Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General questions about ordering in NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you order online, there are relatively few options. At delivery time, are there other things to pay for that come up. Like wifi access, or something else I don't know?

Does the car have its own cell or satellite access for doing software updates and the like? Or does it have to use my phone?

Is there a shade available for the full passenger compartment glass roof? Is that roof UV protecting or E-glass or something else special? Does the car get really hot on a sunny day because of it. Does anyone find it annoying to get sunlight out of the corner of you eye because of the glass?

Is it true there are NO New York Taxes when the car is ordered online and delivered in New York?

Does the Netflix or other apps have its own communication mechanism, or does it have to use my phone?

Did I read something about the wheels are now solid to reduce rolling friction and make it quieter?

I know some of these are probably already answered and I'll be looking through the forum, but I'd like to order it today :cool: :)

When you order online, there are relatively few options. At delivery time, are there other things to pay for that come up. Like wifi access, or something else I don't know?

Does the car have its own cell or satellite access for doing software updates and the like? Or does it have to use my phone?

Is there a shade available for the full passenger compartment glass roof? Is that roof UV protecting or E-glass or something else special? Does the car get really hot on a sunny day because of it. Does anyone find it annoying to get sunlight out of the corner of you eye because of the glass?

Is it true there are NO New York Taxes when the car is ordered online and delivered in New York?

Does the Netflix or other apps have its own communication mechanism, or does it have to use my phone?

Did I read something about the wheels are now solid to reduce rolling friction and make it quieter?

I know some of these are probably already answered and I'll be looking through the forum, but I'd like to order it today :cool: :)
Yes, few options. Colors, Standard, Long Range and Performance. Beyond that, look at 3rd party options for better products and pricing. Suggest you don't pay for Full Self Driving, it can be purchased month to month after you get the car.

Yes the car has it's own cell service. Free for the first month, $9.99 a month after that.

Lot of after market options for shade and tinting. Most the heat comes through the windshield, not the sun roof.

I can't answer NY questions.

Netflix uses the cars cell service. I think you can route the internet to the car via your phone, but for $9.99 a month... Why?

Solid wheels? Hubcaps or wheels displace air to give you better range, but wheels are not solid. Tires have foam in them for sound dampening. I think that's what you're talking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: dsm363
Upvote 0

How do I edit a post I already made? I couldn't find anything on the UI of the page, but maybe I missed it.

Upvote 0
There are other things you can order from the Tesla shop website (floor mats, mud flaps...etc) that can be delivered to your house. Car doesn't have a lot of build options as you noticed.

Car has built in cellular access (can connect to wifi at home too) for software updates. No mobile phone needed. There is optional data service that adds some features for $99 a year for things like Netflix. First year is included I believe.

Not sure where you heard wheels are 'solid' but they are standard tires. Some might have foam inside to reduce noise. Tesla has almost all of this on their website.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, few options. Standard, Long Range and Performance. Suggest you don't pay for Full Self Driving, it can be purchased month to month after you get the car. Look at 3rd party options for better products and pricing.

Yes the car has it's own cell service. Free for the first month, $9.99 a month after that.

Lot of after market options for shade and tinting. Most the heat comes through the windshield, not the sun roof.

I can't answer NY questions.

Netflix uses the cars cell service. I think you can route the internet to the car via your phone, but for $9.99 a month... Why?

Solid wheels? Tires have foam in them for sound dampening.
Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0
There are other things you can order from the Tesla shop website (floor mats, mud flaps...etc) that can be delivered to your house. Car doesn't have a lot of build options as you noticed.

Car has built in cellular access (can connect to wifi at home too) for software updates. No mobile phone needed. There is optional data service that adds some features for $99 a year for things like Netflix. First year is included I believe.

Not sure where you heard wheels are 'solid' but they're standard tires. Some might have foam inside to reduce noise. Tesla has almost all of this on their website.
Thanks for the info.

Reactions: dsm363
Upvote 0
Tesla provides essential "standard" cell service free. You pay monthly or yearly after the trial period to add things

All Tesla vehicles come with access to Standard Connectivity. Standard Connectivity is included in your vehicle, at no additional cost, for eight years beginning on the first day your vehicle was delivered as new by Tesla or the first day it is put into service (for example, used as a demonstrator or service vehicle), whichever comes first. If you are purchasing a used vehicle, you will be notified of how long your vehicle will include access to Standard Connectivity. With Standard Connectivity, you have access to most connectivity features over Wi-Fi, in addition to basic maps and navigation and music streaming over Bluetooth®.
Premium Connectivity provides the ability to access all connectivity features over cellular, in addition to Wi-Fi, for the most intuitive and engaging ownership experience. Premium Connectivity is currently available as a monthly subscription of $9.99 plus applicable tax or as an annual subscription of $99 plus applicable tax and can be purchased at any time from your vehicle touchscreen or the Tesla app. Orders of Model S, Model X, Model Y, Model 3 and future variants of Cybertruck will receive a Premium Connectivity trial at delivery.
If you own a Tesla vehicle for personal use, you can subscribe to Premium Connectivity from your vehicle touchscreen or the Tesla app. If you are driving a company vehicle, contact your vehicle provider for more information.
Connectivity Packages
Connectivity PackagesStandardPremium
Navigationxx
Live Traffic Visualizationx
Sentry Mode - View Live Camerax
Satellite-View Mapsx
Video Streaming**x
Caraoke*x
Music Streaming**x
Internet Browser*x

Upvote 0
Hmmm.... I didn't find a place that had manuals. Does that only show up after you order?

... time passes ...

I went to chat and asked how to download the manual and it gave me a link to the downloads. So I have it in PDF format now. Thanks again.

It is for 2021+ so I suppose it is the latest one for a 2024 car.

Upvote 0
Hmmm.... I didn't find a place that had manuals. Does that only show up after you order?

... time passes ...

I went to chat and asked how to download the manual and it gave me a link to the downloads. So I have it in PDF format now. Thanks again.

It is for 2021+ so I suppose it is the latest one for a 2024 car.
That is the latest one.

Upvote 0

You will pay New York sales tax when the vehicle is registered. You can be sure that taxes will be added to the final bill of sale when you take delivery. On the MSLR that equates to ~ $6,600. In addition, you will also see the NY State incentive rebate, which is a $500 credit at point of sale. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
You will pay New York sales tax when the vehicle is registered. You can be sure that taxes will be added to the final bill of sale when you take delivery. On the MSLR that equates to ~ $6,600. In addition, you will also see the NY State incentive rebate, which is a $500 credit at point of sale. Hope this helps.
Copilot just showed me that maybe sales tax changed: https://www.osvehicle.com/new-york-state-sales-tax-exemption-for-electric-cars/

"Updated at December 4, 2022
As of January 1, 2020, New York State does not charge sales tax on electric cars. This applies to both new and used electric cars, and the tax break is available regardless of whether the car is purchased from a dealer or private party. The tax break is also available for leased electric cars."

Upvote 0
Copilot just showed me that maybe sales tax changed: https://www.osvehicle.com/new-york-state-sales-tax-exemption-for-electric-cars/

"Updated at December 4, 2022
As of January 1, 2020, New York State does not charge sales tax on electric cars. This applies to both new and used electric cars, and the tax break is available regardless of whether the car is purchased from a dealer or private party. The tax break is also available for leased electric cars."
Not true. You pay sales tax on a Tesla purchased in NY as i did in March 2023 plus registration fees. The sales tax amount also shows up on the Tesla online order configurator page. All vehicles sold in NY pay state sales tax at 4% plus county tax fees at an additional 4.625% depending on the county it is registered. New York has one of the highest car sales tax requirements in the nation.

Here is proof, based on a new MSLR:

Finance Options​

New York
Financing selection and terms will be confirmed after order.

Include Est. Taxes and Fees

Price after probable savings$79,067
Est. Total Cost$83,467
Vehicle Price$74,990
Destination Fee$1,390
Order Fee$250
Est. Non-Tesla Fees
Tire Fee$10
Registration Amount$218
Sales Tax$6,609
New York Incentive-$500
Est. 3-year gas savings-$3,900
Trade-in ValueGet an Estimate
Taxes and fees listed are estimates only, subject to change, and may not be accurate to you, depending on factors like your registration location. Your applicable taxes and fees will be confirmed for you closer to time of delivery.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtiede
Upvote 0
Yikes! On reading further down in the article, it said a zero emissions vehicle is subject to a $10,000 annual fee in NY. How does that work? Has anyone actually paid that?
Just ignore that article - it is flat out wrong. It seems to have been written before AI, so it can't be an AI hallucination. No annual fee except for car registration itself, as mentioned in the other post.

Reactions: mtiede
Upvote 0