Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get Amped Tour: Fremont, 6/23-24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't had enough test drive videos? Fine, I'll include mine. Driving: me, camera: wife, narration: five-year old son.

Honestly, I don't think it adds all that much new to what has already been posted, so feel free to watch it but if you do, don't come to me asking for those 13 minutes of your life back. :)

Fun video, Trnsl8r! Thanks! You were gingerly, your wife seemed to be having fun and your son was uber-cute!

Hmm... a little bummed by the turn by turn voice over and modulation though; sounded straight out of a Hertz NeverLost system :( Ah... miss my dear ol' '04 Acura TL sat nav lady with her perfect tone and intonation (well, she didn't speak out street names back then).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the kind comments. :)

Yes, forgot about the navigation voice. I should mention that back at the Santana Row 4-colors event, I asked a rep if you could present a small copy of the nav screen next to the speedometer and the guy said "no, but I can suggest that". So it was fun for me to see how Alex, during the highway bit, demos for me how to get the map up on the speedometer display. :) Am I claiming credit? Noooo, just sayin'...

Last edited:
Did any of the test drivers notice if the rear-view camera has VR lines to aid in maneuvering when the S is in reverse?
I don't recall seeing any. I think it was just straight video with no markings.
But, it was wide angle seemingly high-def video. A very detailed picture of what is behind you. Looked to be updating at "full framerate" too.

Note: I only saw the camera view while we were driving forwards. (You can turn it on at any time.) I suppose it is possible that lines could appear only when the car is in reverse.

Last edited:
The fabric seats were comfortable. I live in seattle so hot weather is not an issue, but I wonder if fabric or leather is better for hot weather? What about cold weather considering no heated seats? What do you think?

Leather is sticky in hot weather.

You absolutely need heated seats in the winter with leather because it's cold.

Fabric does not transmit the heat/cold so it's not as necessary to have heated seats or to pre-cool the car before driving. (When you sit in the car for a few hours when it's -30 in Prince George or the car sits outside all day at +45C in Texas, there is no question about which is better).

In Vancouver or Seattle it doesn't make a great deal of difference on most days.

I got to go with Jerry on this one. On the rare hot (but not humid) summer day in the Bay Area, my (T-shirted) back would get sweaty after a longish drive in the leather seat in our Mini. The heating aspect is almost essential November through April. Same issues in an Acura TL, a BMW 3 and a Z3 in the past all with leather.

Had neither of these issues in the cloth-upholstered VW Passat that I had from '99 to '04. Just one data point of course...

Speaking of which, did anyone notice how loud the car is while supercharging? Fans running, A/C, all that jazz...

Well, I commented yesterday how quiet and the noticible Lack of Fans there was even after hard driving. I was told by one of the employees that the only time you really hear the fans going at all is during the supercharging operation when the car needs to really work to keep things cool.

Thanks for all the kind comments. :)

Yes, forgot about the navigation voice. I should mention that back at the Santana Row 4-colors event, I asked a rep if you could present a small copy of the nav screen next to the speedometer and the guy said "no, but I can suggest that". So it was fun for me to see how Alex, during the highway bit, demos for me how to get the map up on the speedometer display. :) Am I claiming credit? Noooo, just sayin'...

Thanks for sharing! I think you were the first to try the horn out too!

Wow, I'd forgotten how much fun driving can be.

I drove the gray performance version last Sunday. It's Sport configured suspension and performance wheels let me feel the road even with the electronic power steering. Drove 100 mph at the beginning and end of my drive. The Tesla navigator initially went into his regen talk, but at 100 mph he switched to 'put on the brake'! :eek:

I squirted onto the freeway and confidently changed lanes at will. How wonderful performance can be.
Thank you Tesla for bringing back memories of my teenage, sports car driving, years.

For future events, I am hoping that Tesla can create a setting in each car that would give us the equivalent of the 40kWh and 60kWh battery packs and their performance. I know there will be a limited number of cars and Tesla of course wants to show off the Performance model but it should be easy to create a setting to scale down the power and let it perform like its smaller cousins.... They can even call it Eco mode or something ;)
This would be especially nice if it could be done before they come to Scottsdale...

You can opt to drive a non-perf vs Perf??

I'm a little worried that I won't get a chance to drive a performance.

Will I be able to specify that I want to test a performance out?

Yes, you can ask for a specific car... you just have to wait and let others in line pass you.

They asked us if we had a specific configuration (color, perf) in mind, and oddly I wanted to have one with the pano roof (it was one of the negotiation points with the wife). Fortunately, the pano roof cars were also performance :). So, we waited and a couple of others went ahead until our car was available.

Tesla was very accommodating!

/Mitch.

Spatters

My wife was mildly interested before the test drive. Afterward she was as excited as I was and can't wait to get the car. The test drive experience is awesome, drives like nothing else I have ever driven. We chose to drive the non performance as we are on the fence and afterward I cannot imagine the performance being any faster given how incredible the ride was in the non performance.