Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get Amped Tour: Fremont, 6/23-24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never get tired of watching these! A great look at the brown one that was being followed throughout this video. Also, I don't think I've seen a single video where the driver didn't mistake the cruise control for the turn indicator. Oh well, I'm sure that won't take long to get used to.

I have a car where the cruise control is together with the turn indicator. I just don't understand why Tesla has these functions separately.

Because the windshield wiper controls are on the turn signal lever. Having all on three on one stalk is a recipe for disaster a la GM. Normally, the wiper control stalk is on the right, but that is where the PRND lever is. They couldn't get away from having a separate stalk.

Because the windshield wiper controls are on the turn signal lever. Having all on three on one stalk is a recipe for disaster a la GM. Normally, the wiper control stalk is on the right, but that is where the PRND lever is. They couldn't get away from having a separate stalk.
Oh, I see. Thanks for explanation. I guess the PRND lever messed things up over there. I was used to having the wiper control stalk on the right. Wouldn't be surprised if these parts get reorganized in the future.

Never had a problem with the GM stalk. I'm sure I'll get used to the Tesla configuration quickly too. My Volt has the cc on the steering wheel itself which is nice.

Just a quick late description of our amazing test drive experience, which we squeezed in before doing some travel that has delayed this post. To me, the most impressive thing about the test drive was not the mind-blowing acceleration, which I expected, but rather the way the car responded to me and felt so secure taking corners at speeds I would never even attempt in any other car I have ever driven. I took George at his word when he said he wanted us to floor it on the first half mile of road which Tesla owns, and it was amazing how we were suddenly at 85 mph, yet even more amazing that when I took my foot off the pedal in order to take the sharp right turn at about 35 to 40 mph, I did not have to brake at all until after the turn. So smooth and quiet. Like nothing I've ever experienced. I agree with the reviewer who noted that after such an experience, it is hard to go back to the parking lot and drive your IC engine car.

+++ . I can't imagine a bad review about the driving of the car!
maybe the rear side seat belts or the alignment of the trunk but nothing more. Get rid of the touch screen without even adding controls for anything (so long as climate control is set) and I still would like it - as long as the speedo screen was still as awesome as it is

finished waxing both of my ICE's yesterday! and my neighbor keeps asking when the S is coming so he can buy my Rav4 - how awesome! I don't want ICE no mo

One interesting thing we noticed, there were four seats with the four different signature leather colors sitting out in the sun. All of them were quite hot, except for the white, which was merely warm.

So if you're concerned about black being hot, and thinking of tan instead, don't bother. It makes no difference. Only the white seat was cooler.

(This isn't that unexpected; it's well known that IR absorption matters more than visible color.)

Noticed the same thing. It tipped me toward the white leather interior. Also noticed the tan didn't seem dark enough to hide children's finger prints much better the white (actually more of a cream or stone color) leather.

Technically, they chose this, rather than had no control. ;)

Yes, but... it can take a long time to get the 'feel' of switches and stalks 'right'. While it's true that the Merc turn/CC stalks come off the steering column at odd angles, there is no denying that the feel and motions of the buttons and stalks is 'good'. Plus, the positioning of the turn signal is something you can get used to, even if it's slightly wrong. (Sad that it's something to have to get used to, but...).

To that point, the Roadster CC stalk (I presume from the Lotus) may be in a better position, but the feel of the buttons is wrong - waaaay too stiff and heavy, tiny and fiddly. I use the Mercs' CC more than the Roadsters'.