Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen3 "BlueStar" 2-door coupe styling ideas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering the new hire this might indicate a possible direction.

rga_astonmartin_cars_beauty_one-77_01.jpg

Smooth out and remove the unnecessary air intakes, maybe give it a bit more cab forward design, has some possibilities.

Something special

Cab forward :biggrin:

View attachment 7626

I agree that aero should be even more important in the Gen III, unless they know about a battery cost and density breakthrough. Still no reason to ignore efficiency.

As I was reading the pages of this post I was thinking of posting this same car - I've been in love with it since seeing the Minority Report. I think / hope the new sports car design should be something special - something that stands out from from all others, something that looks futuristic. I think that Tesla has established itself as a "real" car company now and can get away with pushing the boundaries a bit further with their design now. With EV performance to match this beautiful design (or something similar) Tesla will have another hit on their hands.

I agree that aero should be even more important in the Gen III, unless they know about a battery cost and density breakthrough. Still no reason to ignore efficiency.
Not really as genIII will be even more targeted at everyday utility and less at highway driving.
Aerodynamics becomes predominant at highway speeds. At lower speeds (under 50) most of the energy is consumed by rolling resistance and parasitic loads (HVAC, lights, pumps, compressors, ....).
GenIII should (and would) have smaller, narrower and lighter wheels. And a heated steering wheel and stronger lowspeed regen that could stop the car.

Not really as genIII will be even more targeted at everyday utility and less at highway driving.
Not if they are targeting 200+ miles of range. It doesn't matter how an EV might be used, range sells, and the only range that really matters is on longer trips, so aero will be very important to get the most out of the pack to get a good EPA rated range. Since we know the best range possible comes around 25mph steady speed that means aero is still important at speeds below 50mph anyway.

Aerodynamics becomes predominant at highway speeds. At lower speeds (under 50) most of the energy is consumed by rolling resistance and parasitic loads (HVAC, lights, pumps, compressors, ....).
GenIII should (and would) have smaller, narrower and lighter wheels. And a heated steering wheel and stronger lowspeed regen that could stop the car.

I disagree about highway driving. In the US at least, most (~60%) of my 'city' driving is actually on interstate (freeway) at 70+mph. If they forgo aero to a point to only accommodate ~45mph speeds well, it would turn off a large portion of the large city drivers in the US at least.

I'm not impressed with modern styling trends. Tesla have little styling history of their own, but they've got the entire history of the automobile to borrow (or steal) from. So, why mimic the generic, forgettable, sort of chunky style of most cars on the road today? I say, take the most beautiful classic car designs ever made, slick them up, and re-badge them.

corvette_stingray.jpg

As far as two seaters are concerned, nothing else is as cool as the 1970s era Corvette Stingray. 45 years later it still looks like the future. Put it through the wind tunnel, replace all the creases and sharp edges with curves, and make it your own. (There was, in fact, a car designer in Europe some years back who did this. He built a custom Corvette with the melted-curves treatment. It was aerodynamic, it was fast, and it was beautiful. And I can't remember his name, and Google is no help at all.)

pontiac_firebird.jpg

If the proportions of the Stingray don't seem viable to achieve kind of packaging that we're looking for (with that looong hood and the cabin scrunched to the rear), then I might suggest the 1990s era Pontiac Firebird as another worthy design to emulate. It was always a strikingly sleek and semi-exotic looking vehicle that I think only suffered because it was never able to completely shake the cheesy associations that earlier design generations picked up from Smokey And The Bandit and from Knight Rider.

Oh, and you'll notice both of these cars have pop-up headlights. What ever happened to pop-up headlights?

Oh, and you'll notice both of these cars have pop-up headlights. What ever happened to pop-up headlights?

You mean range killing air scoops at night, or in bad weather, (which would also become finicky with time and refuse to open)? As for retro, that just says to me lack of imagination for new ideas. I'm expecting Tesla to come up with innovative, efficient, new designs.