Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get J1772 adapter to pop charge port door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0698.jpg

Ok, the quantities are going up which means I am getting bags of parts and you, the end user, have some assembly to do. This is what will show up in the envelope. Note the white paper hanging off the printed circuit board. This isolates the battery from the board to prevent it from draining and to meet the USPS requirement for an isolated battery for electronics.

IMG_0699.jpg

The first step is to place the plastic segmented circle on the rubber switch membrane. Note the notch orientation with respect to the rubber membrane.

IMG_0700.jpg

Next, install the plastic ring/rubber membrane set in one half of the fob plastic housing (the one with the big hole in it if there was any doubt). You might want to take a moment to look at the fob plastics to understand why the black segmented circular bit had to be aligned on the rubber membrane. That one got me on the first few. The plastic fob halves would click together but it just did not look and feel right. Once all was properly aligned, it clicks together beautifully.

All outstanding orders are packaged up and will be mailed tomorrow.

Everything went out yesterday apart from one Canadian shipment. That one requires customs paperwork and the like. I'll get it out but please, no more shipments outside the US. I'm covering costs at $20 but am finding the "shipping and handling" part of this whole deal is a time/resource consumer.

Got mine last week. Got it attached to my J1772 plug at home. Fits like it was designed, and lays directly under my thumb when I want to plug/unplug it.

WP_20140602_001.jpg

WP_20140602_002.jpg

Very easy to assemble, once you decide to just push hard to close up the plastic housing.

Thanks.

My car got updated to 5.11 and now the chargeport behavior has changed (as compared to 5.9).

remote will open and unlock charge port allowing insertion of the J1772 adapter attached to charging cable
remote will unlock charge port allowing removal of the J1772 adapter attached to charging cable (port turns white)

remote will open and unlock charge port allowing insertion of the J1772 adapter attached to charging cable
remote will NOT unlock charge port. To remove J1772 adapter, have to disconnect the charging cable from the adapter first. (i.e. port doesn't turn white or unlock using the remote)

No biggie, it's just 1 extra step but it was nice to be able to leave the J1772 adapter permanently attached to my charging cable. Anyone else notice this change?

When I got this and inserted the battery, it somehow wiped out the programmed/learned homelink codes between all my garage door transmitters (including the homelink ones in our cars) and the main garage door unit. It ALSO "taught" the existing remote controls to pop open the charge door on the tesla.

Ordinarily I would think I'm crazy, but this happened two separate times. Anyone have thoughts on how this might have happened?

My previous behavior:

Five programmed / learned transmitters: two regular remotes, the LEAF, the Tesla, and the Subaru.
Battery in and press the button on the new "charge door remote"

Current behavior:
None of the remotes will activate the garage door.
The remotes (including the homelink ones) will pop the charge door on the tesla.

WTF?

(And I'm not at all blaming lolachamp, I'm just really confused as to how this works... ;-)

When I got this and inserted the battery, it somehow wiped out the programmed/learned homelink codes between all my garage door transmitters (including the homelink ones in our cars) and the main garage door unit. It ALSO "taught" the existing remote controls to pop open the charge door on the tesla.

If you remove the battery, does everything else return to normal? If so, it may be 'stuck' transmitting, and jamming devices on similar frequencies.