Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goldman Says Model X "Prototype" at Detroit Auto Show

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can guarantee you it does not cost $15k for Tesla to make a motor or even a complete drive unit. Maybe $2000. That's just how much they charge for the part.

The battery pack for 85kWh Model S is sold for $44,000, but I would be surprised if it costs even half that to make.

Last edited:
I can guarantee you it does not cost $15k for Tesla to make a motor or even a complete drive unit. Maybe $2000. That's just how much they charge for the part.

The battery pack for 85kWh Model S is sold for $44,000, but I would be surprised if it costs even half that to make.

There have been discussions on the forum about replacement motors costing $15K.

Straying from topic, but going forward having AWD standard on premium models like S and X would be one significant way to create the premium step-up from Model 3. I like this idea as it in theory increases performance in terms of top end speed and highway fuel economy.

From everything I've read on this forum RWD is fine as long as you have good snow tires. The concern I have is that even in Massachusetts which has a reasonably snowy winter very few people buy snow tires anymore. Most cars are either FWD or AWD. It will be interesting with the Model 3 to see how going back to the old days of needing snow tires will be accepted by the "masses". This is one reason I believe AWD will be an option on the Model 3. Maybe the premium step-up is that AWD will become standard on the Model S like it will be on the Model X.

From everything I've read on this forum RWD is fine as long as you have good snow tires. The concern I have is that even in Massachusetts which has a reasonably snowy winter very few people buy snow tires anymore. Most cars are either FWD or AWD...
Same here. I can get by on All Seasons with AWD or FWD, but not with RWD. Snow tires are noisy and such a pain to deal with.

I can't imagine AWD not being an option on the Model 3. For those who drive on back roads in New England winters, AWD borders on being a necessity, certainly much more than a luxury. Given that you can get an AWD ICE for shy of $20k, I don't think Tesla will want to rule out all of those customers who may otherwise spend double that for one of its cars, especially once they've proven the technology out in the X.

Same here. I can get by on All Seasons with AWD or FWD, but not with RWD. Snow tires are noisy and such a pain to deal with.
AWD doesn't in any way replace snow tires! AWD will help you get up hills and the like in snow, but doesn't help at all if you come around a corner and there's a kid crossing the road. With snow tires you might be able to stop - with summer tires/all season tires, not so much.

It's quite irresponsible to be driving in weather requiring snow tires with summer / all-season tires, regardless of whether one has AWD, FWD or RWD. As such, it's probably better to have RWD if you're planning on skipping snow tires. Because in those conditions where you need snow tires, you're more likely stationary on the side of the road than mowing down children.

Perhaps it is a good idea to get back on topic: Will we see the Model X in Detroit.

I am still hoping for a private unveiling event somewhere around November for reservation holders which would be showing the near production ready beta. If that is the case, showing the car at Detroit should not be a problem.

In a couple of Q&As I've heard Elon mention that a "production prototype" would be complete in the 4th quarter.
I suspect that will be one of the first few production vehicles which will then be tested before selling any production vehicles.
That is my guess as to what they are talking about.

I could see Tesla taking on a similar strategy that Apple does with its incremental hardware updates and iPhones, bumping current models down the line in price as they use economies of scale and engineering advances to put better technology into consumer's garages, while keeping prices constant for new vehicles.

The current Model S, or an extremely similar build becomes the cheaper, mid-priced Model E, while the Model S and X remain at their current and suspected prices, but continue to get the best of the best expected upgrades (AWD in the S, adaptive cruise control, LTE instead of 3G, ventilated seats, increased range, etc.).

The "Silicon Valley" methodology of having the early adopters pay a premium to help raise capital has proven to work on a smaller scale in other industries, Telsa is merely putting this to work in the yet to be seen before auto industry (to much chagrin!).

Mod Note: We have a few threads talking about AWD. AWD in Model S, AWD Price etc. Let's try to contribute to those specific discussions in their appropriate threads.

Thanks!

Combine similar threads or mark them as closed if you deem it appropriate. Otherwise, this 'helpful reminder' is inconsequential.

This isn't meant as an offense, but how are we to know where all the random threads on every discussion are? I can only assume the majority of us are perusing through and commenting on topics, discussions and micro threads that we find engaging at the time.

Combine similar threads or mark them as closed if you deem it appropriate. Otherwise, this 'helpful reminder' is inconsequential.

This isn't meant as an offense, but how are we to know where all the random threads on every discussion are? I can only assume the majority of us are perusing through and commenting on topics, discussions and micro threads that we find engaging at the time.

Point is this thread is on the Prototype at Detroit. Please try to stay on topic. Thanks.

Which is why I provided links to the appropriate threads so that further discussion can go there before the thread goes too far off track.

Point is this thread is on the Prototype at Detroit. Please try to stay on topic. Thanks.

Which is why I provided links to the appropriate threads so that further discussion can go there before the thread goes too far off track.

That makes sense, I suppose, based on the original topic of the conversation. Although it does seem to pigeonhole conversations overall.

Thanks for the reminder.

I would like to see that in the final model
ae3MLmj_460sa_v1.gif