Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ground light on bottom of door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got mine in the mail today -- I hooked them up to an outlet with a 12v power adapter to see how they looked, and I have to say: they are pretty damn cool looking. I wasnt sure what I was going to do with them.... if they looked too cheesy, I thought frunk/trunk might be the way to go...if they looked cool, then do the door. Think I am going to do the door, especially since there is a drain plug and it all appears fairly straight forward in terms of install.
I do hope someone else posts step by step instructions while I am wait for me pry tools to come in the mail in the next day or so and decide to tackle it on my own. Anyone have instructions on how to remove the door panel??

I am told, with no official confirmation, that there are pressure sensors in the door for the airbags and I don't know, but wouldn't be surprised if using the drain plug might screw up the sensors. I would drill a separate hole, I think.

Was just in the SD service center yesterday getting my cracked sunroof replaced (damaged in shipment). Pretty sure this is my car, unless there is another one in SD with those lights and Vossen wheels. :) Will have to join the Facebook group.

Would love acouple more pictures... how did you do it?? Drain plug hole, or did you drill into the door plastic? Did you disconnect the other light and just tap in to the power source? DETAILS PLEASE !!!!!!!

Drill another hole so the projector will be perpendicular to the ground. The drain hole is on an angle, and the projection will be oval if the projector is not perpendicular to the ground. The drain hole is also slightly larger than the projector.

WP_20130811_001.jpg

Drill another hole so the projector will be perpendicular to the ground. The drain hole is on an angle, and the projection will be oval if the projector is not perpendicular to the ground. The drain hole is also slightly larger than the projector.

View attachment 29104

Can you take a photo from underneath? Am looking for the placement of where you drilled. THANK YOU!! I am going to do this tonight or tomorrow! (For other - I will take lots of photos too!!)

Can you take a photo from underneath? Am looking for the placement of where you drilled. THANK YOU!! I am going to do this tonight or tomorrow! (For other - I will take lots of photos too!!)

I will try to now.

- - - Updated - - -

WP_20130824_004.jpg

I didn't do the installation. I took my car to Texas stereo because they had the best reviews. I figured they would have the best experience removing door panels. I wanted to use the hole with the plug. They talked me out of it because they felt the projection would be better from the location where they drilled the hole. It took them 3 hours for the installation. The technician was meticulous and had significant knowledge about Teslas.

Would love acouple more pictures... how did you do it?? Drain plug hole, or did you drill into the door plastic? Did you disconnect the other light and just tap in to the power source? DETAILS PLEASE !!!!!!!

Here is another picture that I posted in my build thread:

Kmlkdwa.jpg

They removed the light that was already in the bottom of the door and replaced it with these. To my knowledge they tapped into that power. The lights point straight down (not at an angle) but I'm not sure if they modified the opening or anything. They have been quite a hit with everyone who rides in the car. :)

Thankyou for postingso quickly!! I was thinking to put it close to there... maybe a bit further away fromthe light. I am also thinking of disconnecting the light because the white light may washout some of the richness of the red logo. Pretty simple install, and I am hoping to not have to fill take off the door panel. Speaking of which... ANYONE KNOW HOW TO REMOVE THE DOOR PANEL ??

- - - Updated - - -

LOGAN -- would love to see your photo from underneath...did they put them in where the light was or next to it??

Thankyou for postingso quickly!! I was thinking to put it close to there... maybe a bit further away fromthe light. I am also thinking of disconnecting the light because the white light may washout some of the richness of the red logo. Pretty simple install, and I am hoping to not have to fill take off the door panel. Speaking of which... ANYONE KNOW HOW TO REMOVE THE DOOR PANEL ??

- - - Updated - - -

LOGAN -- would love to see your photo from underneath...did they put them in where the light was or next to it??

Unfortunately, I just dropped it back off at the shop so they could finish the car (powder coating wheels / wiring blind spot sensors) so I can't take a picture of it, but I will ask if they can. They removed the light that was already on the bottom of the door and placed the new puddle lights in the same location. They removed the stock lights for the same concern you have (washing out the logo).

I read some earlier posts about the light at the bottom of the door potentially washing out the projection. I just experimented with mine. I covered it with black electrician's tape. I could not discern any difference in the projection. I think my projection would look better if it was projecting onto back asphalt rather than light grey concrete.

Install complete.. Total time: 1hr 20 minutes. A few things I have learned doing this that you will want to know:
1) the puddle lights go off after a certain amount of time (30 minutes I think) and dont come back on until the door is reclosed and opened... the other doors all work, so they are independent of each other. I thought I short circuited something!! If you are going to do this. Close and reopen the door right before you start to maximize the time the lights are on so you can angle you projector logo without having to re-assemble and then dissasseble the door just to get the power back.
2) this brings me to # 2. The white clips. Make sure they are lined up perfectly. I thought they were, and then pounded the door, and broke a few.
3) solder the connections. it is just a smart thing to do.

here are 2 pics -- 1 is looking up at the door from the floor. you can see where I put the hole, and I noticed that there is a clip that is not connected to anything in there.. No idea what that is for... Blind spot detection? Camera mirrors? who knows. Hard to see in the picture -- it is the white one off to the left of the photo.

Many are discussing the white light.. it does wash it out a bit.. not sure if I am going to disconnect it or not.. right now it is still 'on'.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR POSTING AND YOUR HELP!!!!

puddle1.jpg
puddle2.jpg

If anybody wants to buy a set, but doesn't want to wait for the shipping from China, I have 1 set for sale after my wife declared them as tacky (from the photos on this thread, the box mine came in is still very much sealed).

PM if you're interested, I'll sell them for the price I paid - $26.99, with free shipping to the US.

Anyone know if you need the lighting package in the new order options list to get the standard door downlights? I just finalized and am worried that there are no lights without the package (which I didn't order). I suppose if there are any lights on the door at all I would be ok. Thanks for any insight...

Anyone know if you need the lighting package in the new order options list to get the standard door downlights? I just finalized and am worried that there are no lights without the package (which I didn't order). I suppose if there are any lights on the door at all I would be ok. Thanks for any insight...

The downlights are in the pop-out handles, and as far as I know every car has them.

I apologize I wasn't clear. I saw pictures in the above posts that show lights at the bottom frame of the door that some people replaced with the Tesla projector light. Do all cars have that light? Or only the ones with then lighting package.

Regardless I'm sure there is door activated power in the door somewhere to tap into...