Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gigafactory 1 : Adding assembly factory.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ellec

May 12, 2018
Uk
Looking at recent images of the Gigafactory in Nevada, it looks like they are making a large parking/staging area for employee parking an potentially delivery staging.

The old car park could be used to build out a few production lines for Model 3/Y/Semi/Roadster?

Thoughts?

Would be good to post images/info/rumours here of developments of the GF1.

DqQ0ex0WkAUlxKb.jpg

Looking at recent images of the Gigafactory in Nevada, it looks like they are making a large parking/staging area for employee parking an potentially delivery staging.

The old car park could be used to build out a few production lines for Model 3/Y/Semi/Roadster?

Thoughts?

Would be good to post images/info/rumours here of developments of the GF1.

View attachment 347096

While this is certainly interesting, this is kind of old news:
New Tesla Gigafactory 1 flyover shows new section underway, parking lot and solar rooftop array

Looks like hardly anything changed there since April.

Or a new factory in the cleared area.

What's the building to the right of the cleared area?

LMGTFY ;) ... that´s a warehouse of Thrive Market Inc.

I was in Reno, the manager of RV park asked me to sell my RV. I asked why? He said Tesla is cauing a great demand for housing in Reno, and the town cannot keep up with demand.
Reno will truely be benefitted by the growth of Tesla.
The factory is so far out in the desert its a real trip to drive out there. You think you driving to the end of the earth.
I was met by an armed guard, tourist are not allowed to visit. No tours are offered. I hope that changes.

I was in Reno, the manager of RV park asked me to sell my RV. I asked why? He said Tesla is cauing a great demand for housing in Reno, and the town cannot keep up with demand.
Reno will truely be benefitted by the growth of Tesla.
The factory is so far out in the desert its a real trip to drive out there. You think you driving to the end of the earth.
I was met by an armed guard, tourist are not allowed to visit. No tours are offered. I hope that changes.
Tours are offered but you can't just show up at the gate and expect them to let you in. I think you have to be an owner, they are only available in certain days off the week and they must be scheduled in advance. We're in Reno now but don't have time for a tour this trip. We'll be back in a few months for another tour. It will be interesting to see how much it has grown since 2016.

• Informative
Reactions: hobbes
While this is certainly interesting, this is kind of old news:
New Tesla Gigafactory 1 flyover shows new section underway, parking lot and solar rooftop array

Looks like hardly anything changed there since April.

LMGTFY ;) ... that´s a warehouse of Thrive Market Inc.

I am guessing current building is enough for Model 3 production and maybe S/X. Next they will go from 35 to 150GWh in steps, maybe this section they start now will be enough for Model Y and Semi and then they start another section for Pickup.

Great place for a factory. I wonder how to attract all the people needed for the workforce. Last I heard Panasonic was short workers for the battery production.

Other thing to consider might be water. The factory itself can probably recycle most of the water needed. But if a lot of people will be living in the area, water will be needed.

Electricity not a problem - plenty of sun. And we know someone who knows how to store it for use at night ;)

Reactions: Sudre and neroden
Has got to be cheaper for Tesla to manufacture in Nevada than in high taxed California.
Not if there's a housing shortage, and the commute-from-hell due to having no housing allowed anywhere near the factory, a parking lot so large that they need buses from people's cars to the factory, and so on.

I wish Musk would brush up on some urban planning: there are some big problems to solve before they can expand in Nevada. They're solvable, but so far he hasn't bothered to check the literature on the topic.

He'll need zoning changes and mass transportation if he wants to expand the Gigafactory much more. I said this when it opened.

I jokingly asked my wife if she wanted to move to Sparks so I could work at the Giga factory.
"You are not taking me to no F'n desert!" was her response. LOL

That answers that.

Tesla needs to create some kind of Resort for workers to live at near the factory or add a Hyperloop.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
I jokingly asked my wife if she wanted to move to Sparks so I could work at the Giga factory.

That answers that.

Tesla needs to create some kind of Resort for workers to live at near the factory or add a Hyperloop.

Different strokes for different folks, but having driven through that area recently I'm with your wife.

• Love
Reactions: neroden

That answers that.

You're OK, it's not a desert. It has a semi-arid climate, not a desert climate.

Lake Tahoe is close. But I agree that Sparks is basically Mars. And the only great thing about Reno is the fictional Sheriffs department.

I'm not sure why Reno exists. Mining?
History of Reno | City of Reno

"Reno began as the preferred crossing point of the Truckee River... Reno was officially established in 1868, the same year that the transcontinental railroad, which paralleled the Truckee River, reached the town."

So it was a river crossing which became a major point on the railroad. Now you know.

(Make use of that railroad, Mr. Musk...)

Why not build a nice little town there? Or across the first hill?
With a bit of forward ground-up thinking, limited available land can comfortably house and employ many people.
A large 24h supermarket and department store (because, 24h factory) on a low floor level, a parking deck. Street level with parks on top of those among tall business/apartment building. Business, for suppliers and related companies to hold office. Employees live higher up, to have a nice view over the GF activity and surrounding land. Oh, and hotels in various forms for the various kinds of temporary visitors.

By being actively involved in creating the town, Tesla would be able to keep costs and life quality in check for employees, making Tesla an attractive employer. Involved project developers would love to work with Tesla, there will be quirks for those getting on the Tesla program rather than opening a rogue housing project down the road. Tesla instance business partners could be dissuaded/incentivized to get on the program creating an effective monopoly on doing anything GF1 related with for-profit intension.