Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I second Zaino. You can pick it up from PakShak on Sand Island. The guys there really know their stuff and can give you advice on detailing your car. They keep strange hours though so check if they're open before you go.

I have also been a long time Zaino user. On the advice of my body shop, I tried a different product yesterday - Nanoskin Nano Shock. This was the first time I tried this product - it is a polymer. Very easy to apply, just spray on and wipe off. It takes 24 hours to cure. Results were pretty impressive.

Nanimac, congrats on your new car! It was a long wait but now you can enjoy!

Last edited:
Akikiki, great finally meeting you in person and thanks for the awesome pics and the license plate and safety check ideas/goodies :) Was totally engrossed in the car that only had a few pics of my own :) nice meeting leeward too and seeing solar powered again..it was a like a mini tesla meet up! I loved hearing all of your experiences in person!

didn't get too much driving in today...did the safety check thing then a few showings of the car to family and friends..but did play with the acceleration a few times after I left the service center! Also, drove like a grandma going up driveways and reversing..lol
Totally LOVE the car so far! will report back next week with my driving experiences...may even let the hubby drive it..LOL

Congrats and looking forward to the full impressions later! :)

While I agree with the premise - maybe the Big Island - I don't think there is enough numbers or critical mass on the Big Island to merit a Super Charger. Out of the roughly 100 or so Model Ses (my estimate) in the state right now, the bulk of them are obviously on Oahu. I bet there are less than 10% on the Big Island and that's being generous. Tesla isn't going to build a Super Charger for 10 cars. I realize the number could grow, but it would have to be a pretty significant number for Tesla to devote resources to building a station. Maybe I will eat my words, but I doubt we'll ever see a Super Charger in Hawaii.

The new battery swap / grid storage options are very intriguing for places like the Big Island with not as much built out infrastructure. I can see government or another quasi-political entity (HELCO?) being interested in the possible grid tie-ins / power storage possibilities and wanting to sponsor something like that which may lead to batteries that Tesla owners can use for driving. Not saying that it's a LIKELY possibility, just that it's in the realm of possibility.

Hawaiiskibum, I've got one picture of the dark red 85 that Barry has at the SC. Its been there now a least 1 maybe 2 months. You might be able to be the first to get a "deal" talking to TM. I am sure they are tired of it sitting there. It's beautiful. I am not sure, it might be a Signature. Beige interior I believe. Take a drive by, you might avoid your wait. I will post the pic of the dark red tonite. Might be that nanimac put one in her group back on page 47, I think.

yup, red one is a signature and is "used". Someone on the Big Island wasn't happy with it and returned it! Barry says he forwarded everyone's info who's interested to Tesla sales but we haven't heard anything. Could be they're too busy getting out new Teslas to figure out pricing on a used one?

nanimac, Dark Red 85 is going back to California. Don't know the details. Interesting, huh?

Last edited:
After having the MS for several days, I will say that there is very little about this car that I don't like. It handles beautifully, looks fantastic and when I put pedal to the metal, it feels like a jet taking off. Opened it up on the freeway today and even at high speeds, the ride is smooth, road hugging and very stable. Won't disclose the top speed, but it gave me a rush. Even better, I did not encounter any flashing blue lights along the way. I was asked if I had any buyer's remorse. NOT ONE IOTA! NONE WHATSOEVER! It has surpassed my expectations and I'm telling everyone they need to get one. After riding my car last night, my girlfriend and her husband are arguing about whose car is going to get replaced with a new Tesla. :smile: I think they need 2.

No pics yet as the weather has been unpredictable and I just finished washing Red Ruby2.

nanimac, Dark Red 85 is going back to California. Don't know the details. Interesting, huh?

Efron mentioned that there were 3 loaners and 2 of them were going back to the mainland. I guess that leaves only one for the HNL SC.

Got my recall issue fixed today. Yes, they are working 7 days a week for now. One tech is here from the mainland for the next couple of weeks to deal with the recall issues. Their service is just terrific, even better than my experience with Lexus.

After having the MS for several days, I will say that there is very little about this car that I don't like. It handles beautifully, looks fantastic and when I put pedal to the metal, it feels like a jet taking off. Opened it up on the freeway today and even at high speeds, the ride is smooth, road hugging and very stable. Won't disclose the top speed, but it gave me a rush. Even better, I did not encounter any flashing blue lights along the way. I was asked if I had any buyer's remorse. NOT ONE IOTA! NONE WHATSOEVER! It has surpassed my expectations and I'm telling everyone they need to get one. After riding my car last night, my girlfriend and her husband are arguing about whose car is going to get replaced with a new Tesla. :smile: I think they need 2..

Congrats and I would agree!

skibum, ohhhh, we've heard it alllll beforeeeee.. BUT, it never gets old hearing it. As you well know,its no surprise that you find it exciting, fast, fun to drive, and so much more than we expected. Its good to hear each person tell all of us one more time. So keep those cards and letters coming to us on what you think. So glad you are enjoying it.

I went out to the SC just to see nanimac Tesla Grin. She was so immediately engrossed in the car she didn't even realize how big her smile was. It was so much fun seeing her go through that. Made my weekend. It too never gets old.

Elon says 1 out of every 4 that drive it buy it. So go find two more to drive/ride in yours and your friends will be the 1 of 4. Works that way, doesn't it?

You owe us pictures and more good experiences.

I went out to the SC just to see nanimac Tesla Grin. She was so immediately engrossed in the car she didn't even realize how big her smile was. It was so much fun seeing her go through that. Made my weekend. It too never gets old.

Elon says 1 out of every 4 that drive it buy it. So go find two more to drive/ride in yours and your friends will be the 1 of 4. Works that way, doesn't it?

You owe us pictures and more good experiences.

Still have the big Tesla grin :) I asked my cousin who was with us yesterday what color he would get...he said he already configured one on the website! LOL..just gotta get him to sell his volt and go ALL electric!

I have also been a long time Zaino user. On the advice of my body shop, I tried a different product yesterday - Nanoskin Nano Shock. This was the first time I tried this product - it is a polymer. Very easy to apply, just spray on and wipe off. It takes 24 hours to cure. Results were pretty impressive.

Zaino came out with a new product...I think. It sounds a bit like the Nanoskin Nano Shock. It is called Z-CS Clear Seal. Check it out here: http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-CS&Category_Code=Zaino

Sounds almost too good to be true.

drtko147: I picked up a safety check plate from Ron's (on Nimitz) last week for $26. I got the side plate like ddruz's. O'Reilly in Salt Lake had only one in stock for $35.

- - - Updated - - -

Has any one with the tech package set up Homelink?
I was unable to get it to recognize my wife's gate and garage door opener transmitter and I lost my old one before we went away for a trip, so I really need to get this to work. I tried in front of the bumper and inside the frunk. Our gate and operator are only one year old and both use the new rolling code technology. One thing that I didn't have time to do is to get new batteries for the transmitter. Does that really increase signal strength? I also read on the Tesla forum that you hold it one inch from the T badge or inside the frunk just as close. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Solar powered, were you able to get home link to work? I set mine up in less than five minutes..even left the car in the garage while doing it since it was raining outside. Maybe some GD openers aren't compatible with Homelink?

Last edited:
Zaino came out with a new product...I think. It sounds a bit like the Nanoskin Nano Shock. It is called Z-CS Clear Seal. Check it out here: http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-CS&Category_Code=Zaino

For the Nanoskin Nano Shock, I can attest to the ease of application, and water beading is very pronounced. You can also get a rubber pad and use the Nano Shock as a lubricant, then just wipe off. Does the same thing as claying, but much faster and easier. My wife's car finish was very rough, and the pad made the finish very smooth with very little effort. I don't know about it lasting 9 months like Zaino claims, my body shop told me to reapply Nano Shock every 2 months.

Last edited:
I'm I missing something? When I use voice commands for phone calls and playing music, I still have to tap the touchscreen to make it happen...

Jeffdhood- I also have to touch the screen to make sure the song is the correct song or the call is to the right person. Without that step I suspect there'd be too many phone calls to the wrong person or wrong songs played. I trust someone else will chime in if I'm incorrect.

Nanimac- Looking forward to seeing a photo of that blue angel Tesla. As you know, I have a thing for that color. Since you've been without your Tesla I've been without my early warning system that there's something I need to know. Thank goodness your ship finally came in! Have fun.

Last edited:
Here's a picture I took when I first got home before it started raining. Will post more soon on the bragging thread.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 175
Thanks, Jkam. I'll check it out. I ordered it online from PakShak and will pick it up.

By way, my wife is still struggling with range anxiety. She used 40 miles and it had 99 miles left. She wanted to drive to Ala Moana to plug it in instead of driving home. Oh, well. I drove it to church on Saturday night, then home. Have not plugged it in yet. Still have 50 miles left on it.

I'm I missing something? When I use voice commands for phone calls and playing music, I still have to tap the touchscreen to make it happen...
You are correct jeffdhood. The screen shows you its best estimate at your voice command and your tap indicates confirmation. It's not uncommon for voice commanded electronics to require some type of confirmation since the technology is not perfect.

Fortunately Tesla's voice commands bring up the correct selection awaiting an easy tap most of the time. (BTW I usually use two fingers to tap just to make sure I hit it since I don't like to divert eye attention from the road.)

ddruz, Back when you first got your S, you said if you could redo, you would skip the toys. Still feel that way?
Interesting you ask Akikiki. I think a lot about this because I do have some buyer's remorse on certain options, but not one bit on the car itself. My car is a 60 | silver | pano | tech | air | tan + om | sound | aftermarket paint armor full hood

Were I ordering today I would order regular instead of air suspension. Reports are it rides extremely well with almost no noticeable difference to air and I don't need to navigate steep driveways, snow etc. Plus I have some real reservations about costs of repairing air suspension down the road since the fine print of the extended service agreement excludes shocks.

Since Tesla has now switched memory seats from the leather option to the tech package and added heated seats and lumbar support to textile seats I would unquestionable go with textile seats since I'm AOK with the piano black decor.

However, I admit to waffle on whether I'd get the tech package again now that the memory seats are tied to it and Tesla has eliminated the press to extend door handles without the tech package. Corroborated reports are that in cars now being built without tech you need to press the key fob to extend the door handles whereas before the car would sense your fob and you could extend the door handles with a press.

The NAV system cannot properly handle dashes in addresses, which we have a lot of in Hawaii, and it frequently wants to take me very indirect routes so while it's cool it still isn't as reliable as my iPhone Google maps. I admit to liking the power lift gate auto-closure much more than anticipated. At day's end I would probably, though not positively, get tech again and still feel overcharged for it.

I paid for silver paint since it shows dirt least. However, I find I'm washing the car enough I might actually buy plain white, which is my personal Tesla favorite color, on a redo. I would not feel as compelled to buy after market paint armor for white either because it touches up so easily. You can also take white though an automatic car wash with less concern about seeing any swirls.

I love the bass in the premium sound system and find the Dolby does enhance FLAC nicely (not so with Slacker) which is the primarily sound source I listen to. However, I like the car's amazing silence so much that I drive in silence most of the time! So while I feel the sound studio is worth the money I might not get it knowing I rarely have the sound on in this astonishingly quiet car. This would be a tough one.

I would definitely get pano roof again. It is well worth the price to me.

In summary to your question: I love my car as it is. But knowing what I do now, on a redo the only option I'd unquestionably buy would be the pano roof. I'd definitely not get air or leather. The other options I now own would be up in the air till time to sign on the dotted line. But of course there are no redos. Yet you asked so those are my thoughts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.