Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps if you had watched some V12 drive videos you would understand the distinction. A normal departure for V12 is quite brisk. This newest version is markedly hesitant and slow. Omar commented on his disappointment with this latest version.
I just disagree with highlighting that as slow. Certainly quicker than my V11 build. The bike is barely past the car and it starts thru the intersection.
Let's not let perfect be the enemy of good.

There has been a flood of devices on aliexpress (maybe ebay as well) that install behind the steering wheel air bag in line with one of the scroll wheels. It randomly adjusts your volume up and down one click to defeat the nag.
Yep, you can once again thank the defeat device creators and users. The steering torque detection also got worse because of the whole defeat device mitigations they had to do.

Personally I'm not a fan of:

1. Significant rolling stop @ stop sign, and

2. Volume button no longer satisfies nag. i doubt it will ever return.

On the landscape screen cars, does the FSD engagement stalk satisfy the nag like it does on portrait screen cars like mine does today?

Both feel like significant safety concerns.
I'd have a hard time calling that a rolling stop, that was no stop at all lol just slowing down to take the turn at a comfortable speed

05:35 for a timestamp

Reactions: mgs333 and KArnold
In fact, if we approximate the previous estimate of 1:200 that would mean at any given time there are at least 4000 Tesla users pending 12.2.1
A typical rollout sans the influencers for a week since it was only one influencer. Now it goes out to about 1% random and Tesla watches for a week for any unintended bugs. They we likely get an update (12.2.2) and then rollout to more like 5% to test for a week. I say it is looking good and fast if anything. Hopefully most of us will see 12.2.3 in near no time at all.

I just tried FSD V12.2.1 the first time. The round trip was 40 minute long at night.

Positive: smooth turns at intersections. There was one short indecisive left turn in the middle of an intersection when seeing a car approached the intersection in the opposite direction though.

Disengagements: 3

2 disengagement because FSD took early exits before the correct exits.
1 disengagement because FSD crossed a double yellow lane a T section to make left turn. There was no car around though.
Is that better or worse than v11?

The V12 drive from FSD Arthur with some event times. Originally posted by @replicant, and some of these observations have been made upthread.

00:25 Nags can no longer be defeated with either scroll wheel
03:16 Driver requires wiper use before FSD
03:42 Rolls right turn at stop light. (5 mph)
03:42 Right turn, immediate move to left for left turn.
04:46 Slowing for railroad crossing (35 to 30 mph)
04:52 Slowing for speed bump (34 to 18 mph)
05:09 Accelerator intervention for left turn at stop sign
05:41 Rolls right turn at stop sign (10 mph)

• Helpful
Reactions: RabidYak and JHCCAZ
This is an example of cheaters making things worse for everyone.
Not exactly. I think the various defeats and workarounds and sitting in the backseat, etc. pushed Tesla to use the cabin camera, and make it work for attention monitoring.

This is a benefit for everyone - we definitely want the car to know when we are looking at the road. Long term it is safer for everyone. You can imagine that monitoring being a huge safety improvement even when not using FSD! (Not done yet, but in future…)

The wheel torquing is more arguable. Though it really shouldn’t be worse - it’s been proposed for a long time that Tesla distinguish a wheel weight from a person’s hand. It’s probably quite a different signature.

I personally don’t find the torquing to be a problem most of the time. Every now and again it seems to enter a weird mode where it really does not seem to detect torque no matter what, but seems more like a bug and goes away after disengaging. And it does not happen often (once every week or two).

Reactions: Pdubs and drtimhill
are you in CA? Looks the initial push to customers is CA focused, which more or less confirms Tesla believes its lower risk / better performing there
Yes. I think the reason I get V12 is Tesla needs more people to test in San Diego. Unlike SF, traffic in SD city streets is very fast. 50, 55mph on main street is normal. I disengage this morning because V12 still moved too close and too fast to the creeping line on a 50 mph street with heavy traffic and big trucks. I saw the creeping line too close to traffic on the screen. V11 had the same issue.

Last edited:
Is that better or worse than v11?
City street navigation in general is better. But there is a regression.
V12 failed to turn from street to my work place parking lot. It moved to a the turn lane then turned early and run about 1/2 foot over the gate dividing island. V11 did not move to the turn lane (because it's too short) and turn correctly.

V12 has a good behavior with right or left turn. When waiting for it's turn to make turn, it turns right away when the last car is about to enter the intersection. It's very natural and safe.

I'd have a hard time calling that a rolling stop, that was no stop at all lol just slowing down to take the turn at a comfortable speed

05:35 for a timestamp

Yep, it slowed to 10mph which is a bit faster than a rolling stop. Twice the blue path line appeared to indicate it planned to stop. Maybe with the line so far behind the stop sign FSD 'forget' there was a stop sign? Some similar T intersection training data likely has no stop signs so there could be valid reasons to barrel though. What is v12's 'memory' retention? The downside might be the longer it holds onto old stimuli the slower it might respond to new stimuli.

I agree that there will likely be a few issues needing training data set tweaking before it goes full release. Tesla wants to get this one as good as it can be.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB47394