy! Nice white Tesla! Talked to Barry, Efron and the detailer for a bit. They're a fun bunch of guys! Tried my best to charm my way to a sooner rather than later delivery :) Of course, Barry was not promising anything. LOL Efron even gave me a quick overview of the screen and all the functions and showed me how the air suspension and creep work.

There were probably at least a dozen cars there. A couple reds, one blue, a black, a couple greys, and a few silvers and whites. Barry mentioned that they are now getting the containers delivered directly to them from the shipper so they don't need to have the cars trucked anymore. Says it eliminates two transfers of the cars.

so at least I got my tesla fix today. Congrats again solar powered!

- - - Updated - - -

I see that anyone can join Alliant Credit Union if they give a $10 or greater contribution to Foster Care to Success. Sounds like a good deal all around.

It's a great deal and Alliant even deposits $105 in your account so all u pay is the $10+ donation to foster care program.

60 kWh (software limited to 40kWh), tech package, air suspension, all glass panoramic sun roof. standard interior. When I get a chance to take a better picture outside, I will. At night or overcast, it looks black with hint of green. In full sunlight, the green comes out more. Beautiful color.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, there. You need to take a look at my car. You know who this is.

I was wondering when you were going to show up, lol. Next time at work ... :)

New power cord arrived today. So far, so good. Problem was intermittent though, so we'll see... Stay tuned.

No, No No... What you need is a bright shiny new HPWC. I happen to have an "Extra" if you are interested???

I stopped by the SC today to see if Barry knew of someone in need that I could sell or trade with. I guess I got there too late, he was closed already.

anyone? Bueler... Bueler... Bueler..

After 4 days with my Model S

Overall impression: This car is going to change the industry. Acceleration is fabulous, handling is very good, tech features are a delight, and it doesn't burn gasoline. Oh yeah, I feel like James Bond when driving this gorgeous car.

Best surprise: I didn't realize how much I would enjoy listening to music in the car. Because the car is so quiet, I can hear the music just that much better. When a phone call comes in, the music pauses, I press a virtual button on the touchscreen, and I'm conversing in a normal voice. I spend nearly two hours a day driving, and the productivity this car gives me for taking care of my phone calls to and from work is much welcomed. I don't have much time for easy listening of music at home, so my time in the car includes a chance to call up old favorites on Slacker that I haven't heard in years. I mean, when was the last time you listened to "City of New Orleans" by Arlo Guthrie?

Worst surprise: Curb rash! Fortunately I got off pretty easily today when it happened. The little bump is barely perceivable, but it was a warning. While maneuvering in a parking lot my right rear wheel touched the curb. I couldn't believe it had happened because I've been driving through the same parking lot for years in my old car and nothing like this ever happened to me. Here's what I think happened. This car is wider than anything I've driven before. Next, when I stood behind the Model S I could see the rear wheels extend wider than the width of the front wheels. They really are wider than you expect them to be. Until you gain experience with this car you need to be extra careful maneuvering near curbs, and that's especially true for those of you with those beautiful 21 inch wheels. Normally, the mirrors on my car are set near the wide end of their operating limits in order to eliminate blind spots, but I plan to experiment in tight quarters near curbs by adjusting the mirrors inward and down so that I can see both the curb and my rear wheel on that side.

Favorite option: The pano roof.

Second Favorite Option: Air suspension. You know those long concrete bumps in parking spaces that keep you from rolling too far forward in the space? They're notorious for nailing the bottom front or back end of cars. With the air suspension on extra high, though, I can proceed farther into the parking space and not have a portion of my car sticking too far from the parking space. The problem will arise when an owner gets too confident with the procedure and forgets to raise the car before driving over one of these concrete bumps.

New habits: Every night before I go to sleep I check my smartphone to insure that the Tesla is charged or charging. With my distance to work and back, I can't make it home from work on the second day unless I recharged that evening.

Tesla grin: Guilty as charged

Last edited:
Second Favorite Option: Air suspension. You know those long concrete bumps in parking spaces that keep you from rolling too far forward in the space? They're notorious for nailing the bottom front or back end of cars. With the air suspension on extra high, though, I can proceed farther into the parking space and not have a portion of my car sticking too far from the parking space. The problem will arise when an owner gets too confident with the procedure and forgets to raise the car before driving over one of these concrete bumps.

One thing you will want to check is that the car hasn't settled onto the curb before you pull out. On other cars, I've had the unfortunate experience of pulling the car's front nose trim right off.

One thing you will want to check is that the car hasn't settled onto the curb before you pull out. On other cars, I've had the unfortunate experience of pulling the car's front nose trim right off.

I would think that if you drove in with the suspension at "high" wouldn't the car stay that way until you 1) change it back or 2) reach city/highway speed and it automatically settles back down? Or are you referring to a malfunction and the air leaking back out?

- - - Updated - - -

i used Alliant CU too. Yeah, call them instead if online form. Superfast..check gets to Tesla the next day. I got the 1.49% too. They've financed hundreds of Teslas so are familiar witg the paperwork from Tesla.

In other news, stopped by the service center today since I was at Waikele. Solar powered was there picking up his car and looking very happy! Nice white Tesla! Talked to Barry, Efron and the detailer for a bit. They're a fun bunch of guys! Tried my best to charm my way to a sooner rather than later delivery :) Of course, Barry was not promising anything. LOL Efron even gave me a quick overview of the screen and all the functions and showed me how the air suspension and creep work.

There were probably at least a dozen cars there. A couple reds, one blue, a black, a couple greys, and a few silvers and whites. Barry mentioned that they are now getting the containers delivered directly to them from the shipper so they don't need to have the cars trucked anymore. Says it eliminates two transfers of the cars.

so at least I got my tesla fix today. Congrats again solar powered!

- - - Updated - - -

It's a great deal and Alliant even deposits $105 in your account so all u pay is the $10+ donation to foster care program.

Thanks all for the financing recommendations. I must say, yesterday was both a very happy and very disappointing day. I had called into TM to confirm my order and send to the factory, but fortunately, I asked about the Tesla financing when the person made the obligatory "Is there anything else I can help you with?" question. I ended up not confirming the order and will have to look into financing options more on Monday.

They really should 1) make it more obvious that Tesla financing is not available to everyone (why not I wonder?) and 2) consider detaching the resale guarantee from the requirement to get Tesla financing. I'm sure TM made an arrangement with Wells and US Bank, but it just seems a little disingenuous to talk up the benefits of the guarantee all over the site and in the media, yet not make it available to everyone who buys a Tesla by tying it to the availability of TM financing. Or make Tesla financing available everywhere. (except perhaps Texas & NC, since they deserve to suffer a bit for being so shortsighted in their stealership restriction laws)

For me, the resale guarantee was really what helped me pull the trigger, since I typically lease my cars and I love that I can turn it back in and walk into something new every three years without the hassle of selling the car and worrying about the outstanding balance. My original plan was to turn the MS back in after 36 months and step into a new one so I could get any "upgrades" that they've made to the hardware, or perhaps upgrade to a P60 or P85 model. (Ok, end rant #2 here....)

On a happier note, I did find PenFed CU has really low rates - 1.49% and I also looked into Alliant as well. Since my delivery button is a still several weeks away, I have some time to decide, but I'm wondering now if it's possible to lock in by applying for the loan now, even though I won't need to disburse until probably mid to late July? Reading on some of the other forums, it's amazing how crazy low some of these rates are, but I want to lock in now since rates are rising.

@Papafox - I've read elsewhere on the site you can custom program auto-tilt mirrors for reverse. Perhaps that may be a good option so you can keep your mirrors properly set for normal driving, but tilt down to see the tires/rims when reversing into a parallel space.

Last edited:
Fob, Don't leave home without it.

Under the category of What did I do stupid this week or Why wasn't I thinking, hummed
to the tune of Dierks Bently's, What was I thinkin'

Remember this and don't do as I did. Yes, I am embarassed, and I am sharing
because there's both a good lesson and a good laugh.

Yesterday two guests came by the house right after I had finished washing the MS. One said, "Can we
go for a ride". "Of course, I said, I was just waiting for one of you to ask. We jumped in and off we went.
A couple of miles down the road, I pulled over and said, "do you want to drive". "Yes", she said, so we
both got out and changed seats. Buckled up now, she says, "how does it go"? "Step on the brake and
pull it in drive." But she did, and we didn't.

Odd I thought, let me put the fob in the cup holder. Do you see where this is going? LOL. My pocket is
empty. So where's the fob? On the workbench in the garage. Yep, the garage about three miles down the road.

The Lesson. The car will drive off if you are within door unlocking range of the fob.
If I had stayed in my driver seat, all would have been fine.
When you get out of the seat, it "resets" and you can't re-engage.

I called Tesla Ownership. They could not help.
VERY luckily, I called a good friend who drove me back to my home and I got the fob, then the back to the car.
Back in less than 8 minutes, the two guests were happy to sit there listening to music and surfing the web.

I won't make this foolish mistake again. That would have been a long walk.
Now have a good laugh on me, I earned it.

Last edited:
Gmtom, that's great about penfed..I wanted to go with them originally since they have locations here but their rates went up 1.79%.. Great for you that they're back down now. They've done a bunch of Tesla loans too.

Akikiki, good thing to know about the fob!

papafox, great assessment of your car. I'll have to get used to adjusting the air suspension since I pretty much just drive over speed bumps in my SUV.

Status
Not open for further replies.