Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen3 "BlueStar" 2-door coupe styling ideas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what I am secretly hoping for from Tesla (maybe not for Gen III). I want a car that doesn't conform to existing vehicle shapes that have evolved from ICE layout requirements. I want to drive a half a teardrop.

I think Tesla is going to deliver a half a teardrop to the extent that they can. Regulations force them to have front and rear bumpers (remember the Plymouth Prowler?), side mirrors, structural safety components (to TEG's point about crumple zones), etc. My personal thought would be a half teardop with the tail chopped off (kamm effect) and a bunch of flat facets / angular edges. Like a cross between a Lamborghini Aventador, a teardrop and a horseshoe crab!!

Last edited:
...My personal thought would be a half teardop with the tail chopped off (kamm effect) and a bunch of flat facets...

Hyundai Veloster is a tad bit like that:
02-2012-hyundai-veloster630-2.jpg

and Honda CRZ:
crzz.jpg

Last edited:
I think they should keep seating for 5 and not go too crazy with aerodynamics. This is supposed to be a mainstream car, and people will get spooked if it's too futuristic (i.e., weird) looking. Of course having great range should be a top goal, but I hope it can be mostly achieved with battery/drivetrain advances. This is not to say it should look boring or conventional. It should be fast and functional and sexy. Do not make it a Corolla or an Aptera.

I think they should keep seating for 5 and not go too crazy with aerodynamics. This is supposed to be a mainstream car, and people will get spooked if it's too futuristic (i.e., weird) looking. Of course having great range should be a top goal, but I hope it can be mostly achieved with battery/drivetrain advances. This is not to say it should look boring or conventional. It should be fast and functional and sexy. Do not make it a Corolla or an Aptera.

I agree. It shouldn't be bland but it needs to seat 5 people to be competitive with the 3 series market.

Subcompact Concept Design by Tesla Intern - GEN III?!?!

Hi guys, thumbs up for my first post ! Yoohoo! :) I looked at the other posts and I haven't seen this Concept Design here... What do you guys think?

tesla-compact-concept-3.jpg
tesla-compact-concept-1.jpg
tesla-compact-concept-4.jpg
tesla-compact-concept-2.jpg

Kind regards from Germany!

- - - Updated - - -

this is where I got it from: http://gas2.org/2012/12/07/tesla-intern-pens-a-subompact-luxury-ev/

As I get older I have warmed up a bit more to taller cars.
In my youth, I always thought the lowest / flattest / coolest looking sports car was the way to go, but now realize that a BEV can still keep the center of gravity low and get you better visibility and less of a "laying on your back" driving position.

Driving the Roadster feels very connected to the road, but sometimes leaves you wishing you could see over the cars in front of you (to judge traffic) and sometimes worry that other cars won't see you next to them when they are thinking about changing lanes, or backing up towards your parking space. The LEAF is a relatively tall vehicle and offers some benefits for visibility (both inwards and outwards) because of it. I wouldn't mind if the GENIII was a bit on the tall side even if stylistically it strays from some lower slung ideal.