Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have the CPO Roadster dried up already?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the feeling that when they dropped the prices and included the 3 year warranty that they flew out the door. They certainly were a good deal!

On the other hand, they might be eeking them out to avoid having to prep them all at once... (Being contradictory here... pick one opinion)

They have never put all of the cars in a searchable online inventory, so don't assume that what you see online or on eBay is the complete supply. Send an email to [email protected] with what you seek and they will get back to you.

But given that (I heard) they are no longer buying Roadsters, this appears to be a one-time phenomenon.

I bought one after they dropped the price and improved the warranty to include the battery. The car I purchased never made it to ebay or their website. They have been selling very quickly and I would expect it to be a pretty small window of availability as they have stopped accepting trade-ins to my knowledge. I would contact them by email (above) and let them know what you are looking for. They are unlikely to provide a full list of available cars but they were incredibly responsive for me and I had a deposit down on my desired vehicle within a day. They also got me connected with US Alliance FCU for financing: 1.39%/60mo or 1.89%/72or84 mo.

Only one 2.5 Roadster Sport now listed on the website as of the time of this post. There was a 1.5 red one earlier today that was a loaner and had only 1300 miles on it. There were 8 listed about 2 weeks ago. These do indeed seem to be moving fast.

I put my deposit down on 6/28/2013 while I researched the car a bit more and obtained FCU financing as well. I told them I'd definitely take the car on 7/5/2013. I actually haven't heart anything from Tesla in over a week now so I'm a bit in the dark about the process of my CPO Roadster. I imagine they are quite busy and moving things along as fast as they can.

Hopefully there are more to be listed in the coming weeks. There certainly seems to be some demand. I think the price drop and the low interest rates make this a great opportunity. I have the cash to purchase, but since it's has been earning 12% during the recovery and I can borrow it for less than 2%, I will happily finance it at this time.

I've been talking with CPO over a few weeks. I think the sum of the comments here have it... Roadsters have been moving with lower price and better warranty, but not all cars were ever posted, and it's definitely worth contacting them directly to see what's still around, i.e. good chance there's still options, but I wouldn't hesitate on this.
I went to eBay this morning just to look around at the inventory. And there are 4 cars? Where did the glut go?

I've been talking with CPO over a few weeks. I think the sum of the comments here have it... Roadsters have been moving with lower price and better warranty, but not all cars were ever posted, and it's definitely worth contacting them directly to see what's still around, i.e. good chance there's still options, but I wouldn't hesitate on this.

We wanted CPOs for the EVent and they kept being sold out from under us. I thought it was salesman-hype but was really true. We had the white one with red stripes booked for the lobby, and it sold. A BRgreen one for out front with three others, Sold. Sold. They sold two while at TESLIVE. Flying out the door is a perfect description.

I bought the British Racing Green one, had I known I would have happily let you have it to show ;) I haven't received word on when I will receive it yet anyways! They seem to have gone dark on a couple of us with deposits down.

That's cool. They said they had to do prep on the cars going out. The orange one sold but they left it with us since your car and the others were being prepped.

But given that (I heard) they are no longer buying Roadsters, this appears to be a one-time phenomenon.

This is a complete guess, but I imagine there might be another round of Roadster CPO's when the current Roadster leases end. I imagine the lessee will be faced with either buying out the residual or returning. I suspect a good portion will return and buy an S or X leaving more Roadsters for the rest of us.

BTW ipdamages, I LOVE the color of your Roadsters. My first choice was yellow (my old 2007 Honda S2000 was Rio Yellow Pearl). I would have snagged another yellow if I could have found a CPO one, but I'm getting a Very Orange one instead - a close second choice for this car.

We wanted CPOs for the EVent and they kept being sold out from under us. I thought it was salesman-hype but was really true. We had the white one with red stripes booked for the lobby, and it sold. A BRgreen one for out front with three others, Sold. Sold. They sold two while at TESLIVE. Flying out the door is a perfect description.

Interesting Eric. I was thinking some CPO cars might actually be bought by TESLIVE participants over the weekend.

This is a complete guess, but I imagine there might be another round of Roadster CPO's when the current Roadster leases end. I imagine the lessee will be faced with either buying out the residual or returning. I suspect a good portion will return and buy an S or X leaving more Roadsters for the rest of us.

BTW ipdamages, I LOVE the color of your Roadsters. My first choice was yellow (my old 2007 Honda S2000 was Rio Yellow Pearl). I would have snagged another yellow if I could have found a CPO one, but I'm getting a Very Orange one instead - a close second choice for this car.

I will also be interested to see what they do in Europe and elsewhere as Roadster owners want to trade in for a Model X.

Thanks for the kind words. I bought just when the new ones were selling out, so I originally bought a Radiant Red w/saddle interior and then had Al & Ed's help me do an extreme makeover, Roadster edition. But I like almost all of the colors. I think they each are attractive in their own way. Some, like EricVFX's, are ok in pics but fantastic in person.

FWIW, I contacted them this week to get an inventory snapshot. Ryan replied promptly (thank you, in case you're reading this :wink:) with a list of 7 cars: one 1.5, five 2.0, and one 2.5. If it's true that TM has stopped buying Roadsters (as suggested above), it sure looks like that the CPO gold rush might already be over. Other thoughts?

This:

They [CPO Roadsters] have most definitely dried up... They had more than 100 they sold through in the past six months and had dozens at any given time... They never had the website updates with all available roadsters and currently only have 5 or 6 left to sell period... They are also no longer actively accepting trade ins [My underline.]
…was posted here:

For Sale By Owner: Roadster 1.5 Silver/beige, Factory Warranty until 5/2016, SoCal car (Post #10.)

What does the underlined mean? “no longer actively accepting trade ins"?